PRESTO - GTA Discussion

ORION

On 7/28/2020 at 6:09 PM, Oc4526 said:

Brampton Transit is installing some new readers. 
per this tweet 

I've been tapping my whole wallet on the new readers that GO Transit has been rolling out with no problem so far.  I remember in London using their Oyster card being warned about "Card Clash" when the reader would try and deduct fares from whatever card(s) were within range.  Then again, you could pay with a credit card at that point.  Once PRESTO evolves to more open payment, then it will become more of an issue.  Might as well start training the public now I guess!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gil said:

I've been tapping my whole wallet on the new readers that GO Transit has been rolling out with no problem so far.  I remember in London using their Oyster card being warned about "Card Clash" when the reader would try and deduct fares from whatever card(s) were within range.  Then again, you could pay with a credit card at that point.  Once PRESTO evolves to more open payment, then it will become more of an issue.  Might as well start training the public now I guess!

I was lazy once, and it detected the forgotten extra senior's Presto Card in the middle of my wallet, rather than the regular one with a pass at the front of the wallet.

Also, they've already done some Debit/Credit tests ... who knows when it will be testing something, and there's some clash.

• 1 month later...

Presto E-Tickets mobile app has been made available with Durham Region Transit along with Hamilton Street Railway for those who don't have a Presto card or travelling in a group and prefer getting the ticket discount versus paying cash.

Especially with the COVID-19 pandemic, transit agencies are looking for contactless ways to accommodate fare payments. 

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/09/01/a-new-cashless-way-to-pay-presto-introduces-presto-e-tickets-for-durham-and-hamilton/ 

• Like 1

Well this is bizarre. I've used the TTC sparingly in the past couple months due to corona, maybe 4-5 times, and I set up an autoload to load $20 when balance drops below $10.

Last ride taken August 24th, balance after $3.20 fare paid was $19.58.

Yesterday (September 8th), I took a ride in the morning, and a fare load appears on my account of $55.32 (bizarre amount, can you even load fare with dollar & cent amounts?), and the $3.20 fare was paid.

I checked my credit card (which is the payment method for autoload), and no charge or pending charge listed from Presto. The auto-load was also successfully used once before to load $20 when balance dropped below $10, with the payment properly charged to my card.

Has anyone had this happen?

4 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Well this is bizarre. I've used the TTC sparingly in the past couple months due to corona, maybe 4-5 times, and I set up an autoload to load $20 when balance drops below $10.

Last ride taken August 24th, balance after $3.20 fare paid was $19.58.

Yesterday (September 8th), I took a ride in the morning, and a fare load appears on my account of $55.32 (bizarre amount, can you even load fare with dollar & cent amounts?), and the $3.20 fare was paid.

I checked my credit card (which is the payment method for autoload), and no charge or pending charge listed from Presto. The auto-load was also successfully used once before to load $20 when balance dropped below $10, with the payment properly charged to my card.

Has anyone had this happen?

Did you have a pass in March or April? It's probably the refund. They started trickling out a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2020/August/21_08_20NR_presto_credit.jsp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To anyone using their PRESTO Card on the new readers onboard the GO Transit buses - some experiences/advice that I wanted to share:

The other day, I was boarding the GO bus route 92 from King & Stevenson to Oshawa to Westney & Kingston in Ajax using my PRESTO Card (yes, I would have use the DRT Pulse for that trip but I found out that taking the GO bus (even with local trips within a town, city or region) can be uber comfortable and most importantly - civilized and tranquil) and these were my findings:

1. I tapped on my PRESTO Card on the new readers and got a green checkmark.
  2. Once I had reached my destination, I tried to tap the same card on the same reader and sadly, I got the red "already tapped" message.
  3. About 24 hours after the trip, I've checked my transactions on the PRESTO Card website and realized that there was an "auto adjustment due to missed tap" statement (this actually happened after I tapped my PRESTO Card at a reader at the Ajax GO station after tapping on the reader and then cancelling the trip).
  4. I then contacted GO Transit about this issue and they advised that they will be looking into this matter.
  5. An e-mail was received about 24 to 48 hours after the initial call and advised that the value of the missed tap/auto adjustment will be refunded in the next few business days. Once the funds are back on my PRESTO card, I was advised to tap on the reader within 30 days.

