Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

546* set has received some modifications. On 5461 and 5462, external speakers have been placed above each doorway for the door opening/closing chime. The blue LED wheelchair lights have been placed back on those cars. 5463-6 have the previous modifications with the speaker in place of the blue LED light, although there are indications marked above each door where the newer style speakers might go. Inside, the internal door chime is no longer played, rather the "Stand Clear" announcement is played at the same time the external chime goes off. Hopefully this modification rolls around to the other TR's soon. Seemed to work great!

I'm sure you could attach them in the axle. Like this? http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/images/maintain/

I was under the impression that the flat spots occourr because the brakes are overly efficient, causing the wheels to lock up and drag? Or the operators are too hard on the brakes? One of the operators told me the aren't like the old cars and dont have very good brakes.

Out of curiosity, has the TTC ever considered using the Disc-type brakes found in the bombardier Bi-Levels, that would reduce the number of flats, but would there be problems with the more protruded wheel coming in contact with the 3rd rail and other equipment (trip arms etc)?

Disc brakes would not necessarily help prevent flat spots, and can in fact in some cases lead to additional flat spots being caused.

That said, they can be located inboard of the wheels - like on the CLRVs or LRC cars.

For the record, Bi-Level cars have a single disc brake on each axle, and tread brakes on each wheel.

Dan

So what can we do to prevent flat spots other than ask operators to be more careful.

Interesting how they should have known this would occur considering all the cold weather testing they did in Kingston. And their experience with T1 flat spots.

Could it be due to poor profiling or the rail? The trains not making good contact with the rail surface?

• 2 weeks later...

5821-5826 has been in service for at least a few days. This weekend it was parked at Davisville on the Lola Rd dead-end track.

In addition, 5831-5836 was in service today (Sunday, 29th of December).

Thanks. Do you have a first date spotted in service for 5821-26?

That's the "North Tail Track" in official terminology.

Do you have a first date spotted in service for 5821-26?

Sorry, I don't. I saw both sets for the first time yesterday.

However, judging by the fact that the last 6-car T1 consist (car #'s: 5212 to 5217) was transferred to Greenwood on the weekend before Christmas, that event probably coincided with the 582x set entering service, give or take a few days.