PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

What a waste of money if they have to replace all the readers within 7-8 years. ML should have done it right the first time since open payment did exist back in 2015.

I guess it's okay since it's like a midlife refresh for the buses.

Those readers have been replaced more than once (at least) due to wear and tear anyway, and so would have open payment readers had they been installed then, too. It’s an ongoing regimen and expense.

Don’t think for a second that the ones they’re removing now are the very same units they threw on in 2015.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Those readers have been replaced more than once (at least) due to wear and tear anyway, and so would have open payment readers had they been installed then, too. It’s an ongoing regimen and expense.

Don’t think for a second that the ones they’re removing now are the very same units they threw on in 2015.

Now that you made it clear. Then is this replacement in line with the industry standard or ML designed something really bad.

Then again, if you consider this as a bus part that gets replaced every couple of years then it's not really that surprising. 

• 3 weeks later...

From the September CEO report:

At the start of September, TTC customers were informed that PRESTO is replacing card readers on Wheel-Trans buses and contracted accessible minivans. The installation is scheduled for completion in November. Starting next month, the replacement of card readers will begin on TTC buses and streetcars, which is expected to continue until December.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

This hasn't been brought up recently, but by now some of you are familiar with the vending machines at the GO and UP Express that allow you to buy and reload your PRESTO Card. In an episode of the Metrolinx "Between the Lines" podcast dated June 9, 2022, they are going to roll out new ticket vending machines that will not only allow you to buy and/or reload PRESTO Cards, but they will also be capable of accepting higher demoninations of bills (i.e. $50CDN or $100CDN) - a barrier that is preventing on what the current ticket vending machines offer.

As for the new ticket vending machines, they will be manufacturered by an Italian company called "Sigma S.p.A." 

Works Cited:
Llewellyn, M. (Host), 2022, June 9, "Episode 21 - Top 5 reasons customers get in touch with GO Transit customer service". In Between The Lines. Metrolinx.

"Sigma TVMs will also arrive in Canada." Sigma S.p.A., https://www.sigmaspa.com/en/news-en/le-tvms-sigma-arriveranno-anche-in-canada/. Accessed 6 Dec 2022.

• 1 month later...

YRT, DRT, Burlington Transit and Hamilton Street Railway now accept credit and debit card payments (including mobile wallets) effective today, joining MiWay, Brampton Transit, Oakville Transit, GO Transit and UP Express: (credit/debit payments are not accepted on contracted TTC routes in York Region due to reader incompatibility)

https://www.metrolinx.com/en/news/tap-your-credit-card-to-travel-across-local-905-transit-systems-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

YRT, DRT, Burlington Transit and Hamilton Street Railway now accept credit and debit card payments (including mobile wallets) effective today, joining MiWay, Brampton Transit, Oakville Transit, GO Transit and UP Express: (credit/debit payments are not accepted on contracted TTC routes in York Region due to reader incompatibility)

The article says that only UP Express takes debit - that it's coming later for the other systems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

Finally, the TTC adapts the new readers

F66997FE-458F-4277-A56F-F620D97138D4.png

also one interesting thing with the readers and vision is that if someone taps a declined presto card, the operator wont get a notification on the vision computer on the bus anymore, maybe because many complained it got annoying since practically every one in few people would cheat with declined presto cards on a route

14 hours ago, CJ. said:

also one interesting thing with the readers and vision is that if someone taps a declined presto card, the operator wont get a notification on the vision computer on the bus anymore, maybe because many complained it got annoying since practically every one in few people would cheat with declined presto cards on a route

I've don't think that was ever a feature on vision. I've never seen it since vision was installed. 

9 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I've don't think that was ever a feature on vision. I've never seen it since vision was installed. 

When someone taps a declined presto (front or back) the bus will briefly notify through vision. It also gives the standard 1sec beep tone. sometimes it shows it on the screen sometimes it doesn't but it always makes the noise regardless if a declined presto is tapped, also its been here for a while before I even started

2 hours ago, CJ. said:

When someone taps a declined presto (front or back) the bus will briefly notify through vision. It also gives the standard 1sec beep tone. sometimes it shows it on the screen sometimes it doesn't but it always makes the noise regardless if a declined presto is tapped, also its been here for a while before I even started

It doesn't show anything on vision and as Bus_Medic said Presto and Vision are two independent standalone systems. He would know since he was installing Vision systems in buses. 

