TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

10 minutes ago, Streety McCarface said:

Heard it from multiple drivers yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if they're okay with it being public knowledge at this point, however, we won't know for sure for a few more weeks at least. 

I think some people know, but it’s probably best to leave it as a surprise for the foamers that don’t. Not everyone needs to know now. 

6 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Exactly. I am not going to say it obviously. But I will say that I think it’s going to the right place if they store it properly.

I've not heard anything, though it would be neat to see a static display indoors at an old reused streetcar yard - such as Wychwood, or Coxwell with the new city facilities going in there (library, police station, and TTC offices).

With 4178 having the art theme, Wychwood would be particularly brilliant.

• Like 2

4179, 4184, 4123, 4193, 4040, 4042, are still on 511 At 1:34 with 4085 going out of service on King

29 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I've not heard anything, though it would be neat to see a static display indoors at an old reused streetcar yard - such as Wychwood, or Coxwell with the new city facilities going in there (library, police station, and TTC offices).

With 4178 having the art theme, Wychwood would be particularly brilliant.

One of the PCC's are supposed to go to Wychwood, but an CLRV could go there as well, but not 4178

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

You may need some of this after today!

20191027_153212.jpg

Glad I took my last ride last weekend way in advance of all these people taking pics and videos. Don't want my face indirectly pastured all over the internet like a celebrity.

• Like 1

Couple of random questions:

1. Something I haven’t been able to find much information about is when they tested an A/C unit on 4089 in the 90s. Does anyone have any pictures or could at least explain what was wrong with it and how it compared to 4041?

2. Is there any plans to have any CLRVs stay around as yard mules? And if 4105 and 4021 are being used as Leslie mules, does anyone know how long they plan to be using those? 

33 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

1. Something I haven’t been able to find much information about is when they tested an A/C unit on 4089 in the 90s. Does anyone have any pictures or could at least explain what was wrong with it and how it compared to 4041?

2. Is there any plans to have any CLRVs stay around as yard mules? And if 4105 and 4021 are being used as Leslie mules, does anyone know how long they plan to be using those? 

4089 and 4238 both had test A/C systems in the mid 90s but if I had to guess, TTC decided not to go foward with putting A/C on all the CLRVs with the exception of 4041, also it's been confirmed TTC is keeping 4089 along with 4001 per an article in the Toronto Sun with Mike Filey.

• Thanks 4

17 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

I think just everyday people.

Plenty of non-foaming people were taking pictures of 4178 as it travelled east on the Carlton route Friday afternoon. Others just looked and smiled. I think the news is out. :wub:

7 hours ago, Orion V said:

Glad I took my last ride last weekend way in advance of all these people taking pics and videos. Don't want my face indirectly pastured all over the internet like a celebrity.

There was one young man on my trip across Queen on the 21st who was not neurotypical. The operator took it all in stride and kept up a conversation. I think it's the same operator that the CBC has listed as the final car op.

I didn't really like these cars when they first appeared, replacing the more interesting PCCs. However, I will miss the fact that their windows open, and there's no meep-meep and bing-bong-bang as the doors open and close. Just the sound of the door alarm as unaware riders try to push them open....with the operator, and everyone around the stairwells, yelling "Step down!"

To be fair, that seemed to be much more prevalent on the ALRVs. Just about everyone on the CLRVs seems to know how to get the rear doors to open.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

I was told that 4105 will likely be sticking around longer then the rest of them as a yard mule. How long however is unknown. As for 4021, I was told that it was in “storage”, however I don’t know what this means or the future for the car. But I would think it’s being used as a yard mule or being preserved by another group. More likely a yard mule.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Here's a shot I took of 4089 in 1995 I think, I don't remember the date but it's on the back of the photo. I think the a/c was gone by 1997.

20190928_203351.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1