TTC Orion VII Retirement Tracker

On 11/14/2022 at 11:14 PM, CXW3LL said:

Also eventually Queensway is supposed to get a very small number of articulated buses probably after the new ones come

What Queensway route would they really be needed? Also do they have like the required hoists and space? 

24 minutes ago, Crix said:

What Queensway route would they really be needed? Also do they have like the required hoists and space? 

Queensway isn’t getting any artics there isn’t any Queensway route that needs them if anything they would move a route like 46 to a garage that already has artics

12 minutes ago, Young said:

Queensway isn’t getting any artics there isn’t any Queensway route that needs them if anything they would move a route like 46 to a garage that already has artics

The 46 doesn't needs artics. The headways don't even approach the needs. The right turn southbound at Princess Margret/Lloyd Manor would be very problematic as it is the worst turn on that route.

50 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The 46 doesn't needs artics. The headways don't even approach the needs. The right turn southbound at Princess Margret/Lloyd Manor would be very problematic as it is the worst turn on that route.

I said IF there was a route that’s busy it would be 46 I didn’t say they would put them on 46

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The route can operate with artics. I have operated one on the 46 route with no issues. I can say that I had no issues with the turn. A turn that would stump operators would be (if there was a detour) the right turn from northbound Dufferin onto eastbound Dundas. Even with a wide, cautious and slow approach, I still had to take an extra westbound lane to avoid wrapping the tail around a pole on the corner. 

When the XDE60s arrive, training and adapting to a different wheelbase and setup will require time for operators to get used to. What the LFS artic can handle with ease, might not be as simple with the XDE60. 

1 minute ago, bus_7246 said:

The route can operate with artics. I have operated one on the 46 route with no issues. I can say that I had no issues with the turn. A turn that would stump operators would be (if there was a detour) the right turn from northbound Dufferin onto eastbound Dundas. Even with a wide, cautious and slow approach, I still had to take an extra westbound lane to avoid wrapping the tail around a pole on the corner. 

When the XDE60s arrive, training and adapting to a different wheelbase and setup will require time for operators to get used to. What the LFS artic can handle with ease, might not be as simple with the XDE60. 

When should we expect the pilot XDE60 and/or XDE40 bus?

On 12/12/2022 at 6:10 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

That turn is actually relatively easy to make. All you have to do is give yourself extra space by positioning the bus closer to the centre line prior to executing the turn.  With the smaller turning radius of a Nova Artic, it would be a breeze. 

If you want a very tough right turn, on 71 Runnymede, the right turns off Henrietta in both directions are quite tough. It always has to be an alternate turn, and you have to make sure that the oncoming traffic stays back to give you space to make the turn safely, otherwise it is a guaranteed curb mount.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Genius101 said:

So frustrating that handmedowns will replace them while other divisions get the new shiny gadgets 

Your last bus delivery to Queensway was 31 years ago. It was 35 of the 106 Orion V buses built in 1991. Birchmount took the first 40 and Davenport delivered the last 31, the last bus delivery in that division before it closed two years later.

On a route like 900, where a VERY SIGNIFICANT portion of the route is on a 400 series highway, the assigned buses should always be as newer as possible, to lessen  the chance of a mechanical breakdown. It is one thing to have a breakdown on the side of a regular road, but it is a completely different thing for it to happen on the side of a highway with the speed limit at 100 km/h (which is actually quite scary). 

It will be interesting to see if the Novas with the luggage rack retrofit that replace 8000 - 8011 will have the same exterior paint style as their Orion predecessors. 

• Like 1