2 hours ago, CJ. said:

On some agencies that utilize clever devices it will indicate the status of the card such as OC Transpo, that is because the system OC uses has full fare integration through the system, TTC does not use theirs to issue transfers/accept payments 

4 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

On some agencies that utilize clever devices it will indicate the status of the card such as OC Transpo, that is because the system OC uses has full fare integration through the system, TTC does not use theirs to issue transfers/accept payments 

Exactly that ☝️ I've been driving with Vision since it was installed and have never seen anything like what was described. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

It doesn't show anything on vision and as Bus_Medic said Presto and Vision are two independent standalone systems. He would know since he was installing Vision systems in buses. 

Just ignore him, he’s a troll judging by his post history 

• 1 month later...

One of the new PRESTO TVMs (manufacturered by Sigma S.p.A) was recently showcased down at a recent trade show dedicating to "Transport Tickering" (vendors like Sigma, Conduent, INIT, Thales, etc. were present at that trade show in London, UK). The picture supplied is from a Linkedin Page.

Not sure how the new TVMs are different than the ones found on the GO Transit (plus UP Express and to a less extent - the TTC) system .

1678262557883.jpg

21 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

One of the new PRESTO TVMs (manufacturered by Sigma S.p.A) was recently showcased down at a recent trade show dedicating to "Transport Tickering" (vendors like Sigma, Conduent, INIT, Thales, etc. were present at that trade show in London, UK). The picture supplied is from a Linkedin Page.

Not sure how the new TVMs are different than the ones found on the GO Transit (plus UP Express and to a less extent - the TTC) system .

1678262557883.jpg

I don't really use the wide PRESTO TVMs so I don't know if these are new features or not.  It appears it takes both cash and credit/debit and can also issue tickets as well as sell PRESTO cards.  Presumably you'd have to load the card after purchasing it, as I doubt the mechanism inside will load it with funds before issuing it.  Is the top part of the TVM advertising space or possibly used for vehicle arrival information if these are rolled out at say LRT or BRT stops?

2 hours ago, Gil said:

I don't really use the wide PRESTO TVMs so I don't know if these are new features or not.  It appears it takes both cash and credit/debit and can also issue tickets as well as sell PRESTO cards.  Presumably you'd have to load the card after purchasing it, as I doubt the mechanism inside will load it with funds before issuing it.  Is the top part of the TVM advertising space or possibly used for vehicle arrival information if these are rolled out at say LRT or BRT stops?

Sadly, I don't have any answers regarding the "top part of the TVM" - to my knowledge, it is likely for advertising space (but could have the potential for vehicle arrival information). The official answer is - you have to wait until these new TVMs go into full action in the coming months and years ahead.

• 1 month later...

PRESTO now accepts Mastercard, Visa and Interac debit cards for fare payment as of yesterday on GO Transit, YRT (except contracted TTC routes in York Region), Durham Region Transit, MiWay (except TTC route 52 west of Pearson), Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Oakville Transit and Hamilton Street Railway; same policy and procedures as with credit cards:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/transit-riders-across-most-of-ontario-can-now-use-debit-cards-to-pay-for-fares-1.6380109

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joshuamumble said:

PRESTO now accepts Mastercard, Visa and Interac debit cards for fare payment as of yesterday on GO Transit, YRT (except contracted TTC routes in York Region), Durham Region Transit, MiWay (except TTC route 52 west of Pearson), Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Oakville Transit and Hamilton Street Railway; same policy and procedures as with credit cards:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/transit-riders-across-most-of-ontario-can-now-use-debit-cards-to-pay-for-fares-1.6380109

Debit/Credit has worked on TTC vehicles when they cross into Mississauga since the new readers were installed. It is likely the same for when they go north of Steeles as well.

22 hours ago, CJ. said:

Can you use Apple Pay for PRESTO by any chance?

One of the most demanded features

Currently, there hasn't been any evidence if PRESTO can be added on Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay (just to name a few) - but hopefully there have been no plans yet - so far.

I myself, have a PRESTO Card along with a few credit cards (some of them are configured on Google Pay) to pay for transit (not just for paying transit fares, but loading money onto the PRESTO Card).

I had GO put a discount code on a Presto card. To my surprise, discount also applied to TTC.

I had thought that discount or special fare codes were per agency. Are they universal, so all agencies accept the single one?