TTC Service Changes

Mike

11 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I've been watching it on the maps for the last hour or two. It's running a lot like the 504/505 replacement bus: poorly. Buses are running in packs with gaps all around.

Pape buses are always like that. When I walk by on Carlaw, there will be a bus when I don't need one and nothing for 20 minutes when I really need one. The 100 is never good in reliability so this interlined isn't helping.

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Pape buses are always like that. When I walk by on Carlaw, there will be a bus when I don't need one and nothing for 20 minutes when I really need one. The 100 is never good in reliability so this interlined isn't helping.

There's a 4-pack of southbound buses near Jimmie Simpson park now and another southbound pack near Dundas. There's also a 4-pack of southbound buses near Concorde Place. The northbound service is very sparse at this exact moment. I knew forcing the 100 to Pape station would end in a dumpster fire. Their brilliant idea to interline 72/100 just added more garbage to the pile.

1 hour ago, CJ. said:

8 Broadview, 62 Mortimer, 31 Greenwood, 506c Carlton are also running with close-medicore service

506C was running very well in the last board. Did they not add enough running time for the Danforth detour? How much did they add?

JFC ... looking at Steve Munro's website, they added ZERO extra running time for the detour. They even cut running time (but increased layover time by the same amount). For very early morning they significantly cut the running/terminal time (I've no idea if it worked or not). https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2023/06/20230618_servicechanges_v2.2.pdf

What a F**** bunch of I***** M*****

41 minutes ago, nfitz said:

506C was running very well in the last board. Did they not add enough running time for the Danforth detour? How much did they add?

JFC ... looking at Steve Munro's website, they added ZERO extra running time for the detour. They even cut running time (but increased layover time by the same amount). For very early morning they significantly cut the running/terminal time (I've no idea if it worked or not). https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2023/06/20230618_servicechanges_v2.2.pdf

What a F**** bunch of I***** M*****

It goes..okay off peak. Rush hour is when it starts to become more and more inconsistent, and the buses get tied up in Danforth which is always congested due to 1 lane

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CJ. said:

While it does get better than 70C during rush hours, you still see 24 min during off-peak periods.

70C ran every 26 minutes during midday, 26 minutes early evening and 30 minutes late evening on weekdays. 8 is currently operating every 24 minutes midday, 15 minutes early evening and 20 minutes late evening. I'd say that's quite the improvement. Don't see how you can complain about that.

22 hours ago, CJ. said:

Furthermore, it seems like the buses are having terrible runtime which is affecting schedules on 62 Mortimer and 8 Broadview too. Almost every single bus on both routes is quite behind schedule because run time on 8 is way too short. With this inconsistency, they obviously won't follow the schedule and it'll most likely be all over the place but its time to see how it goes this week

The TTC has already acknowledged that there is insufficient running time on the 8/62. The schedule was made with the plan that the 8/62 would only operate to Broadview & Mortimer and not go south to Broadview Station. Plans at Broadview Station changed last minute and they couldn't adjust schedules or remove the interline in time. 

14 hours ago, wil9402 said:

70C ran every 26 minutes during midday, 26 minutes early evening and 30 minutes late evening on weekdays. 8 is currently operating every 24 minutes midday, 15 minutes early evening and 20 minutes late evening. I'd say that's quite the improvement. Don't see how you can complain about that.

The TTC has already acknowledged that there is insufficient running time on the 8/62. The schedule was made with the plan that the 8/62 would only operate to Broadview & Mortimer and not go south to Broadview Station. Plans at Broadview Station changed last minute and they couldn't adjust schedules or remove the interline in time. 

for the 8, yes on paper the 15-20 mins service looks good and is an improvement BUT in reality the service isnt even close to the schedule.  At times its 20-30 min between buses.  Just now I'm at Broadview stn and the next bus is in 26 min and Ive been waiting here at least 5 mins

9 hours ago, BusDude said:

for the 8, yes on paper the 15-20 mins service looks good and is an improvement BUT in reality the service isnt even close to the schedule.  At times its 20-30 min between buses.  Just now I'm at Broadview stn and the next bus is in 26 min and Ive been waiting here at least 5 mins

Err..there was also a complaint a couple days ago where the driver of the in service 8 Broadview bus decided to stall at St Clair/Victoria for 10-15mins to go buy a Burrito (probably got an extra layover or deadhead to the other end)

2 buses on 8 right now, both at Warden Station. 9 buses on 62 (including some of the rads, possibly more)..this is what happens when you go ahead with poor planning

Three of the four buses on 31 Greenwood were at Coxwell station a few minutes ago. 🙄

I was also watching 83 Jones and while it was operating normally, I looked away for about 30 minutes and now both buses are running 2-3 minutes apart with a 30 minute gap around the pair. It's almost like they never added a second bus to the route!

