Peeves in everyday life...

Tranzit

And also, I am from the deep South so I don't know/understand what half of them are saying or what they mean, which leads me to my next peeve:

-People who think I am retarded because I have no idea what they are talking about (for example, to have sex has so many synonyms: nail, hammer, bang, bash, do, bust, wreck, etc...)

There is more where that came from..........

Condolences re: your aunt. Mine died a couple of years ago. She was 91.
Thank you very much
Also Metro newspaper people on corners that practically shove their paper into your hands. "Get away from me, if I want your paper I will ask for one."
Hehe, in Ottawa since we're a government town, they know better than to shove a paper into your hands, because they could be shoving it into a powerful person hands, who might not want the paper. Sometimes it's great to live in a government town.
Traffic lights at unimportant intersections that operate on a ten-second cycle. (No joke -- this actually happened while driving home tonight!)
That is one good thing about Ottawa, we boast one of the highest rated traffic systems in terms of efficiency. In fact it's so efficient that when your off the highway, you hardly get into a traffic jam during rush hour, even with super heavy traffic volumes.

So we don't get signals that screw up unless someone tapes down the pedestrian walk signal.

Also the control boxes that the city uses were made in house in the 1990s and incorperated features like countdowns and transit priority, something that wasn't even fully invented back then. It was great foresight on their part.

Here is a snippit from a transportation committee report from not too long ago:

The City of Ottawa participated in the 2007 National Traffic Signal Report Card conducted by the National Transportation Operations Coalition (NTOC). The NTOC is comprised of a number of organizations including the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), the International Municipal Signal Associations (IMSA) and the U.S. DOT Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).

The results from this study were based on the 2007 Traffic Signal Operations Self Assessment survey created to collect information and assess traffic signal operations practices. There were six topics considered in the survey including management, signal operations at individual intersections, signal operations in coordinated systems, signal timing practices, traffic monitoring and data collection and maintenance with questions addressing polices and practices. The City of Ottawa participated in this survey in 2006 and results were released in 2007.

The overall findings from the 2007 National Traffic Signal Report Card indicate that traffic signal operation for the City of Ottawa scores a B, while overall traffic signal operation in Canada scores a D+ and the United States scores a D-.

The infinite amount of urban sprawl in Southern Ontario. I could never live in any part of Ontario other than Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa. Places like York, Durham, Peel and Halton disgust me. So incredibly auto centric and cold. I don't understand what the attraction is to living in these areas.

The infinite amount of urban sprawl in Southern Ontario. I could never live in any part of Ontario other than Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa. Places like York, Durham, Peel and Halton disgust me. So incredibly auto centric and cold. I don't understand what the attraction is to living in these areas.

For auto-centric cold people. Some people will hole up in places like that because they are not personable, or have other quirks which suit a certain type of city.

Less crime, less people, bigger houses, more friendlier people (including drivers)...

More crazy drivers. :P

The same holds true for much (okay, most) of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. I've seen some of the new housing subdivisions out in Riverside County — these must be sixty miles away from the Los Angeles urban core — and I constantly ask myself "why?"

Rampant urban sprawl needs to be stopped, or at the very least, contained in some way or other. It is not sustainable and often does not promote a good quality of life.

Yep. Sounds familiar from my last few nights of sleep as well.

Not to get off topic here, but if it's common for you, see about talking to your doctor if it's ok for you to occasionally take "Pseudoephedrine". It works awesome whenever I take them (which not regularly, just when I feel the pain/congestion). I have just the straight Sudafed ones in a purple box (nothing else with them, just the Pseudoephedrine).

Good thing you're not working today... :(

Not the best way to feel on a day off! Although it's gone now, (2 advil and 8 hours later!)

People who drive up to a drive thru ATM ... park their car before the machine ... get out ... walk up to the machine ... do their stuff ... walk back to the car ... and drive off ... :(

Huh? Isn't that what the walk up ATMs are for? I thought the drive thru ones were for people like me who actually too lazy to get out of their cars.

hmmm never seen that before drive though atms ive been to!, kinda defeats the whole purpose. my guess is that they didnt want to go into the branch and line up at regluar atms

Happens at my bank quite frequently, usually women folk ... LOL! The confusing thing is that there are no line ups at the regular ATMs.

CFL Fluorescent Light Bulbs!

Those things are terrible on the eyes and don't give off the nice warm light an incandescent light bulb does. I had some sitting around so I decided to use them to replace some incandescent bulbs that had burnt out. Let's just say they didn't last 30 seconds in the light fixture before I took the Fluorescent bulbs out and popped in some good old incandescent bulbs. I'll be sure to stock up on incandescent light bulbs when they ban them!

CFL Fluorescent Light Bulbs!

Those things are terrible on the eyes and don't give off the nice warm light an incandescent light bulb does. I had some sitting around so I decided to use them to replace some incandescent bulbs that had burnt out. Let's just say they didn't last 30 seconds in the light fixture before I took the Fluorescent bulbs out and popped in some good old incandescent bulbs. I'll be sure to stock up on incandescent light bulbs when they ban them!

You have to get the ones with the right spectrum. They do make fluorescent bulbs that give off light at similar frequencies as incandescent bulbs, you just didn't make the effort to look for them.

On the other hand, every CFL not manufactured is a few milligrams of mercury not thrown out due to human laziness.

Memo to everyone who owns a car at my university:

The white lines painted on the pavement in parking lots are not decorations or suggestions -- you're supposed to park between them, not on them! And, while you're at it, you might try to make sure that your car is at least somewhat parallel to the lines and not at an angle. It might take a few tries, but you'll get it eventually.

(I don't understand -- if Southern California is supposedly a "car culture", shouldn't the drivers of such cars be, at the very least, competent?)

Words that start with "C" but are spelt for whatever reason with a "K" ... such as ...

Kozy

Kamper

Kamping

Kampground

Kruiser

Krazy

... etc.

Krusty

Klown

Koach

Kutaway

Kanada

on-topic:

New Jersey drivers.

They don't now how to drive!

And a lot of people who park in the lots with the white lines are so careless they clip other cars as they swerve in that mad 45-degree angle in tht parking space which to them must somehow be invisible because they cnt manage to park between them!!!