Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

Why does the TTC continue to waste the space available on the displays in the ad spaces of the cars by displaying messages such as who funded the cars in 2 official languages? Why not display more useful information such as what routes are available at the next station, when the next one of each route is scheduled and if there are any delays on those routes? Does transit control have a way to transmit electronic data to each train while they are in the tunnels?

Why does the TTC continue to waste the space available on the displays in the ad spaces of the cars by displaying messages such as who funded the cars in 2 official languages? Why not display more useful information such as what routes are available at the next station, when the next one of each route is scheduled and if there are any delays on those routes? Does transit control have a way to transmit electronic data to each train while they are in the tunnels?

I agree with you... Also, I recommended to various people at the TTC and customer service to display delay info on the LED screens on the TRs. They all said it's an excellent idea yet Thats all I have ever heard of it

Displaying such signs is normally a condition of the funding. Presumably it's cheaper to continue to display the signs (which presumably would be for at least the duration of the deliveries, if not longer) than to refund the money to senior goverments if they choose not to display the signs.

Displaying such signs is normally a condition of the funding. Presumably it's cheaper to continue to display the signs (which presumably would be for at least the duration of the deliveries, if not longer) than to refund the money to senior goverments if the choose not to display the signs.

If that is the case, fine. Still doesn't explain why TTC doesn't use the displays for more useful information between the funding messages.

If that is the case, fine. Still doesn't explain why TTC doesn't use the displays for more useful information between the funding messages.

Be patient Mike, it's coming eventually. Even though the TRs have been in service for two years now, there are still some bugs to work out and some modifications to be made, and they haven't yet started using the wifi capabilities to their full potential. They did use the wifi capabilities to program in an extra automated announcement on trains turning at St George during the last time we did weekend turnbacks... but they're taking baby steps regarding it's use and it will still be a while yet before they begin using it as it was intended.

There are still more pressing issues to work out with the TRs before they start thinking about the displays.

There are still more pressing issues to work out with the TRs before they start thinking about the displays.
Thanks, at least you have confirmed that it is theoretically possible for the displays to be more useful.

When I was in Zurich a few years ago, the displays in streetcars that were roughly the same size as the ones in TRs were displaying route information at the next stops (which routes, next times, expected delays, etc..). Having at least that kind of info availalble "live" on TTC will go a long way toward getting us at least up to date to the late 20th century. :)

Be patient Mike, it's coming eventually. Even though the TRs have been in service for two years now, there are still some bugs to work out and some modifications to be made, and they haven't yet started using the wifi capabilities to their full potential. They did use the wifi capabilities to program in an extra automated announcement on trains turning at St George during the last time we did weekend turnbacks... but they're taking baby steps regarding it's use and it will still be a while yet before they begin using it as it was intended.

What extra announcement was played?

this is the TTC we are talking about here... at finch they installed station information screens, theyve been installed for months and still not activated.... with a sign on them that says "coming soon" with no date for when that will be (not like that matters, theyd just keep upping the date)

Kipling had the screens installed for like 8 months and they just turned them on few weeks ago. Half the routes weren't even listed! I called TTC and she seemed suprised and asked me what routes werent showing, and said they will look into it

oddly enough i happened to notice at finch yesterday they put a sign saying that they are supposed to be complete this month.... odd coincidence considering i ranted about that a week ago.....

The displays at Finch are operational. The ones beside the entrance (collector booths) didn't seem to display any bus route information only general info like station opening times and weather, but I didn't stick around long enough for the display to complete a full cycle.

At the bus level the displays showed all of the next bus times. Because I wasn't at the station long enough I couldn't tell if those were "theroretical" scheduled times or some sort of GPS inspired time. What I did notice though is that TTC doesn't consider complimentary routes in the way that they arranged things - what I mean is if you are going north on Yonge to Steeles you don't care if you take 53/60/97, but their schedules are on different displays so you either see 60/97 or 53. Granted that at Finch 53 is right next to the 60, but there are other stations where routes going in the same general direction may not have bays that are right beside each other.

I am sure it is possible to slightly reduce the font size on those displays and show all routes on all of the screens.

