Drivers calling out stops

busman

I still can't imagine ETS drivers calling out all the stops. By the time you say "Next Stop, 124 Street and 111 Avenue", you've already driven two stops past that. It would be constant talk. You wouldn't be able to answer any questions because you'd have to constantly be announcing stops. It would work on routes with very few stops, but not on the routes where there is a stop every other block.

MT drivers are supposed to call out major stops. Of the 15 buses I rode today, only 5 had any stops announced, I'd say 2 had all the major stops.
Find one of the driver who does calling all streets, that I will never forget!
So far I've only seen one STM driver this year call out stops. :( I called out stops on Pyerre's subway shuttle.Go TTC Go.
Unfortunately, STM should pay extra money for installing PA system on their buses as none of the buses have it. If they can't afford it, they should provide a loudspeaker!
Well I have to change my format a little, because it turns out the TTC wants us to precede each stop announcement with "Next Stop..."So for that stop, traditionally I've said: "University is next, Queen's Park, Toronto General, Princess Margaret, Mt Sinai and Sick Children's Hospitals. Queen's Park Station, subway connection for the University-Spadina line, bus connections for route 5 Avenue Rd and route 142 Avenue Rd Express. University."Now I'll be saying: "Next Stop: University/Queen's Park Subway Station. Exit at University for Queen's Park and the Toronto General, Princess Margaret, Mt Sinai, and Sick Children's hospitals. Subway connection for the University-Spadina line, and bus connections for route 5 Avenue Rd and route 142 Avenue Rd Express at University."Which is slightly more wordy than the old way but incorporates the format the TTC wants while still sounding professional, and still repeating the name of the street for major stops by incorporating the name into a sentence. Of course, I now sound like the annoying voice on the Chicago els because I can't find anyway to say announcements that way without taking all traces of humanity out of my voice... but that format was noticed and appreciated by my passengers on Queen yesterday so I guess I'll have to stick to it.At least we don't have to repeat everything upon arrival at the stop like in the subway :-)
Your one of the true professional operator that can do chatting, calling PA and not missing each and every stop whenever passengers ring a bell! :):D

Not every operators like to use PA, some are either shy or silent and worrying about passengers insulting to them by saying "would you shut the hell up!?" and driver would act silent right away. Being a mouthful can be hard to remember. The information is lengthy but very helpful esp. they board on the wrong route during route diversion which would wake their mind up right away! Gotta love that!Even though today, several US system like Washington DC, LA, SF and other system have to ordered a automated annoucement with LED sign due to ADA compliance! NYC on their policy IIRC, all bus operators still have to call out stops or else they get into trouble.

First you said the 2 called every stop, then you say they were only calling major stops. :( Which one is it? :)

No, I was saying that ever since MT's stop calling policy came into effect I've had only 2 MT drivers call out every stop and today of the 5 buses I rode on, only 2 had major stops announced.

As you can see, the first sentance was a reply to General682002.

I guess my driver on 25 has done the training course already, he called out every stop from Pape Station to Eglinton today. My driver on 29 tried is best to call out all the stops with connecting buses as well as a couple others but stopped after Eglinton, but he did call out Dufferin Station and St Clair.

And my driver on 98 isn't calling any stops, at least for the short span from home to Yonge/Sheppard, and needless to say 7946 (the bus) isn't ready to take over yet.

You can report that now. :P:D Was told that there have been a lot of complaints from the public about drivers not calling stops at the Wilson garage. Huh? Did'nt even know the public was interested. :angry: Also, people have been complaining about those that do call all the stops as annoying and iiritating. :rolleyes: Guess they don't have a chance to snooze anymore,...and miss their stop! :P . :blink::lol:

You can report that now. :P:lol: Was told that there have been a lot of complaints from the public about drivers not calling stops at the Wilson garage. Huh? Did'nt even know the public was interested. :D Also, people have been complaining about those that do call all the stops as annoying and iiritating. :rolleyes: Guess they don't have a chance to snooze anymore,...and miss their stop! :P . :angry: :P

I couldn't care less to report them.

The one I have this evening on 85 was chatting with a guy and not calling stops. (cue Garrison) Pffft whatever. :blink: OTOH The one doing 98 did call the three little stops before I got off, but barely audible.

I couldn't care less to report them - I'm not Lepofsky. (Touchwood I don't end up like him :angry: )

The one I have this evening on 85 was chatting with a guy and not calling stops. (cue Garrison) Pffft whatever. :lol: OTOH The one doing 98 did call the three little stops before I got off, but barely audible.

What is wrong with being blind?

I find you comment and use of a laughing avator not only insulting but deroggatory.

Please remove or apoligize.

What is wrong with being blind?

I find you comment and use of a laughing avator not only insulting but deroggatory.

Please remove or apoligize.

Nothing wrong. Although I do hope I DON'T end up being blind.

No offense but the way Lepofsky pushes the issue somehow doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe I am still not sensitive enough, considering I am usually quite open on other controversial fronts.

Let's leave it at that and go back to catching drivers (not) calling stops...

:lol:

4151's driver the other day rarely called out stops. And it was on 504 KING. 42xx the other day on 501 the driver did call out stops. :lol: Speaking of which ttcgeek mentioned, I am using the school classroom computers now. :angry:

Speaking of which, anyone recently got a ride with rocketdriver2019?

I agree with u Buurin.

