TTC Orion VII Retirement Tracker

5 hours ago, T3G said:

What is the issue with the Novas? Those things have been in service for 5 years! What could they possibly have uncovered so late?

I asked a few people at queensway, and apparently 3330-3341 have been breaking down very often now that they are being used on the highway daily. 

This is also why 900 has been mostly using local orions at night, as they have been prioritizing the rack buses for when the route is more busy during the day. This past weekend they only had 6 rack novas availible as 6 of them were in maintenance all weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

How ironic that introducing newer buses on the 900 so far seems to have greatly increased the risk of the very thing they wanted to avoid (buses breaking down on the highway).

15 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

I asked a few people at queensway, and apparently 3330-3341 have been breaking down very often now that they are being used on the highway daily. 

Have any of those breakdowns actually occurred on the highway? Wonder how many on-highway breakdowns the Orions had.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

How ironic that introducing newer buses on the 900 so far seems to have greatly increased the risk of the very thing they wanted to avoid (buses breaking down on the highway).

Have any of those breakdowns actually occurred on the highway? Wonder how many on-highway breakdowns the Orions had.

Not sure of any on-highway breakdowns, but this past Saturday (14th), 3337 broke down after exiting the 427 onto Dixon Road while on the 900. 

• Like 3

On 1/8/2023 at 3:09 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

The passengers will never take the TTC again if the bus broke down that lead to them missing their flight. 

22 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Not sure of any on-highway breakdowns, but this past Saturday (14th), 3337 broke down after exiting the 427 onto Dixon Road while on the 900.

Wonder if anyone ended up missing their flight because of this one. At least the airport was practically within walking distance.

10 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Wonder if anyone ended up missing their flight because of this one. At least the airport was practically within walking distance.

If anyone times their trip so closely that a bus breakdown causes them to miss their flight, they are an idiot and deserve to miss their flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, T3G said:

If anyone times their trip so closely that a bus breakdown causes them to miss their flight, they are an idiot and deserve to miss their flight.

I’m not sure how long would a replacement just arrive but something tells me it’s not within 15 minutes. It works depend on the location of the breakdown. The 427 express lanes near the 401 would make it dangerous to leave and they might need emergency vehicles to close a lane. On top of that, a subway delay, especially P1s plus a break down could mean over 60 minutes and potentially miss a flight.

7 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Have there been actual visual sightings of this, and of the various other non-airport 8000s heading to the airport? Or is this all tracker info?

There have been lots of visuals of non Airport Orions on the 900, I’m not out at Kipling very much so I don’t know about 8008 today though. 

1 minute ago, TTC Guy said:

There have been lots of visuals of non Airport Orions on the highway, I’m not out at Kipling very much so I don’t know about 8008 today though. 

Excellent. I might arrange my day tomorrow to lurk a bit along the lower end of the route and see what's what.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I’m not sure how long would a replacement just arrive but something tells me it’s not within 15 minutes. It works depend on the location of the breakdown. The 427 express lanes near the 401 would make it dangerous to leave and they might need emergency vehicles to close a lane. On top of that, a subway delay, especially P1s plus a break down could mean over 60 minutes and potentially miss a flight.

60 minutes?!

All my life I have been showing up to airports 3-4 hours ahead of a flight. The recommendations all this summer, in view of how institutions don't work post covid, was to show up as early as 5 hours in advance.

Why leave it to the last minute? What are you going to do, run errands? Go to work? Leave yourself a big buffer time and enjoy the peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your edification and amusement, here, straight outta Compton south Etobicoke, are some pictures of North Queen from just about an hour ago this morning.

P1330191.thumb.JPG.3f21daa96acd8e49e4791296bc2a8941.JPG

8009, 8004, 8007, 8005 can be seen in the following pictures. There was at least one 8000 that I couldn't catch.

P1330192.thumb.JPG.24bcd5239d5f29883d3239cb9e4e309f.JPG

P1330193.thumb.JPG.6557634a144d975b10e18ecda60b7d81.JPG

P1330194.thumb.JPG.afc4d040c08ee06b3dc46bbbbb670392.JPG

P1330196.thumb.JPG.3ab55c5ba590027c5909e579ef325ce9.JPG

For you NG hybrid fans:

P1330195.thumb.JPG.d27cd59eab6b41177619de1f106bfef1.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7749 said:

Can I ask how do you know 8065 is done? I thought it's still at the island

Sorry I wasn't specific when I said "done". Yes it's still at the island but whenever it returns to the TTC, there is a very slim chance of it returning to revenue service.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shemar said:

Sorry I wasn't specific when I said "done". Yes it's still at the island but whenever it returns to the TTC, there is a very slim chance of it returning to revenue service.

Not close but there were older buses that were sent to the island prior to retirement. Two Classics from Birchmount were used as island buses from 2008 but one of them remained in the mainland for training and other stuff, but moved to Mount Dennis before they were sold to Belka. I wonder if that bus you said could be eligible for donation.

3 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Not close but there were older buses that were sent to the island prior to retirement. Two Classics from Birchmount were used as island buses from 2008 but one of them remained in the mainland for training and other stuff, but moved to Mount Dennis before they were sold to Belka. I wonder if that bus you said could be eligible for donation.

It was nice to see one of those Classics at the Mt Dennis doors open event. 

Now I wonder if they'll do Doors Open at McNicoll this year.