TTC in the news

buschic

I believe in the above situations they're just being pronounced as spelled for emphasis, rather than being a literal letter-for-letter acronym. "WTFFFFFFFF" would also fall under that. However you may be just trolling, I can't quite tell.

Anyways, Byford has issued a memo to staff on demonstrating appropriate behaviour: http://www.thestar.c...break-the-rules

And some of the City surplus money will go toward the new streetcars: http://www.thestar.c...-new-streetcars

Dumber than that typo? Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Your equating a typo to doing something so spectacularly stupid that your force the CEO of a 10,000+ organization to make a press release?
People need to stop being such attention hogs when it comes to the TTC. This has been stated many times, but if a driver isn't doing something right then just go up to them and tell them. Or get off. No need to take a video and make it viral. <_<
Oh, it's the passengers fault for reporting the idiot who was driving the train?
Please, enlighten me if I have further missed your point.
Personally, I'd prefer that if some fool was to walk in front of the train on that open track north of Bloor street, that the operator would actually have time to notice him in the bushes nearby, blow his horn, and slow down to minimize the injury, than than texting something. Is that a bad thing? Not sure why you are trying so hard to justify such idiotic behaviour.

Your equating a typo to doing something so spectacularly stupid that your force the CEO of a 10,000+ organization to make a press release?

Oh, it's the passengers fault for reporting the idiot who was driving the train?

Personally, I'd prefer that if some fool was to walk in front of the train on that open track north of Bloor street, that the operator would actually have time to notice him in the bushes nearby, blow his horn, and slow down to minimize the injury, than than texting something. Is that a bad thing? Not sure why you are trying so hard to justify such idiotic behaviour.

I don't think anybody is trying to justify his behavior, it's plain wrong, no doubt but I think they are trying to suggest that you consider yours. Your extreme outrage is pathetic, put this situation in context, it's not a wide spread problem and it's not like any one was injured. Obviously it must be stopped and the offender punished but the media circus and armchair cricket outrage is simply pathetic in my opioin.

Our mayor has been accused of using his phone while driving several times. I'm sure statistics would show that his behavior is many more times more dangerous than a subway operator texting while driving. Next time you see someone driving and texting or with a phone in their hand I hope you get as bent out of shape, they are putting you in far more danger.

yeah but he didnt report the driver directly to the proper authoritys, he used youtube......... seams like a person who really isnt that concerned, just like the jerk who posted a picture of that one sleeping collector for a laugh and it went viral,

I don't think anybody is trying to justify his behavior, it's plain wrong, no doubt but I think they are trying to suggest that you consider yours. Your extreme outrage is pathetic, put this situation in context, it's not a wide spread problem and it's not like any one was injured. Obviously it must be stopped and the offender punished but the media circus and armchair cricket outrage is simply pathetic in my opioin.
Extreme outrage? I haven't even suggested he be fired. I'm simply surprised at those here who seem to condone such stupid behaviour. Not sure how disagreeing with someone is equated with extreme outrage!

Not a widespread problem? Who HASN'T seen a streetcar driver or bus driver using a cellphone for talking or texting while driving. Certainly not common on subways ... though there's so few spots where you have coverage.

yeah but he didnt report the driver directly to the proper authoritys, he used youtube......... seams like a person who really isnt that concerned, just like the jerk who posted a picture of that one sleeping collector for a laugh and it went viral,
I don't see an issue on where he posted it. There's no right for a driver to be protected from their stupidity. The poster broke no law. It's not like the sleeping station attendant where there was a medical issue involved.

If operators are going to break the law, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't expect video of this showing up in public. I'm surprised that so many here are so interested in protecting the non-existent rights of the driver, than those he put in mortal danger.

This goes deeper than you guys could ever imagine. It's like the mindfuck at the end of fight club.

I believe in the above situations they're just being pronounced as spelled for emphasis, rather than being a literal letter-for-letter acronym. "WTFFFFFFFF" would also fall under that. However you may be just trolling, I can't quite tell.

Yes, I extra "F"ed for a little bit of comic relief. The rest of my comment still stands.

This goes deeper than you guys could ever imagine. It's like the mindfuck at the end of fight club.

I agree..

I have spoken with a couple of friends who are collectors, former bus drivers, most of them love being in the booth, but also say that Don Mills as well as others are mindless sloth inspired 8+ hours of utter boredom... besserion is a good example, as is McCowen...

Also the collectors are really nervous about dupont, its currently getting to be a unwanted spot, its been subject to many call-ins, no-shows & stress induced sick-leave..

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/07/different-versions-of-what-happened-on-a-ttc-bus

TORONTO -

A TTC passenger is contemplating pressing private confinement charges against a bus driver, alleging he refused to let people off a smoking transit vehicle after an aerosol can exploded.

The TTC, however, disputes the accusation.

Faye-Lize King, 66, heard a blast erupt from the back of the 32 Eglinton West bus she was on around 9 p.m. Saturday and said she saw black smoke billowing out as the vehicle neared Keele St. and Eglinton Ave. W.

