Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

Here's one that really got me upset today.

While I was at the Tim Horton's on Jane at Major Mack this afternoon, I noticed two driving school cars, both with a student and instructor from the same company, pull into the parking lot. Both instructors got out of the car, leaving the students unattended. They went into the Tim Horton's, ordered their coffees, and actually stayed in the Tim Hortons while drinking their coffees to chat! All while the students were waiting for them in the cars! Talk about unprofessional!

The instructors were in there for at least 10 minutes before I left in disgust.

That is at least 10 minutes out of their hour class that they paid for gone to waste...and not that it would be made up for either.

If I was the student, I would have gone inside, made a scene inside the Tim's telling them how I felt, then drive off with the car.

While I was at the Tim Horton's on Jane at Major Mack this afternoon, I noticed two driving school cars, both with a student and instructor from the same company, pull into the parking lot. Both instructors got out of the car, leaving the students unattended. They went into the Tim Horton's, ordered their coffees, and actually stayed in the Tim Hortons while drinking their coffees to chat! All while the students were waiting for them in the cars! Talk about unprofessional!

That sounds like my days as a student driver a number of years ago. We had to stop at least once during every session so the instructor could buy snacks!

That is at least 10 minutes out of their hour class that they paid for gone to waste...and not that it would be made up for either.

If I was the student, I would have gone inside, made a scene inside the Tim's telling them how I felt, then drive off with the car.

or film it lol

Should of taken a pic/video and sent it to the media/their boss.

Its when you're driving so much slower than everyone else that it makes your car like an obstacle, rendering you a moving hazard.

As someone who always drives the speed limit (or slower in bad weather), I can tell you this is only true if you are going BELOW the speed limit in good driving weather/clear roads.

My high school has 1200 students and two pay phones so it is about the same but at the same time since there are cell phones, those pay phones don't see much use.

My high school had about 2500 students and we have 3 payphones. And we never had a payphone issue.

So it works out.

I think my high school had a couple pay phones, but you could use the phone in the general office if you asked nicely. I never saw many people talking on those pay phones. Guess there wasn't much to talk about back then. Besides, all your friends usually went to the same school - didn't need to phone them. The only time you used the phone was if you were sick and had to call a parent to say you were coming home. Generally we waited until we got home to use the phone. Stuff *really could wait* until then.

girls who give "church hugs". I (among others) AM NOT TOXIC!! What are they afraid of that they have to hug so loosely?? Oil? Tar? Sewage? WHAT!?!?!?!?! I like tight and valuable hugs better!!!

Yes...your friendly neighborhood Bus Wizard is a hugger. Never forget it.

People who do 80 kph on the 417. I know it's legal since 100 kph is just a maximum speed limit but it's still annoying.

Wrong, doing less than the speed limit can in many cases be illegal just as speeding. It all depends on the actual road, province, local laws so its hard to say what an offence is or not. Of course, weather/road/traffic conditions are factors as well. However, at least in BC what a very clear offence is (at least in the books, but not in enforcement) is doing less than the speedlimit in the left lane.

Btw speaking of speed traps, how do they work in other municipalities? Here in Ottawa when the cop pulls you over, they show you how fast you were going on the radar gun it's self and then asks you why you were going that fast which puts you on the spot. It's not just one officer who does it, as every officer I've seen during the initial pull over does this. But it's the first thing they do before saying anything. Do they work that way anywhere else in Ontario?.

Don't know about in Ontario, but in BC they just pull you over, tell you how fast you were going and why they pulled you over ... yadda yadda yadda. They don't show you the actual radar, but they have to if you ask them to (one of the reasons photo radar is illegal in BC) ... if they refuse, they can't issue you a ticket.

Thank God I've got a good radar detector, amazing how much money its saves. The sad thing is that if Canada would actually come up with some reasonable highway speeds, mandatory driving school, mandatory vehicle inspections and actually enforce ALL traffic laws (not just pick and choose) we may actually be able to reduce the number of accidents.

High school teachers who confiscate cell phones from students...anything could happen

Leave it at home, in your locker or turn it off. Most schools have a no use cell phone policy in place and theres no point in complaining about it if you break the rule and get caught. Most schools have pay phones and all schools have phones in the office. If there is an emergency your mom and pop can get hold of the officee just like their mom and pop did with them and thats how you can get hold of them if need be. Sorry, but there is absolutly no reason for a kid to take a cell phone to school.

And if you think thats bad, wait till you hit the workforce and they have a no cell phone policy in place ;)

Then don't take your cellphone out in the first place.

Yup :)

Its when you're driving so much slower than everyone else that it makes your car like an obstacle, rendering you a moving hazard.

Most highways in BC require a warp factor speed of 60km/h ... :D

or film it lol
Should of taken a pic/video and sent it to the media/their boss.

Why not just get out of the car, call someone to pick you up, not pay for the lesson and pick another driving school? Personally, I'm getting tired of all these silly videos coming up everywhere making big issues out of non issues. So they're being dinks and not doing there job ... don't pay and go somewhere else ... simple as that ;)

As someone who always drives the speed limit (or slower in bad weather), I can tell you this is only true if you are going BELOW the speed limit in good driving weather/clear roads.

