Drivers calling out stops

busman

My regular mid-afternoon driver friend on the 98 always calls all the stops. He told me there are stop sheets printed at his division(wilson) with every stop for every route and joked that next week he will see a 20 min. video on the 'proper procedure for calling stops', huh? B) yeesh, lighten up people. <_< Anyway, there should be no excuses after that, and apparently they will be monitored. :P:lol:

Didn't know you ride 98 frequently. :blink::)

Only one driver called out all the little stops so far. The rest only called Willowdale. My driver friend always called the major stops.

Haven't they always been monitored? I've heard many surface drivers/operators (both Bus and Streetcar) say that supervisors that look like regular passengers get on random TTC vehicles and see if the driver calls out stops, but I don't know what happens if the driver doesn't call out the stops.

( Transcript from the notice: )

The implementation plan is to include:

* Monthly audit and reporting to the Tribunal and other parties

* Educational seminars for drivers, supervisors and senior management

* Changes to policies to provide that failure of employees to do as directed may result in serious sanctions including dismissal

If drivers don't call all the stops, Lepofsky will have their asses. <_<:lol:

Didn't know you ride 98 frequently. <_<:lol:

Only one driver called out all the little stops so far. The rest only called Willowdale. My driver friend always called the major stops.

( Transcript from the notice: )

If drivers don't call all the stops, Lepofsky will have their asses. <_<B)

Apparently, was told he has already had 2 Wilson driver's asses :blink: on 2 of the routes he uses daily, namely the 14 and 6. (and no, they were'nt calling stops) :lol:

I have that course this afternoon before my shift. I plan on showing them how proper announcements are made :-P

:lol:

Today on 22 the driver called out all the major stops only. On 506 the driver called out all the major stops along with a couple small stops. On 31 the driver only called out Danforth, I only rode from Gerrard to Danforth so I'm assuming he was calling out major stops only.

You have too much free time on your hands buddy. You should spend Less time online, and more time getting a life.I wasn't making any rude comment to him, He stated that most drivers he gets on the 510 call out all the stops, and I just pointed out that the streetcar drivers have always called them out.. not just on the 510.For you to sit in these forums and nit-pick at every little comment people make and TRY to twist things around, or make something out of nothing shows you have way too much time on your hands. Get out of the house a little :-)

Where did he suggest otherwise?
Nice to hear form you again rocket driver! Did you like the video? Did you get your red cup? lol
I have that course this afternoon before my shift. I plan on showing them how proper announcements are made :-P

You have too much free time on your hands buddy. You should spend Less time online, and more time getting a life.I wasn't making any rude comment to him, He stated that most drivers he gets on the 510 call out all the stops, and I just pointed out that the streetcar drivers have always called them out.. not just on the 510.For you to sit in these forums and nit-pick at every little comment people make and TRY to twist things around, or make something out of nothing shows you have way too much time on your hands. Get out of the house a little :-)Nice to hear form you again rocket driver! Did you like the video?

It doesn't appear hl7534 has done anything you suggested above. hl7534 was simply doing as you did: adding to the discussion. Now that you have said he needs to get a life, that can be considered being rude to him.

You have too much free time on your hands buddy. You should spend Less time online, and more time getting a life.I wasn't making any rude comment to him, He stated that most drivers he gets on the 510 call out all the stops, and I just pointed out that the streetcar drivers have always called them out.. not just on the 510.For you to sit in these forums and nit-pick at every little comment people make and TRY to twist things around, or make something out of nothing shows you have way too much time on your hands. Get out of the house a little :-)Nice to hear form you again rocket driver! Did you like the video? Did you get your red cup? lol

How is that indicative on what kind of "life" I have? It didn't take longer than 5 seconds to reply! I wasn't trying to be rude to you either, nor was I trying to "twist" things around. I was merely curious as to why you would make such remarks. You are in no position to judge if I have "too much free time" or not.

Read my post. AGAIN I explained why I made my comment. If you still dont get it.. thats your problem not mine.

How is that indicative on what kind of "life" I have? It didn't take longer than 5 seconds to reply! I wasn't trying to be rude to you either, nor was I trying to "twist" things around. I was merely curious as to why you would make such remarks. You are in no position to judge if I have "too much free time" or not.

Read my post. AGAIN I explained why I made my comment. If you still dont get it.. thats your problem not mine.

I have thoroughly read all of the pertaining posts, and I still stand by the fact that nothing that was said in this thread is indicative of what my "life" is like. Nitpicking is not my intention.

I guess you don't like the TTC style eh? "The next stop is University Avenue, Queen's Park Station, University Avenue..." "Arriving at University Avenue, Queen's Park Station, University Avenue"

I still much prefer your style :lol:

"University Avenue is next, Toronto General Hospital, Sick Kids, Princess Margaret Hospital, Mount Sinai, Queens Park, Ontario Hydro, Connections to 5 Avenue Road, 142 Avenue Road Express, and connection to Queens Park Station, University Subway line........ University Avenue"

So far I've only seen one STM driver this year call out stops. :lol: I called out stops on Pyerre's subway shuttle.

Go TTC Go.

Got at least two in 2007, some just do "Metro Cote-Vertu" or "Terminus" so I don't count those. Always thought that they should have to call out the stops, just like the TTC (but with less non-sense) that stuff with there been stops that have addresses as names is really stupid.

I do that at Berri when we arrive; I add "Terminus, Merci D'avoir Voyage avec la STM bonne _____!" ( thanks for taking the STM), since it isn't programed. Mind you I don't always yell it out loud, except for when I am with people (I know) who think it is funny. I was about to call the stops on the Metro during the SPS last week-end since the PA had interrupted the flow, but it fixed itself at Namur.

Always liked that the TTC does little things like that to make the service that much better.

I guess you don't like the TTC style eh? "The next stop is University Avenue, Queen's Park Station, University Avenue..." "Arriving at University Avenue, Queen's Park Station, University Avenue"

I still much prefer your style :lol:

"University Avenue is next, Toronto General Hospital, Sick Kids, Princess Margaret Hospital, Mount Sinai, Queens Park, Ontario Hydro, Connections to 5 Avenue Road, 142 Avenue Road Express, and connection to Queens Park Station, University Subway line........ University Avenue"

Well I have to change my format a little, because it turns out the TTC wants us to precede each stop announcement with "Next Stop..."

So for that stop, traditionally I've said: "University is next, Queen's Park, Toronto General, Princess Margaret, Mt Sinai and Sick Children's Hospitals. Queen's Park Station, subway connection for the University-Spadina line, bus connections for route 5 Avenue Rd and route 142 Avenue Rd Express. University."

Now I'll be saying: "Next Stop: University/Queen's Park Subway Station. Exit at University for Queen's Park and the Toronto General, Princess Margaret, Mt Sinai, and Sick Children's hospitals. Subway connection for the University-Spadina line, and bus connections for route 5 Avenue Rd and route 142 Avenue Rd Express at University."

Which is slightly more wordy than the old way but incorporates the format the TTC wants while still sounding professional, and still repeating the name of the street for major stops by incorporating the name into a sentence. Of course, I now sound like the annoying voice on the Chicago els because I can't find anyway to say announcements that way without taking all traces of humanity out of my voice... but that format was noticed and appreciated by my passengers on Queen yesterday so I guess I'll have to stick to it.

At least we don't have to repeat everything upon arrival at the stop like in the subway :-)