“Everybody panicked and they were like cattle; it was every person for themselves,” she said Monday.

“We all thought it was a bomb. There was another bus driver sitting at the front and he blocked the door and said, ‘You can’t get out. There’s nothing happening.’”

King said other passengers on the packed bus continued to push her towards the TTC employee.

“The driver not letting us out said, ‘You pushed me, this is TTC abuse,’” she said. “He kept yelling, ‘TTC abuse. You’re going to be arrested’ and ‘This is all on camera.’”

Meanwhile, King said a stroller containing the baby was knocked over and the child’s mother tried shielding the infant on the floor.

“These people, they just walked over her back, her arm was full of bruises,” King said, wiping away tears.

”Her jaw was hurt and this bus driver, he held us there. Two or three times I said, ‘Let us out.’ It was just horrendous.”

Toronto Police Staff-Sgt. Richard McKeown confirmed the infant was not harmed and a few people suffered minor injuries. No one required treatment at hospital.

A TTC spokesman offered a different version of the events.

“In this person’s duffel bag was an aerosol canister used to spray dust off your keyboard. For whatever reason the top broke off and made this loud bang on the bus,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross.

“Meanwhile, in the front of the bus, we had another operator in uniform that was on the bus. There was a customer on the bus — a woman who was being difficult prior to the incident. The bus pulled over and this woman, who was being difficult began shaking the baby stroller and the child came out.”

Ross said as people charged to the front, the uniformed operator tried to keep people calm. There was no smoke, according to witnesses, he said.

“He wasn’t blocking the exits, he was trying to take charge of the situation so no one would trample this baby,” he said. “The matter is still being looked at by us and Toronto Police. We’ll be going through video surveillance tape (captured on the bus).”

TTC management is not considering any disciplinary action against the employees on the bus.

I wonder if that was 1008 the woman was on that had that problem. I only saw video of 1677 and (couldn't see in the blur due to movement) 1001 both on 32.

What struck me is the fact TTC is actually supporting and standing with their employee`s side of the story, rarely if ever happens. What with the almighty customer is always right credo. Yeah right. <_<

Minor injuries reported after TTC buses collide

Wed May. 09 2012 Paul Johnston, cp24.com

Seven people are being transported to hospital with minor injuries after two Toronto Transit Commission buses collided Wednesday afternoon, Toronto Emergency Medical Services said.

Toronto police said the buses collided at Triton Road and McCowan Road at around 2:30 p.m.

The accident has not caused any service delays, the TTC's Jessica Martin said.

Police are currently investigating the cause of the collision.

http://www.cp24.com/...9/?hub=CP24Home

Based on the footage it looked like a Malvern NG Hybrid got rear ended by a Birchmount NG. I didn't see the fleet numbers but the 8100 was definitely not 8100 or 8101, it had black rear doors.

More info in CP24's article:

Bus comes to sudden stop, 9 injured

Nine people have been taken to hospital with minor injuries after being thrown to the floor of a TTC bus as it came to a sudden stop Thursday morning.

It happened near Bay and Wellesley streets at around 9 a.m.

Police say the driver of the bus was changing lanes when he had to slam on the breaks to avoid colliding with another vehicle.

An estimated 45 to 60 people were on the bus at the time.

"Right now we are reviewing the video evidence, taking statements from witnesses, gathering other evidence and then we will determine whether charges will be laid," Sgt. Brian Maslowski told CP24. "Everybody is cooperating, which is great and that's what we need to complete a thorough investigation."

The nature of injuries is not known, but Maslowski said most people just had "bumps and bruises".

One of the passengers on the bus at the time described a "chaotic" scene.

"I just felt the bus suddenly break and then all of a sudden it was just people flying," Arlene Davis told CP24. "People were screaming and yelling and just trying to help each other."

Davis said that she believes an overcrowded bus could have triggered the incident; however TTC Spokesperson Danny Nicholson told CP24 that the 45 to 60 people onboard at the time were "normal" for the time of day.

"Obviously at that time of day people will be standing, but there is not an overcrowding issue on that bus line," he said.

Police have ruled out alcohol as a factor.

http://www.cp24.com/...7/?hub=CP24Home

Davis said that she believes an overcrowded bus could have triggered the incident; however TTC Spokesperson Danny Nicholson told CP24 that the 45 to 60 people onboard at the time were "normal" for the time of day.

I guess the TTC "Spokesperson" hasn't ridden any one of the many routes which are "normal" and "overcrowded" every day.

I guess the TTC "Spokesperson" hasn't ridden any one of the many routes which are "normal" and "overcrowded" every day.

Nicholson clearly means that TTC has many buses carrying those loads without passengers being injured. The cause wasn't the loading, but the traffic situation that caused an emergency reaction by the driver.

I agree that average loads should be lower (e.g. higher service levels) but that's not what is being argued here.

Nicholson clearly means that TTC has many buses carrying those loads without passengers being injured. The cause wasn't the loading, but the traffic situation that caused an emergency reaction by the driver.

