Eglinton East LRT

Kumiko Oumae

Since this line doesn't have its own thread, let's discuss and talk about the proposed Line 7 Eglinton East LRT (aka Scarborough Malvern LRT).

Currently, the 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS operates on the proposed EELRT line. The design is currently in a 10% phase. More information is in the PDF and map is also shown below.

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/8f95-EELRT-Public-Consultation-May-2023AODAsm.pdf

image.thumb.png.148a065dcf807eed6c1e0ba6011c2a0f.png

image.thumb.png.3ff910bdf99f41ad92fe46268a1763b8.png

Lastly, with Line 7 soon to be used in the future, the TTC would require to renumber the 7 BATHURST bus to the "58 BATHURST" eventually like AVENUE RD and BAY did before.

18 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Since this line doesn't have its own thread, let's discuss and talk about the proposed Line 7 Eglinton East LRT (aka Scarborough Malvern LRT).

Currently, the 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS operates on the proposed EELRT line. The design is currently in a 10% phase. More information is in the PDF and map is also shown below.

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/8f95-EELRT-Public-Consultation-May-2023AODAsm.pdf

Lastly, with Line 7 soon to be used in the future, the TTC would require to renumber the 7 BATHURST bus to the "58 BATHURST" eventually like AVENUE RD and BAY did before.

The Eglinton East (or Scarborough-Malvern) LRT is so far down the road that there's no pressing need to think about renumbering any existing routes to free up numbers for the line. But it would likely be renumbered to 18 - that number is free, and I'm pretty certain TTC renumbered the Bay bus to 19 in order to preserve 18 for Bathurst (sticking with filling route number gaps in alphabetical order).

The Line 7 number used to be reserved for the Sheppard East LRT, before Doug Ford came into power and muddled any potential plans and technology choices for that corridor. The TTC originally designated Line 7 to use a mint-green colour, so it would be neat to see that reused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that 18 had been set aside to be used by the CALEDONIA bus whenever the Crosstown comes online. Old plans had, to the best of my recollection, been for the 7 BATHURST to be renumbered to 19. Obviously that got changed. When the time comes, or the TTC just decides "hey let's take care of this now" we'll find out what they decide to do. I have to say that knowing the future plans, it probably would have been best if the possible conflicting route numbers were all changed at one time. When the effort was made to renumber AVENUE RD & BAY, probably should have just changed all the other remaining bus routes below 10 to other numbers.

6 hours ago, STC125 said:

I believe that 18 had been set aside to be used by the CALEDONIA bus whenever the Crosstown comes online. Old plans had, to the best of my recollection, been for the 7 BATHURST to be renumbered to 19. Obviously that got changed. When the time comes, or the TTC just decides "hey let's take care of this now" we'll find out what they decide to do. I have to say that knowing the future plans, it probably would have been best if the possible conflicting route numbers were all changed at one time. When the effort was made to renumber AVENUE RD & BAY, probably should have just changed all the other remaining bus routes below 10 to other numbers.

In fact the Caledonia bus terminal signs have 18 CALEDONIA printed on them. They are just semi covered up.

The next free number would be 56 once 56 LAIRD merged with the 51.

58 is next assuming they will call the TRETHEWEY bus 158.

69 would be a possible freed number if that Warden South plan goes thorough.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:59 PM, Kumiko Oumae said:

image.thumb.png.148a065dcf807eed6c1e0ba6011c2a0f.png

image.thumb.png.3ff910bdf99f41ad92fe46268a1763b8.png

If Metrolinx is set on using dark blue for the Ontario Line, could this line keep the light blue as well as possibly the number and name "Scarborough" LRT?  Makes more sense since Eglinton makes up so little of the proposed route (kinda like the Spadina segment of the Yonge-University-Spadina Line).  It just bypasses Scarborough Town Centre which can be accessed from Line 2 at either end of the line.

That still leaves the Ontario Line without an assigned number.  Would it be too much on the nose to give it the number 0 since it looks like an O in keeping with the line's theme?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gil said:

That still leaves the Ontario Line without an assigned number.  Would it be too much on the nose to give it the number 0 since it looks like an O in keeping with the line's theme?

Proposed maps from the TTC design department have shown the Ontario Line with the SRT blue and numbered 3. While on this topic, they need to come up with a better name for this line. “Line 3 Ontario” sounds dumb.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

As opposed to Line 1 Yonge-University? (which I suppose is better than Line 1 Yonge-University-Spadina-Jane).

Well, the Spadina does work, not only does the line run under a small section of Spadina, but the Allen Expressway was originally going to be named the Spadina Expressway.

8 hours ago, nfitz said:

As opposed to Line 1 Yonge-University? (which I suppose is better than Line 1 Yonge-University-Spadina-Jane).

Well, yes, because Line 1 Yonge-University refers to the location the line runs.

Ontario line would have been like the Second Avenue Subway being called the America line.