Buurin wasnt making fun of blind people nor did he say anything rude towards them. He was commenting on how Lepofsky is a cry baby and reports every little thing - and runs to courts. Buschic, you just proved something here that happens a lot in society today. When 1 person comments on something targeted at another race, sexual orientation or disabilities.... the people in that group without even thinking of what the comment was... run crying racism, discrimination or how OFFENDED they r. Grow up! He made NO rude or offensive comment towards blind people, and NO ONE else saw his comment as being rude or offensive.

What do i say to people who get "offended" with BS? STAY THE f**k HOME BECAUSE WE DONT NEED YOUR DRAMA!

Nothing wrong. Although I do hope I DON'T end up being blind.

No offense but the way Lepofsky pushes the issue somehow doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe I am still not sensitive enough, considering I am usually quite open on other controversial fronts.

Let's leave it at that and go back to catching drivers (not) calling stops...

:lol:

I agree with u Buurin.

Buurin wasnt making fun of blind people nor did he say anything rude towards them. He was commenting on how Lepofsky is a cry baby and reports every little thing - and runs to courts. Buschic, you just proved something here that happens a lot in society today. When 1 person comments on something targeted at another race, sexual orientation or disabilities.... the people in that group without even thinking of what the comment was... run crying racism, discrimination or how OFFENDED they r. Grow up! He made NO rude or offensive comment towards blind people, and NO ONE else saw his comment as being rude or offensive.

What do i say to people who get "offended" with BS? STAY THE f**k HOME BECAUSE WE DONT NEED YOUR DRAMA!

I was not "crying" anything! and for another thing, in my mind Lapofsky is an a**hole! I know him, have had to deal with him, he is just the "rich" lawyer finding something to target and get famous, thats it, he is a idiot! IN FACT he rides the subway with noise cancelling headphones on and playing his ipod! He also has already gotten 5 different driver suspensions!

For another thing, I DID think about what he said, in society today, the biggest fear of people is going Blind, there is a agency called Foundation Fighting Blindness, now THAT is "crying" and using scare tactics,

No one Else on the Toronto Forum is BLIND.

I wont stay home, this is 2007 NOT 1967, blind people are NOT going to be kept home and sheltered and out of the public eye. We have to fight for our rights! Picking on bus drivers and costing the TTC millions of dollars is NOT the answer! The AODA is a joke and only provides for those with physicial disabilities, not the Blind, we have to fight for each and every step in the accessbility of our surroundings, I think the Provinceial and Federal goverments should be taking responsability for making and providing accessibility on Public Transit.

I agree with u Buurin.

Ok.. dude, no need to go crazy (I was one before) just because someone asks for an apology. Obviously, this Lepofsky dude is somewhat of an a**hole to the people on this board. And for one thing, yes, people needs to stand up for their rights. I just have one thing for Lepofsky, what is the point of launching the lawsuit if you're gonna go on the subway and listen to your DAMNED noise-cancelling earplugs?? Its no wonder you can't hear the damned annoucements. YOU HAVE YOUR EARS PLUGGED!!!!

And you can't make her stay home. And NO. She ain't no drama queen. Although Buurin was claiming that he wasn't making fun of blind people, you still don't have the right (no offense) to yell at her and ask her to take back whatever she said. If it offends her, it offends her.

I was not "crying" anything! and for another thing, in my mind Lapofsky is an a**hole! I know him, have had to deal with him, he is just the "rich" lawyer finding something to target and get famous, thats it, he is a idiot! IN FACT he rides the subway with noise cancelling headphones on and playing his ipod! He also has already gotten 5 different driver suspensions!

How can he get drivers suspended? Does he ride around the city all day? Does'nt this guy have a job? ;) If it's a first offence, they should only get a warning, no? I though only repeat offenders got suspended,...or worse? Besides, what if they haven't been trained yet? geez, this thing just got started, there's bound to be some lag time. I hope they really speed up the AA installations. Sooner, the better,... for everyone. ;)

I didnt tell her to stay home. If you read what I said, i was refering to people who spend there days complaining about every little thing. Those are the people Who should stay home. Read be4 you comment.... drama .... booo hooo...

Ok.. dude, no need to go crazy (I was one before) just because someone asks for an apology. Obviously, this Lepofsky dude is somewhat of an a**hole to the people on this board. And for one thing, yes, people needs to stand up for their rights. I just have one thing for Lepofsky, what is the point of launching the lawsuit if you're gonna go on the subway and listen to your DAMNED noise-cancelling earplugs?? Its no wonder you can't hear the damned annoucements. YOU HAVE YOUR EARS PLUGGED!!!!

And you can't make her stay home. And NO. She ain't no drama queen. Although Buurin was claiming that he wasn't making fun of blind people, you still don't have the right (no offense) to yell at her and ask her to take back whatever she said. If it offends her, it offends her.

How can he get drivers suspended? Does he ride around the city all day? Does'nt this guy have a job? :( If it's a first offence, they should only get a warning, no? I though only repeat offenders got suspended,...or worse? Besides, what if they haven't been trained yet? geez, this thing just got started, there's bound to be some lag time. I hope they really speed up the AA installations. Sooner, the better,... for everyone. :lol:
From a supervisor friend...." first offence, 3 day suspension, and yes ALL drivers have had a oppertunity to get a stop call list from their division.Yeah the AA installation definitely needs to be speeded up.
Let us please continue back on the intended topic of this thread.
Thanks