I agree that average loads should be lower (e.g. higher service levels) but that's not what is being argued here.

I think Nicholson is being a bit disingenuous. Of course the TTC regularly carries heavy loads without injury; operators are trained (I presume) to drive safely. However, there is definitely a correlation between crowding and the chance of injury in the (rare) cases where a vehicle must make an emergency stop.

The least-safe conditions, in my experience and opinion, are those when a vehicle is overcrowded. There are more people than handrails, and no way to take a step or hop to maintain your balance. I have certainly seen this level of crowding on Queen cars; fortunately the operators are good enough to avoid having to go into emergency.

I think Nicholson is being a bit disingenuous. Of course the TTC regularly carries heavy loads without injury; operators are trained (I presume) to drive safely. However, there is definitely a correlation between crowding and the chance of injury in the (rare) cases where a vehicle must make an emergency stop.

The least-safe conditions, in my experience and opinion, are those when a vehicle is overcrowded. There are more people than handrails, and no way to take a step or hop to maintain your balance. I have certainly seen this level of crowding on Queen cars; fortunately the operators are good enough to avoid having to go into emergency.

I totally agree with you.

The Bay service has been cut time and time again over the years, IMO there has been no justification for this other than the fact that would be passengers could choose to use the subway as an alternative.

Overcrowded vehicles are not unusual and operators are trained to cope but this should not be the norm, what about loading standards?

Ridership has increased but the subsidy was decreased by our mayor and his cronies due to a supposed budget shortfall, which was, surprise surprise, a manipulative fabrication of the true situation.

The interviewed passenger also made reference to the rear steps being unsafe, I'm inclined to agree. The Orion Vii has the steepest rear steps in the industry, they are steeper than the building code would allow. In comparison the NFI and Nova products have a more standard rear step height. Oh well they don't really make them anymore, good riddance to the Vii. :D

I totally agree with you.

The Bay service has been cut time and time again over the years, IMO there has been no justification for this other than the fact that would be passengers could choose to use the subway as an alternative.

Overcrowded vehicles are not unusual and operators are trained to cope but this should not be the norm, what about loading standards?

Ridership has increased but the subsidy was decreased by our mayor and his cronies due to a supposed budget shortfall, which was, surprise surprise, a manipulative fabrication of the true situation.

The interviewed passenger also made reference to the rear steps being unsafe, I'm inclined to agree. The Orion Vii has the steepest rear steps in the industry, they are steeper than the building code would allow. In comparison the NFI and Nova products have a more standard rear step height. Oh well they don't really make them anymore, good riddance to the Vii. :D

You just had to put your 2 cent rant on the VII. lol :D

There is certainly a case to be made that if they hadn't have started with the cutbacks in the 1990s that the ridership wouldn't be as low as it is now, but that same case could be made for many routes as well. And let's face it, the subways have affected a lot of routes negatively because they are so close and convenient....Church bus, anyone?

Dan

There is certainly a case to be made that if they hadn't have started with the cutbacks in the 1990s that the ridership wouldn't be as low as it is now, but that same case could be made for many routes as well. And let's face it, the subways have affected a lot of routes negatively because they are so close and convenient....Church bus, anyone?

For a while in the late '80s, the Bay trolley coach was a reasonable alternative to the overcrowded subway. There were a lot of TCs out, and more than a few took the Bay St. "Urban Clearway" seriously, blasting anyone in the way with their air horn. And of course the TCs accelerated way better than the prevalent GM and Flyer buses of the day.

Then came the recession, it was actually possible to get on the subway in peak hours, and Bay got cut way back. These days, it's a much less attractive alternative to the subway, though I have used it (and the downtown 97 Yonge branch) as such from time to time.

It will be interesting to see what the upcoming (end of July) route extension to the new George Brown facility at Sherbourne/Queens Quay, and more frequent buses south of Dundas does to demand. With so many trips expected to originate south of the Gardiner (with the extra service now being between Queens Quay and Wellington rather than between Edward and Yorkville), I'd expect many to just stay on the bus on Bay, rather than bothering to change to the subway at Union.

I have to wonder about the Yonge/Wellington/Bay loop though ... not sure quite where they are expecting those on the short-turning buses to actually get off the bus and walk to the subway - corner of Wellington and Yonge I guess, and walk to Melinda entrance of King ... the TTC document seems to try and avoid discussing this aspect of the new service - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2012/March_30/Reports/TTC_service_to_Georg.pdf)

I have to wonder about the Yonge/Wellington/Bay loop though ... not sure quite where they are expecting those on the short-turning buses to actually get off the bus and walk to the subway - corner of Wellington and Yonge I guess, and walk to Melinda entrance of King ... the TTC document seems to try and avoid discussing this aspect of the new service - http://www.ttc.ca/Ab...ce_to_Georg.pdf)

They don't seem at all to avoid discussing this aspect, as the report mentions connections to the rapid transit network at Union and Bay Subway Stations.

...the route will provide service between Union Station on the Yonge-University Subway and the new campus. ...