Thats a tough call, there are even times when drivers drive too slow on bad roads creating an even bigger hazzard than on clear roads. Not sure what (if any) fine would be involved unless they actually caused an accident.

Why not just get out of the car, call someone to pick you up, not pay for the lesson and pick another driving school? Personally, I'm getting tired of all these silly videos coming up everywhere making big issues out of non issues. So they're being dinks and not doing there job ... don't pay and go somewhere else ... simple as that :)

yeah, with a driving school, that can be done, but when its the TTC and you have no other way of getting around you're kinda stuck and thats why people are pissed, i dont agree with their methods but i understand the frustration ,

yeah, with a driving school, that can be done, but when its the TTC and you have no other way of getting around you're kinda stuck and thats why people are pissed, i dont agree with their methods but i understand the frustration ,

I'm assuming you're referring to incidents such as the driver who was taped going into a Timmies to take a piddle, grabbing a donut and coffee? This is my take on it ... its no one's right to video anyone in cases like this ... it is a huge invasion of personal privacy as far as I'm concerned. If you have a complaint, use the appropriate venues to rectifiy the problem ane let the employer deal with it. If the employer doesn't deal with it (if its a consistent problem) then take it to the next appropriate venue. But these constant videos being taken is just childish and and invasion of personal privacy.

I'm assuming you're referring to incidents such as the driver who was taped going into a Timmies to take a piddle, grabbing a donut and coffee? This is my take on it ... its no one's right to video anyone in cases like this ... it is a huge invasion of personal privacy as far as I'm concerned. If you have a complaint, use the appropriate venues to rectifiy the problem ane let the employer deal with it. If the employer doesn't deal with it (if its a consistent problem) then take it to the next appropriate venue. But these constant videos being taken is just childish and and invasion of personal privacy.

i agree with that, it also paints transit fans with the same brush too, that when we are taking pictures of the just vehicle itself some drivers think we are trying catch them in the act of something they shouldnt be doing, btw TTC does take customer service issues seriously, dont know why these people think they dont but they do, a friend of mine was approached by a supervisor and said he wasnt allowed to take pictures (this was prior to all this Brew ha ha) so my friend complained to TTC customer service and they called a couple days later and asked what happened and they said to him personal photogrpaghy is allowed as long as its not collector booths or drivers (oddly this was just days before the sleeping collector photo surfaced)

i agree with that, it also paints transit fans with the same brush too, that when we are taking pictures of the just vehicle itself some drivers think we are trying catch them in the act of something they shouldnt be doing, btw TTC does take customer service issues seriously, dont know why these people think they dont but they do, a friend of mine was approached by a supervisor and said he wasnt allowed to take pictures (this was prior to all this Brew ha ha) so my friend complained to TTC customer service and they called a couple days later and asked what happened and they said to him personal photogrpaghy is allowed as long as its not collector booths or drivers (oddly this was just days before the sleeping collector photo surfaced)

I think that in the coming years, we're going to see a more clear definition of photography/video laws ... its one thing to take a snapshot of something with someone in it as opposed to knowingly videotape someone with an intent. Its great to photograph evidence such as in a car accident, but to videotape someone and send it to their employer because you don't agree with their practices goes over the line IMHO. I agree with you, selfish nobrains like these really try to ruin it for the rest of the world such as you transitfanners.

So a driver goes to take a piddle, grabs a coffee ... big deal. Call the office and make a complaint. For all I know (from a drivers point of you) he had to take a pee (and when I gotta go I go no matter how much anyone while moan and gripe on my bus and if anyone is taping me, they'll be off my bus faster than they can turn their phone off). Unfortunatly, sometimes the only places you can go are the places where you have to buy something. Take our system for example ... there are no washroom facilities what so ever so we have no choice but to go to businesses that require we buy something ... so if it takes us 7-8 minutes .... tough .... thats the way the cookie crumbles :D

On another note, a huge pet peeve of mine is texting. Texting is a great way to communicate with someone if you're running late or you just wanna say a quick hello .... but why do people think they need to converse with you during texting? Seriously! If I'm not with you, I really don't find it neccessary to have to communicate with you and get a text from you every 30 bloody seconds. If I wanted to converse with you, I'd meet you somewhere for a coffee but I'm not meeting you for a coffee and there may be a very good reason for that like I'm freakin' busy right now so leave me alone .... grrrr! :)

I think that in the coming years, we're going to see a more clear definition of photography/video laws ... its one thing to take a snapshot of something with someone in it as opposed to knowingly videotape someone with an intent. Its great to photograph evidence such as in a car accident, but to videotape someone and send it to their employer because you don't agree with their practices goes over the line IMHO.

On another note, a huge pet peeve of mine is texting. Texting is a great way to communicate with someone if you're running late or you just wanna say a quick hello .... but why do people think they need to converse with you during texting? Seriously! If I'm not with you, I really don't find it neccessary to have to communicate with you and get a text from you every 30 bloody seconds. If I wanted to converse with you, I'd meet you somewhere for a coffee but I'm not meeting you for a coffee and there may be a very good reason for that like I'm freakin' busy right now so leave me alone .... grrrr! :)

i dont even have text messaging, my sister abused text messaging on our family plan and my dad had outgoing texts blocked which is fine, a friend of mine recently got a girlfriend and his phone keeps going off becuase she keps texting him! and then he replys its anoying!