Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

I think it would be a bit hard for new people and normal riders to ensure they got off at the right station or know which direction they went.
Normal riders don't need those displays to tell them to get off - knowing where to get off and what direction they are going is what makes them normal. :) If you were on 5453, then the rest of the train was 5451-5456.

Normal riders don't need those displays to tell them to get off - knowing where to get off and what direction they are going is what makes them normal. :) If you were on 5453, then the rest of the train was 5451-5456.

Give it a few years, that will soon change. And watch the complaints skyrocket

I would highly doubt that they don't have serial number plates. I suspect that they are more like the GO BiLevels that have been built of late, where there is a serial plate, but it is located in a location that isn't readily accessible to the public. (Much to our chagrin.)

Dan

Probably under the car somewhere!

There was a Toronto fire investigation at Finch this evening, some plastic burning smell (similar to those came out from buses) came out from the underneath somewhere between 5615 and 5614., some sign of smoke was obvious on part of the windows inside 5614.

The station was evacuated and platform 2 remained closed after the service resumed

There was a Toronto fire investigation at Finch this evening, some plastic burning smell (similar to those came out from buses) came out from the underneath somewhere between 5615 and 5614., some sign of smoke was obvious on part of the windows inside 5614.

The station was evacuated and platform 2 remained closed after the service resumed

Just a coincidence that it was a TR. It wasn't the train that was the problem.

It was something to do with a defective hanger on the third rail cover board. A bolt came loose on the gooseneck and did some funky stuff when the collector shoe went by. Part of the cover board caught fire. Near the south end of platform #2 (east side platform) right by the escalator there is about 5 ft of toasted cover board.

Is the train run number assigned by Transit Control? There was a train yesterday where the operator was calling transit control once he left eglinton about the fact that the train would not display the run number on the front display or the operators display.

Is the train run number assigned by Transit Control? There was a train yesterday where the operator was calling transit control once he left eglinton about the fact that the train would not display the run number on the front display or the operators display.

Yes. Maybe the operators display might've failed during the trip on that train or that it's a new run Transit Control hasn't added yet.

Has anyone additional info on the status of sets 580 and 581? I believe set 579 is in service although I've yet to spot it. Last report has set 578 with the "oddball" 3 car.

579 is out in service, and has been for the past week or so.

580 was spotted assembled and testing in the yard earlier this week. 5783 was installed in it in place of 5803.

Dan

Nov 12 AM: Set 578 with 5783(inside)/5803(outside) on St. Clair West turnback this morning. Strange that they renumbered the car inside. I guess 20 years from now it will a footnote in the "History of the TRs". Just hope there is no security issue that revolves around the cars number ... Won't post again unless the set is altered in some way.

Nov 12 AM: Set 578 with 5783(inside)/5803(outside) on St. Clair West turnback this morning. Strange that they renumbered the car inside. I guess 20 years from now it will a footnote in the "History of the TRs". Just hope there is no security issue that revolves around the cars number ... Won't post again unless the set is altered in some way.

The "guy blocking the door" video incident a couple of weeks ago occurred on this transet but on a different car.

Are the TR and T1 trains slower than H1 and H2 trains?

Maybe they seem slower because they have a smoother ride?

Possibly, or maybe the throttle is a little weaker. Well, the Hawkers don't have speedometers so that's kinda tough to tell. Also, could be the operators have been trained not to overspeed like the previous ones did back in the mid 1960's when the early Hawkers came on the system.