TTC Service Changes

Mike

Notices have been put up along Finch Ave East as well as at Scarborough Centre about the Finch service changes. Also at STC is are notices about the new bus bay assignments starting next week. 199 will take 134's bay right behind 129, 134 will move one bay back taking 130's spot and 130 will be moved to the other side to share the current 169 bay with 169.

Notices have been put up along Finch Ave East as well as at Scarborough Centre about the Finch service changes. Also at STC is are notices about the new bus bay assignments starting next week. 199 will take 134's bay right behind 129, 134 will move one bay back taking 130's spot and 130 will be moved to the other side to share the current 169 bay with 169.

is the 131 or 133 bays moving? I am asking, as I have a very close friend that is totally blind & he usese the 131 on a daily basis.

The TTC has made the new page for 199. The 39 page has only been edited halfway, it still says express next to 36G in the legend and it has the old map with the now eliminated branches. The 139 page has not been touched at all, it doesn't include Seneca College in its westbound stop list and it still has the now old map up.

A bit off topic, not sure whether I should have revived the TTC website thread or not, the TTC seems to be using the Holiday tab now on the schedule lists for each route. If you click on Holiday tab now it will give you the schedule for this Monday. Before when clicking it it would tell you to call 416-393-INFO. Let's see if the "next three scheduled buses" section will follow the weekday schedule or the holiday schedule on Monday.

A bit off topic, not sure whether I should have revived the TTC website thread or not, the TTC seems to be using the Holiday tab now on the schedule lists for each route. If you click on Holiday tab now it will give you the schedule for this Monday. Before when clicking it it would tell you to call 416-393-INFO. Let's see if the "next three scheduled buses" section will follow the weekday schedule or the holiday schedule on Monday.

The next three scheduled buses follows holiday schedules rarely if at all. I also notice say if you are planning to take a bus on any given night, for example, Friday Night on the Friday 1AM schedule, the next three scheduled buses shows Saturday 1AM times, since the system is standard date/time based and not time/event based, if you catch my drift.

The only routes changing bays are 130 and 134. None of the other routes are effected.

Here is a picture of the new bus bay layout.

DSC03860.JPG

Back to the 199 for a bit, has anyone been to the Finch and McCowan area lately? Are they building a farside stop westbound for the 199 buses?

The stop is now up. It is on the first hydro pole west of the intersection, in front of McDonalds. Also, they have installed the new signage at Scarborough Centre. I saw the 130/169 one, the 134 one was installed with the paper that was covering it pushed to the side to show the route name and number. As well there is a sign covered up above the 199 bay, not sure if it is the old 134 sign or the 199 one. Finch Station on the other hand I couldn't tell since most of those signs are covered due to the bay changes for construction.

Now that I think about it I'm curious to know if the 130 and 134 have started to use their new bus bays now even though the notice says effective October 12th.

I have a comment to make about the new 199 service. I rode it twice so far, and find it convenient, however...i find two problems or suggest two things to improve the service

First: Saturday service starts at 9am and ends at 6 something. I think this service has demand all day, just like the regular 39. I know the route is still new, however i find that to be a problem. The service also ends at 10pm. on weekdays, which is early if you think about it.

Second: NO Sunday Service. This now means that there is no express service on Sundays.

About 90% of the buses on the route are Orion V 7000 series. Is that done on purpose or by coincidence?

Overall i think the run time is very good, and it's an improvement over the 39E that existed before. Although the bus is usually empty minus about 10 people by the time you get to Mc Cowan.

First: Saturday service starts at 9am and ends at 6 something. I think this service has demand all day, just like the regular 39. I know the route is still new, however i find that to be a problem. The service also ends at 10pm. on weekdays, which is early if you think about it.

Second: NO Sunday Service. This now means that there is no express service on Sundays.

I'm pretty sure the 39E ended before/around that timeframe too..

Also, the 39 never had express service on Sunday.

I have a comment to make about the new 199 service. I rode it twice so far, and find it convenient, however...i find two problems or suggest two things to improve the service

About 90% of the buses on the route are Orion V 7000 series. Is that done on purpose or by coincidence?

Overall i think the run time is very good, and it's an improvement over the 39E that existed before. Although the bus is usually empty minus about 10 people by the time you get to Mc Cowan.