13 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Three of the four buses on 31 Greenwood were at Coxwell station a few minutes ago. 🙄

I was also watching 83 Jones and while it was operating normally, I looked away for about 30 minutes and now both buses are running 2-3 minutes apart with a 30 minute gap around the pair. It's almost like they never added a second bus to the route!

So basically it's operating normally. 🤣

On 6/21/2023 at 10:10 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Except for the watermain construction on Jones, and the divisional trainer with a student on the route, there is absolutely no excuse for the garbage service on the route, right?

Shute, it's one lane from Dundas to Queen on there right now, even the guy with the 52* badge is having trouble with it. That's one lane for both directions. Take a walk, it's more reliable.

4 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Except for the watermain construction on Jones, and the divisional trainer with a student on the route, there is absolutely no excuse for the garbage service on the route, right?

Shute, it's one lane from Dundas to Queen on there right now, even the guy with the 52* badge is having trouble with it. That's one lane for both directions. Take a walk, it's more reliable.

I disagree. There are LOTS of ways to make it reliability work around that. First of all, they might as well change the layover location which is currently Lakeshore Garage. Donlands Station would be better. Second, you can always add extra run time and modify the schedule, and throw an extra bus in there, better than tossing 10 buses (including the daily RAD buses) on 31 Greenwood during rush hours when at least half of them are just running empty. A detour does not hurt either, but its just poorly planned, corruption has widely spread across the system, they have their fair share of chances to make it work out but unfortunately this is the new norm for TTC and not just 83 Jones in general, but many other routes particularly streetcar routes are suffering in the same sense. We need a better leader. Get rid of Leary

1 minute ago, CJ. said:

I disagree. There are LOTS of ways to make it reliability work around that. First of all, they might as well change the layover location which is currently Lakeshore Garage. Donlands Station would be better. Second, you can always add extra run time and modify the schedule, and throw an extra bus in there, better than tossing 10 buses (including the daily RAD buses) on 31 Greenwood during rush hours when at least half of them are just running empty. A detour does not hurt either, but its just poorly planned, corruption has widely spread across the system, they have their fair share of chances to make it work out but unfortunately this is the new norm for TTC and not just 83 Jones in general, but many other routes particularly streetcar routes are suffering in the same sense. We need a better leader. Get rid of Leary

Huh? So watermain construction is Ricks fault?

I thought there was recovery time at both ends, that "senior" guy with the 51 or 52 badge seems to make it work

6 minutes ago, Turtle said:

If you slow enough, on a short your like Jones, you'll be on time again. Lol. 

83 Jones has certainly gotten busier in the last 10 years. I remember when they had one bus during off peak periods. Now you have everyone going to Canadian tire, and the employment south of Queen. Lesile barns. Etc. Danforth is one lane now too, slowing it down as well. 

3 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I thought there was recovery time at both ends, that "senior" guy with the 51 or 52 badge seems to make it work

Do you mean the same guy that has been doing the Jones bus since literally almost every single board period so far this year?

I don't blame Leary for construction, I blame Leary for corruption, garbage management, and obviously other levels of management in TTC must take blame for most of the service problems occurring to date. I emphasize Leary due to him being "on top" yet not doing jack about it. Please get him booted 

Just now, FlyerD901 said:

If you slow enough, on a short your like Jones, you'll be on time again. Lol. 

83 Jones has certainly gotten busier in the last 10 years. I remember when they had one bus during off peak periods. Now you have everyone going to Canadian tire, and the employment south of Queen. Lesile barns. Etc. Danforth is one lane now too, slowing it down as well. 

