Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

Happened upon that set around 4PM and rode from Queen's Park to Union. Set is numbered outside 5781-5782-5803-5784-5785-5786 and is numbered 5781-5782-5783-5784-5785-5786 inside.

[5783].jpg

[5803%205784.jpg

Sorry I messed up previous post ... not understanding I guess how to add a photo into post. 2nd photo (blurred) is attempting to show 5803 coupled to 5784. Note: H5 5784 had been my favourite for many years (5784 was my employee number) and I had the pleasure of being the only rider on a short-turn out of Glencairn in June 2012. It was last in service August 2012. Now 5784:2 appears and is "in the news" so to speak with this odd numbering situation. So can I presume that set 578 has the "3" car from set 580, set 579 is in service, and set 580 is missing it's "3" car. Is the car I rode today (5783 inside) now 5783:3 [5783 original would be the H5, 5783:2 came delivered with 578 set and now we have 5783:3 with new numbers inside but original numbers outside. Odd!

What is causing these fires?

Is it the speakers from all the yelling? :P

Something electrical. :D

I heard the first fire had something to do with faulty wiring in a heater. I don't know about this one, but it was bad enough to cause enough damage to it that the car had to be removed from the trainset. I heard that it was something underneath the car that was faulty and was arching.

My sources are not reliable, more gossip than anything. This is what I got - it was on a Friday in service, there was smoke coming from underneath, they cut power. When they restored power to get it out of the way, it started arching badly enough that some equipment melted off, and a hole got burnt into the floor.

When you are dealing with 600v at the current levels those things use, stuff is bound to happen new or old.

Is it me or is it some Toronto rocket trains I was on said "The next station is interchange station. Bloor-Yonge. Bloor-Yonge Station"

Some trains just keep saying "The next station is Bloor-Yonge. Bloor-Yonge Station."

I was on the trial train with the yellow straps. I think it was car 5463 I was on. It was pretty good with the additional straps, but having to hear two different sounds when the doors are closing. The "three chimes" when the doors are closing and "Please stand clear of the doors" message. I think it was okay, but I was on the inside of the train. Don't know how people would feel when they hear from the outside.

Is it me or is it some Toronto rocket trains I was on said "The next station is interchange station. Bloor-Yonge. Bloor-Yonge Station"

Some trains just keep saying "The next station is Bloor-Yonge. Bloor-Yonge Station."

They were all calling it "interchange station" originally. If some aren't saying that any more, then presumably the others still need being updated.

The trainset with 5803 out of sequence at St. George station last Friday:

Just read the description in the video and it says that one "Toronto Rocket" train due to electrical problems that were caused at "Finch Station."

I hope that train can be repaired because I don't think I want to use a "subway train" with damaged components. Other than that, the trains have been pretty reliable except for the "door issue" which is the one where if the doors get jammed "three times in a row", it has to be put out of service and be reset.

I asked Brad Ross that question on Twitter and he said that "progress is being made to repair the glitch." I don't know how often these "door jams" happen, but apparently enough to bring down the reliability of the Yonge-University-Spadina line to under the expected reliability of 96 percent.

I don't know if anyone else has any additional info. I had one close call, but other than that, I have not witnessed a "door jam" that puts the train out of service. But, still heard that "fixes are being applied."

So, to keep my head straight:

For TRs: Sets 538 thru 577 are intact and in service except for set 54X which has gone to Kingston or Thunder Bay for testing/retrofitting.

Set 578 is in service with the "3" car from set 580 numbered 5783 inside and 5803 outside.

Set 579 is in service.

Set 580 has cars 1, 2, 4, 5 arrived and 6 in-transit from Thunder Bay.

I'm going to also presume that 5783:2 is stored fire damaged pending repair.

The $64 question is whether the 5783 that arrived at Wilson yesterday was 5783 II returning from being repaired, or 5783 III replacing 5783 II. (Never mind whether you consider 5803 II to be 5783 III and which would make a new 5783 actually 5783 IV.)

Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.

If the TR cars had serial number plates in the cars it would make things a bit easier, but as far as I know they are only assigned in the builder's records, like the T-1s. Keep an eye on the exterior numbers of 5803/5783.

I would highly doubt that they don't have serial number plates. I suspect that they are more like the GO BiLevels that have been built of late, where there is a serial plate, but it is located in a location that isn't readily accessible to the public. (Much to our chagrin.)

Dan

I have just went on a "Toronto Rocket" which had all its electronics down. It was car 5453 which I was on. But, don't have the whole train number for all six cars.

Has anyone ever went on a train which had all the electronics down such as route map, display, announcements and safety announcements in that little window? I think it would be a bit hard for new people and normal riders to ensure they got off at the right station or know which direction they went.