I was more used to the old PRESTO readers on the GO buses (tapping on/off on the same reader), but with the new ones - it represents a challenge. My take away advice: please check your transactions carefully! 

On 9/9/2020 at 2:32 PM, MK78 said:

I wonder how it's calculated? based on last day a pass was used? I think for me was about March 18th.

I got a $50.71 credit on my $143 monthly pass. That would be about 11/31 of the value. My last regular day of travel was March 18th, and then, because I had the pass already, I used it to go a couple of stops whille shopping a couple of different day. So looks like they did 11 unused days for me. If I'd have known it worked like that, I'd have walked, and got the extra $9.22 instead!

I can't complain though, I used the pass quite heavily until the 18th. So it was still significantly cheaper paying for rides.

Might take a long time to burn through $50 ... I've only paid 7 fares since March!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, nfitz said:

I got a $50.71 credit on my $143 monthly pass. That would be about 11/31 of the value. My last regular day of travel was March 18th, and then, because I had the pass already, I used it to go a couple of stops whille shopping a couple of different day. So looks like they did 11 unused days for me. If I'd have known it worked like that, I'd have walked, and got the extra $9.22 instead!

I can't complain though, I used the pass quite heavily until the 18th. So it was still significantly cheaper paying for rides.

Might take a long time to burn through $50 ... I've only paid 7 fares since March!

I got around $226.42 of value for my TTC monthly passes for March and April. I only used the TTC once (when I worked downtown - in anticipation for the move to one of the campuses about 15 minutes from Union Station by streetcar back in March; sadly that didn't took place and I was working from home ever since).

A follow-up to the issue regarding the new readers on the GO buses. It's not just me who faced this issue. Another customer got into this same situation:

Meanwhile in the Twitter-verse, another user had vented his frustration about the new readers on the GO buses:

To further summarize, the people at GO Transit are aware of this matter and (at the time of writing) are working on the fix. In the meantime, I'm planning to abstain (hold back, avoid, desist, shun, eschew) from riding the GO bus within Durham Region - for now.

UPDATE:

The folks at PRESTO sent this e-mail to my mailbox advising the issue with the PRESTO readers onboard the GO buses:

Dear PRESTO Customer,

As an organization, we’re fully committed to ensuring that all of our customers are charged the right fare for their trips. 

That’s why we’re contacting you today. We want to be open and transparent about an error we recently made while calculating fares on some GO bus trips.

We would like to personally apologize and to correct this, we want you to know we will be adding credits directly to your PRESTO account.
There is no action required, and the funds will be ready to use on your PRESTO card on Sept 18, 2020.

While we have identified the issue and are working around the clock to fix it, there is a small chance you could be incorrectly charged again.

Our team is closely monitoring the situation and if that happens, we will automatically correct those charges as well. It will likely take about 24 hours to see those credits in your account.
Again, we take these types of issues and concerns very seriously and apologize for any added stress or inconvenience this may have caused.

Even with the issue fixed, there's a likelihood that I could get incorrectly charged for taking the GO bus trips for some GO bus routes. I'm not the only one who suffered that issue!

• Like 1

Minimum Presto loads via online channels is going down to a minimum five cents versus $10. Mobile app requires a new update being pushed out next week to process value loads under the new system. Hoping that the remaining channels are pushed to the new threshold minimum of loading value. 

On top, if you report your card lost or stolen, you won't be responsible for any charges. It was previously that the first 24 hours of the card being reported, the customer is responsible for any charges incurred. Especially with auto-load kicking in when the balance reaches a certain amount, it would cause concern especially with debit or credit card info saved. 

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/09/23/how-low-can-you-go-presto-reduces-the-minimum-load-on-online-channels/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Not on the card, but it is on the account that the card is linked to.