Unless a line runs primarily under 1 or 2 major streets, it doesn't make much sense to even bother giving it a name as opposed to just a number (too many street names combined into one, as we've seen with the western half of our own line 1). Or a line might not follow any street at all. That being said, giving it an ambiguous name (i.e. naming after the whole city/province/country) isn't particularly helpful either. Perhaps the most sensible option is naming it after one of the major destinations it serves.

15 hours ago, T3G said:

Ontario line would have been like the Second Avenue Subway being called the America line.

Why the 2nd avenue subway specifically, rather than the one running under "Avenue of the Americas" (read: 6th avenue)?

18 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Unless a line runs primarily under 1 or 2 major streets, it doesn't make much sense to even bother giving it a name as opposed to just a number (too many street names combined into one, as we've seen with the western half of our own line 1). Or a line might not follow any street at all. That being said, giving it an ambiguous name (i.e. naming after the whole city/province/country) isn't particularly helpful either. Perhaps the most sensible option is naming it after one of the major destinations it serves.

I was always under the impression that this was partially the reasoning behind the Ontario Line name. At both ends is the Ontario Science Centre and Ontario Place. The line acts like a connector. As for Line 1, it's a bit of a stretch but you could use this idea as well. Not only does University mean it runs under University Ave but it also connects the 3 major university campuses in the city. In terms of the Eglinton East Line, I think the original name of Scarborough-Malvern although not the best is better than Eglinton East as it serves a large section of Scarborough and has the branch that goes right into the centre of Malvern.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Which then brings us back to the name for the Eglinton East LRT running along Eglinton, Kingston, Morningside and Sheppard.  By the time funding has been secured, construction and testing are completed there should be a long enough gap in memory to reuse the name Scarborough for a higher-order transit line unless Metrolinx is still concerned about duplicating the 86 SCARBOROUGH bus!  If this winds up being a TTC-built line (after any fallout from Eglinton and possibly Ontario), then it won't matter as much.

1 hour ago, wil9402 said:

I was always under the impression that this was partially the reasoning behind the Ontario Line name. At both ends is the Ontario Science Centre and Ontario Place. The line acts like a connector.

Was thinking the same thing, that would be the only logical explanation, at least until the OSC is moved.

6 hours ago, 81-717 said:

PAPE-QUEEN sounds more appropriate when the proposed Queen Subway Line died off.

Back to the EELRT proposal, have they also considered building a subway station on the Brimley-Eglinton-Danforth junction? They need to add the stop to connect to the Danforth stop on Line 7 and then-Councillor Glenn De Baermaker had supported this proposal.

On 9/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, 2044 said:

Proposed maps from the TTC design department have shown the Ontario Line with the SRT blue and numbered 3. While on this topic, they need to come up with a better name for this line. “Line 3 Ontario” sounds dumb.

If TTC reuses SRT blue, they can maybe call the "lucky" line the Cyan Line - like the print cartridge color (or the shade of blue that distinguishes MS Outlook from Word).

I live along the proposed route on Kingston Road. I am dreading the sh*tshow that will be the construction.  I honestly think I may sell and move.

However it's still far enough down the road, probably 10 years before anything starts, since I assume they will have to finish the Scarborough Line 2 extension before anything happens. 

15 hours ago, T3G said:

Well, yes, because Line 1 Yonge-University refers to the location the line runs.

The line for the Second Avenue subway is called the Q train. Only a small part of it is on Second Avenue.

When I'm in New York, I hear people talking about the line letters and numbers. Not the historic names of the tunnels.

We're splitting hairs here, but the Q is the name of the service. It runs along several different corridors, including the Broadway line, Brighton line, and, yes, Second Avenue Subway. Should the Second Avenue Subway be extended south one day, it will also be served by the T.

It is not common for legacy subway lines to be referred to by their ancient corridor names outside of a historical context. But the overwhelming majority of discourse about the northern rerouting of the Q referred to it as the Second Avenue subway, not the Q rerouting/extension.

In practice, few people refer to any of our lines by their names, either. You say to a tourist they need to take the 1, not the 1 Yonge-University. It doesn't change anything about the stupidity of calling the line the Ontario line. If the name is not going to make a useful reference to somewhere the line goes, it would be best to not have any line name at all. Which is also fine, few European cities name any of their services at all and they get by just fine.

11 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Why the 2nd avenue subway specifically, rather than the one running under "Avenue of the Americas" (read: 6th avenue)?

Because that is the only line that has been built in New York in the modern era.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'm not sure I can handle Line 2 Bloor-Danforth-Eglinton-Danforth-McCowan though ... :)

Bloor-Danforth-Scarborough will do

They did shorten Yonge-University-Spadina to Yonge-University. I will suggest Yonge-Spadina but it would be difficult to explain why Spadina should be much longer without the historical context of the Spadina Expressway.

So they could shorten it to Bloor-Scarborough or just keep it Bloor-Danforth which they'll probably do.

• Like 1