The displays at Finch are operational. The ones beside the entrance (collector booths) didn't seem to display any bus route information only general info like station opening times and weather, but I didn't stick around long enough for the display to complete a full cycle.

Those Station Information Screens only display the following items:

- Station name

- Routes that service that station

- E-alerts on the screen’s ticker

- Full-screen over-rides in the event of a major subway disruption

- Planned route diversion affecting the station

- First and last train arrival and departures times at the station

- Safety and marketing information

The main reasoning behind them is to provide information such as delays before customers pay their fare and get on the system, not to give next vehicle times.

any news on what TTC will do when set 581 arrives (just 5 more to get there ... I'm guessing late October)?

They'll carry on as usual. Barring the rare detour, the 5800 H6's only run on the B-D line, and the future 5800 TR's will only run on the YUS.

An operator on here already mentioned the fleet numbers don't mean much for normal day-to-day operations on the line.

I think the schedule displays at TTC Finch station use the same SQL as VIVA do to display the route schedules. I suspect it may look something like "min(locationtime - terminalscheduledtime) limit 2".

My thought was based on the observation that the system won't display a bus that has not left the station 4 mins after the scheduled time while the system shows the following 2 buses that are scheduled to leave in 2 or 3 mins.

At the bus level the displays showed all of the next bus times. Because I wasn't at the station long enough I couldn't tell if those were "theroretical" scheduled times or some sort of GPS inspired time. What I did notice though is that TTC doesn't consider complimentary routes in the way that they arranged things - what I mean is if you are going north on Yonge to Steeles you don't care if you take 53/60/97, but their schedules are on different displays so you either see 60/97 or 53. Granted that at Finch 53 is right next to the 60, but there are other stations where routes going in the same general direction may not have bays that are right beside each other.

I am sure it is possible to slightly reduce the font size on those displays and show all routes on all of the screens.

Something else I noticed today. The 53 local and express branches weren't listed on the same information screen.

It appears the TR announcements have been updated recently. They have removed the "Interchange Station" portion of the annoucement, along with that text on the displays at those stops. The maps continue to blink to show the connection however.

It appears the TR announcements have been updated recently. They have removed the "Interchange Station" portion of the annoucement, along with that text on the displays at those stops. The maps continue to blink to show the connection however.

i always thought that was awkward and largely unnecessary, we have like what 4 interchange stations on the yonge line (sheppard,bloor,spadina,st george) its not like new york etc....

dont often go to the bus terminal at finch so i didnt noticed that one, but i did see the one near the collector booth was operational, though not the secondary one near the automated entrance

Anyone notice some trains no longer say include the "Interchange station" part in the announcements. Last week I was on the YUS and the announcements said "Arriving at Bloor-Yonge, Bloor-yonge station".

Thats too bad! I actually really like the "interchange station" part of the announcement. Lets remmber that not everyone in Toronto knows the interchange station of the top of their heads (i'm mainly talking about tourists who may not know our system). Heck, a lot of people don't even know Spadina is an interchange station. I guarantee you if there was ever a temporary problem at St.George, a lot of people wouldnt even know how to use Spadina to get around the issue (the walk over isnt really as bad as people make it out to be).

Thats too bad! I actually really like the "interchange station" part of the announcement. Lets remmber that not everyone in Toronto knows the interchange station of the top of their heads (i'm mainly talking about tourists who may not know our system). Heck, a lot of people don't even know Spadina is an interchange station. I guarantee you if there was ever a temporary problem at St.George, a lot of people wouldnt even know how to use Spadina to get around the issue (the walk over isnt really as bad as people make it out to be).

It's a good idea, but implemented wrong. Instead of saying "Next stop is interchange station Bloor-Yonge, Bloor-Yonge station", the announcements should be "Next stop is Bloor-Yonge, Bloor-Yonge station. Passengers can transfer to the Bloor-Danforth line at this station". Similar to VIVA's announcements, but I don't think they're patented! ;)

Yes it's longer, but it gets the point across much clearer and will avoid confused tourists thinking that there is a station named Interchange (because of the robot lady's accent on the word interchange).