Yes - so all you could have ever been out of pocket is how much transit one could spend in 24-hours. It's not like people are jumping on planes to Vancouver with their Presto Card!

If you have auto-reload (and I do), then it must be a registered card, so you still get the rest of the reloaded money back, if one is triggered.

• 5 weeks later...

Had a chance to visit York Region. They have started rolling out the new Presto devices at all rapidway stations in Newmarket plus Newmarket Bus Terminal on Eagle Street.

Along with the other rapidway stations and select standard Viva stations. The new rapidway stations along Yonge Street opening in December will have the new ones built-in. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

According to the CEO report, the TTC won't be seeing contactless payments until at least 2023. Noting that the payment devices on-board buses and streetcars along with turnstiles will have to be replaced with the new version on other GTHA systems. The Presto contact between TTC and Metrolinx expires in 2027.

Union Pearson Express to test out open payments next year.

https://outline.com/yxWne4

6 hours ago, nfitz said:

Fundamentally, I don't understand how they have to replace all the Presto TTC devices to enable Open Payment, given Metrolinx were contractually required to have Open Payment available ... already.

Ottawa is enabling open payment on the same equipment that the TTC has, so it is possible for sure. I'm guessing they just want to have uniformity to simplify things, but it could be more complex.

• Like 1

I'm just hoping they can integrate the NFC features in Android & Apple phones so you can just have your presto card on your phone... It's already on some transit systems.

I hope Metrolinx could roll that out throughout all the various agencies at the same time...

Has anyone heard if anything like that is on the horizon?

• 3 months later...

So I'm back to work this week after lockdown lifted in Toronto, and I noticed something peculiar on my Presto log. I had Auto Load enabled to load $20 when the balance dropped to below $10. The balance dropped below $10 mid week, and I expected to get a notification as always that an Auto Load transaction completed.

But no such notification arrived, and I checked my activity, and it seems to have topped it up by $20, but no such event is recorded in the activity, and I don't have a pending charge on my VISA.

Has anyone seen this? I logged into the Presto site for the first time in months and it appears they have changed some stuff. Could this be affecting it?

prestoweird.thumb.JPG.b4859750594f26508768372e8b620f51.JPG

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

Has anyone seen this? I logged into the Presto site for the first time in months and it appears they have changed some stuff. Could this be affecting it?

Looks like the transactions from the time you tapped when the reload triggered are missing. Both the load and the charge, which should have the same timestamp.

Give it time ... it might show up. Might also help to see the time/dates and the Transaction number ... I suspect there's a gap of at least 2 transaction numbers in there.

One time I saw something like this, was for an HSR trip ... which I never found on my account. But I had happened to check by using the app to check my card directly. How's this for time travel!

image.thumb.png.325a095431d9be2a4a471a591c830c53.png

I did have a weird event mid-week when I boarded a 503 streetcar, i tapped and it buzzed me with the red X, and I knew I still had balance, I checked the app and it said still over $11. I tried several presto readers and they all showed X. Knowing that there are never ANY fare enforcement on the 503 going up to Bingham loop, I rode it out, and then transferred to 12D and tapping in the bus was normal, and that transaction was recorded as a transfer, that's why there's that missing fare payment and the load that should have ocurred, since my trips nowadays are very simple, payment then transfer.

The reload should have happened mid week and usually shows a pending transaction on the credit card. Nothing so far.

5 hours ago, MK78 said:

I did have a weird event mid-week when I boarded a 503 streetcar, i tapped and it buzzed me with the red X, and I knew I still had balance, I checked the app and it said still over $11. I tried several presto readers and they all showed X.

I've seen that very occasionally. When I looked at the data later, it was because it seemed to tap twice initially. The first was good, and the second was an X because you'd already tapped! (and how is the operator supposed to know that???).

Do you have the Presto app on your phone? You should be able to scan your card with NFC active, to see your last 3 taps, straight away. (that's what that image I showed above was).