As dennyip has mentioned; 199 uses the buses that came off of 39C/E mostly so it makes sense that it runs within the same time period as the 39C/E (though I can't remember off the top of my head when the 39E started and finish on weekdays/Saturdays). 199 is suppose to be a lift route so obviously it uses the Vs; Malvern don't have enough LF buses to make 199 a LF route without making an existing LF route back to lift (or many existing LF routes since 199 uses quite a few of buses).

I would suggest the Saturday service starts at 8:15am. There is big demand for Seneca Saturday morning students who start their classes at 9am.

First: Saturday service starts at 9am and ends at 6 something. I think this service has demand all day, just like the regular 39.

As mentioned before, 199 is currently operating in the same time periods that 39E did before. I think ridership will grow slowly on this route to the point where they will start to expand service times on it similar to how 190 has had service increased since it started back in 2002.

As mentioned before, 199 is currently operating in the same time periods that 39E did before. I think ridership will grow slowly on this route to the point where they will start to expand service times on it similar to how 190 has had service increased since it started back in 2002.

I decided to take a spin on the 199 Saturday evening and about 8 people boarded at Scarborough Centre, bus #7006. All the buses coming southbound on Mc Cowan were empty. It was not until Finch when the passenger load increased to almost full seated. Still alot of confused passengers unsure of where the service stops and the driver was not too accommodating either. Apart from the construction fiasco at Finch subway the ride was relatively smooth will have to try it in the rush hour at some point.

I tried my first ride EB from Midland / Finch to Scarborough Centre last Saturday, the crowd of about 20-25 at Mccowan / Finch don't know the existence of the 199 or even they see an 199 bus coming, they don't have enough time to cross the road to catch the 199 bus. Therefore my bus was almost empty when it went along Mccowan.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh well we saw it coming. So what happens if Wilson still has some GM's after this date?

I'm thinking they will either be sent over to Mt Dennis, or used as spares, the otherr thing that could happen, (I dont like this thought) is they could be retired en-mass.

Here are a few subway closures that will be happening over the next few weeks:

Yonge-University-Spadina Line Midnight Closure - Downsview to St Clair West (November 14 to November 27)

Yonge-University-Spadina Line Midnight Closure - St Clair West to St. George (November 28 to December 4)

Yonge-University-Spadina Line Weekend Closure - Bloor to Union (November 27 and November 28)

I'm expecting a lot of shuttles will be needed for the weekend closure, probably every division will help out with that one. Not only because of the amount of passengers but the weekend traffic along Yonge St which will probably increase due to the subway closure.

EDIT:

Also, 145A branch will be extended to Royal York Rd from Park Lawn starting next board period:

145 Downtown/Humber Bay Express - Route change

Figure I'd throw this in here since I haven't seen anyone reporting it.

The east platform access at Broadview Station from the streetcar/bus platforms to the subway (you know, the one with "geotechnical problems") has been reopened. I went in today and it seems to have little to no water leaks or water stains left. Then again, I don't think we've had a heavy rain recently to produce anything like that.

Either way, it's good that they finally solved the problem (or appeared to). It's just too bad that the rebuild of Broadview Station looks more like a "let's test every type of shelter and support structure on the market" project. Looks very cheaply put together and poorly made. Many ideas run through my head of how they could have made it better. Some drastic, some not so much.

The east platform access at Broadview Station from the streetcar/bus platforms to the subway (you know, the one with "geotechnical problems") has been reopened. I went in today and it seems to have little to no water leaks or water stains left. Then again, I don't think we've had a heavy rain recently to produce anything like that.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it. It has been open since at least Tuesday, that is when I first noticed it opened.

A minor route change was made yesterday. The 29 Dufferin now travels straight down Dufferin through the new tunnel at Queen. No more TTC service on Gladstone or Peel, but I have a feeling the old Peel-Gladstone-Queen routing might become a new on-street short turn loop.

CityNews: New Dufferin Underpass Opens

Photo taken today:

9431.jpg

No more TTC service on Gladstone or Peel, but I have a feeling the old Peel-Gladstone-Queen routing might become a new on-street short turn loop.

Not for very long. Gladstone is slated to become one-way northbound in the spring, and I can't recall there being permission to turn left from southbound Dufferin to eastbound Queen - although I stand to be corrected on that.

Dan