TTC Service Changes

Mike

^ buschic/TTC7350?

Okay, today one of my coworkers went to the public meeting today, armed with a printout of some 5 pages of stuff :P, and she wants to go to the one tomorrow too - same one I'm going to. Told her to wait for me so we can go together. Should have asked her for a copy for my own reference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Among some of the restorations of service...

They actually retained most of the service along the York Mills Corridor, totally sparing the 78 and 122 and only reducing the 115 to no service after 10pm.

And they even lessened the cut on the 120 Calvington to no service after 10pm from the original extreme draconian cut which would have left no service at all on Sunday.

A lot of recommendations to move the 115 service to run from Leslie Station. I think it's a good idea. But it may add an extra transfer for those who want to go to and from downtown.
Excactly, it is only a good idea if people from Silver Hills actually want to go the Sheppard. I suspect they are mostly heading downtown so this change would make service worse for them.

• 1 month later...
Well I guess the time has come the latest service summary is now available and with that the dreaded service cuts for the upcoming board period: :D

http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Se..._2011_05_08.pdf

I was curious to see if any other routes would be moved around come next board period but it looks like only 5 Avenue Rd will be. As most of you know by now, it is moving from Mt Dennis to Wilson.

EDIT:

I found another new route allocation for next board period. It looks like the 10 Van Horne will he shared between Wilson & Eglinton. I'm assuming that Wilson will continue to operate the peak period service while the off peak service when the 169A is not operating will be operated by Eglinton. Also, for those who don't know the 509, 511 and some 506 runs are being moved to Russel next board period temporarily due to track work taking place at Roncesvalles Yard reducing the amount of space in the yard.

Also, for those who don't know the 509, 511 and some 506 runs are being moved to Russel next board period temporarily due to track work taking place at Roncesvalles Yard reducing the amount of space in the yard.

Yeah, they're gonna hafta splice in 509 GREENWOOD & QUEEN and 511 GREENWOOD & QUEEN exposures into the CLRV rollsigns. :D

More seriously, I wonder what routing the cars will use to and from Russel. How often do streetcars use the south-to-east and west-to-north turns at Bathurst and King? (We know that works fine at Bathurst and Queen to get to Wolseley loop.)

On the other hand, running between Exhibition loop and King east kind of brings back the EXHIBITION EAST ENTRANCE streetcar era.

Well I guess the time has come the latest service summary is now available and with that the dreaded service cuts for the upcoming board period:

http://www3.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Se..._2011_05_08.pdf

Maybe this has been explained already and if so I apologize, but what are the "535 STANDBY CARS" at page 5 of the pdf document? Is it some sort of non-public route?

More seriously, I wonder what routing the cars will use to and from Russel. How often do streetcars use the south-to-east and west-to-north turns at Bathurst and King? (We know that works fine at Bathurst and Queen to get to Wolseley loop.)

Those turns at King & Bathurst have been used quite a bit the last year or two with various 511 detours. In fact just a couple weekends ago some 511s were using Queens Quay-Spadina-King during the 509/510 interline at Spadina & Queens Quay.

The PCC car they use in the summer on 509 goes exhibition-bathurst-king-queen to get back to russel.

Source: witnessed it several times

Maybe this has been explained already and if so I apologize, but what are the "535 STANDBY CARS" at page 5 of the pdf document? Is it some sort of non-public route?

Standby cars are cars that are dispatched to fill service gaps or to supplement service on the streetcar lines. They usually hang around the yard until CIS calls them to go into service somewhere.

Surprisingly, this doesn't show up in the May service summary but was voted on in the last meeting, the rerouting of the 12 Kingston Rd to serve Variety Village. The new routing will be called the 12A Kingston Rd, formerly the 12B, running between Victoria Park and Kennedy Stations via Variety Village and Brimley. With this change service will be removed from Kingston Rd between Birchmount and Danforth during weekday late evening and all weekend/holiday service.

12 Kingston Rd - Route change

Yeah, they're gonna hafta splice in 509 GREENWOOD & QUEEN and 511 GREENWOOD & QUEEN exposures into the CLRV rollsigns. :D

Doubt that will happen... more likely roll to a sign that is usable (504 GREENWOOD & QUEEN) since they might be using King to get back....

isnt it extremely hard to splice onto mylar?

I stand Corrected... :D

However, i still think that it will not happen for a temperary situation....

I believe the 510 runs in to Russel, and there is no exposure for that...

Usually, they'll put up a 510 KING sign or put up 504 GREENWOOD & QUEEN. There really isn't a 510 exposure for running into Russell.

Eh. Turns out there will be no cut back of service west of Laird Drive on the 56 for Sunday service.

or of any cut significant cut back on The Esplanade either 7 days a week.

Then again, should I speak too soon...?

Good! That Huntingwood bus is just totally useless at all times anyway.

How do you know it's useless? Maybe it's not. Have you rode that route frequently like I have? Have you lived anywnere along the route and actually noticed how long of a walk it takes to get to a North South route? For your info the walk can take around 20 minutes depending where in the community you live at and certain areas along the route has a good number of seniors that does use the 169 Huntingwood route because it's a shorter walk for them then walking 20 or so minutes to a North South route. Now I will admit to this because of my knowledge of this route is that the 169 Huntingwood route does not need to run till 1am. If anything Monday to Friday till 10pm, Saturdays till 7pm (Maybe 10pm but that's kinda pushing it) and Sundays till 7pm. Anything after those times the route is pretty much dead. This is coming from a person who lives along and uses the 169 Huntingwood route for 31 years ever since the 85A Sheppard East via Huntingwood days.