Danforth isin't a problem with the jones bus as it just barely does a jog to Jones Avenue. In a normal ideal situation the route would benefit from 3 buses off peak periods and 4 during peak. Donlands usually gets pretty decently crowded by the time the next 83 bus arrives

Just now, CJ. said:

Do you mean the same guy that has been doing the Jones bus since literally almost every single board period so far this year?

Yes, he has been doing it consistently for more than a few years, quite a nice guy actually. He knows how to do his job and keep schedule 99.9999% of the time unlike some of you spareboard lakeys.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Maybe coordination with the city and waterman work. But if they're adding rads, then TTC is doing their job. Only so much you can do. 

2 minutes ago, CJ. said:

Danforth isin't a problem with the jones bus as it just barely does a jog to Jones Avenue. In a normal ideal situation the route would benefit from 3 buses off peak periods and 4 during peak. Donlands usually gets pretty decently crowded by the time the next 83 bus arrives

Dude, I just witnessed a brand new operator in divisional training keep schedule and operate safely on the 83 the other day, what is your problem?

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

Yes, he has been doing it consistently for more than a few years, quite a nice guy actually. He knows how to do his job and keep schedule 99.9999% of the time unlike some of you spareboard lakeys.

I have to agree with that. There hasn't been a single day where I've seen him without a smile on his face, literally

1 minute ago, FlyerD901 said:

Maybe coordination with the city and waterman work. But if they're adding rads, then TTC is doing their job. Only so much you can do. 

But they aren't adding RADs, and if they do its not enough. Instead of adding 10 buses on 31 Greenwood at least some must be relocated to 83.Again, poor planning

3 minutes ago, CJ. said:

I don't blame Leary for construction, I blame Leary for corruption, garbage management, and obviously other levels of management in TTC must take blame for most of the service problems occurring to date. I emphasize Leary due to him being "on top" yet not doing jack about it. Please get him booted 

They had 4 buses briefly some years ago, but  that didn't last long. Probably construction related. I forget.

9 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Dude, I just witnessed a brand new operator in divisional training keep schedule and operate safely on the 83 the other day, what is your problem?

They started taking them all the way to Donlands to do training now? Lol

I don't have a problem with any operator, I have a problem with the supervisors, the schedule planners, the management...

8 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

They had 4 buses briefly some years ago, but  that didn't last long. Probably construction related. I forget.

Straight from Transit Toronto page: 

Disregard, not this one

10 minutes ago, CJ. said:

I don't have a problem with any operator, I have a problem with the supervisors, the schedule planners, the management...

Sounds like a cultural problem at TTC.

Why not apply to management and make those changes, address the issues your dealing with as an operator. 

Would TTC benefit more form an outsider as CEO or an insider that as more of an under to fix and address the issues at TTC?

10 minutes ago, CJ. said:

Straight from Transit Toronto page: 

Service frequencies are increased to approximately every fifteen minutes at all times of the operating day (sixteen minutes during the midday on weekdays) in order to reduce travel time for crews between Leslie Barns and relief points.

Im assuming you mean this?

Well, if they operate with only 3 buses during peak periods now, its not related to this. Or they'd still have that 4th bus. But I haven't been near Jones in years. 

The 4th bus was morning peak only at the time. Two buses midday , and 3 duting pm rush. And back to two late evening. 

Either way looks like a lot has changed

9 minutes ago, CJ. said:

Divisional training. Means a fully qualified student who passed their CZ driving test and most of their training gets to do the work of a divisional trainer. Could be on the 83. Could be on the 52A. Could be on anywhere that divisional trainer signed their work.

Could be a compressed crew, sorry for that student's luck, it'll will be a really long day in the seat.

That's how it works, but you should already know that if you are a qualified Birchmount operator

10 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Divisional training. Means a fully qualified student who passed their CZ driving test and most of their training gets to do the work of a divisional trainer. Could be on the 83. Could be on the 52A. Could be on anywhere that divisional trainer signed their work.

Could be a compressed crew, sorry for that student's luck, it'll will be a really long day in the seat.

That's how it works, but you should already know that if you are a qualified Birchmount operator

I am aware but I have noticed it has been routes near Birchmount itself. I seen this happen on 135 a couple times a week before the construction , 21,69,etc,etc. It depends where they want to send them for example (if there was further evaluation that the instructor saw fit after the original training then they would note down for them to be preferred to send on a route like 64,etc) And the newbies still struggle with that route