Nova Bus LFS (all models)

dj.surf.lfs

They mention in the article that it's the new generation. Everytime the LFS gets a major update, it changes to a next gen bus. As for the front, I don't see it changing, but the roof kit will make it look different then what were use to seeing.

I assume the new Smart Bus interior will come standard with the new 4th-generation rear design. I wonder if this means the Smart Bus interior on 3rd-generation buses is considered a 3 and a half gen? Just for argument's sake.

I assume the new Smart Bus interior will come standard with the new 4th-generation rear design. I wonder if this means the Smart Bus interior on 3rd-generation buses is considered a 3 and a half gen? Just for argument's sake.

That was my thought. Since its going to be a 4th gen they would update the interior. and that means it will have the new roof style too? the Second gen design has seem to last the longest which was 10 years and the 3rd gen has only lasted 4 years.

I have tried to find out when the EPA2013 engines would become compulsory in new buses, but couldn't find the information. Anyone knows? I'm asking because I think the introduction of the '4th gen' could coincide with that of the EPA2013 Cummins.

I have tried to find out when the EPA2013 engines would become compulsory in new buses, but couldn't find the information. Anyone knows? I'm asking because I think the introduction of the '4th gen' could coincide with that of the EPA2013 Cummins.

Logic would dictate probably July 2013, which is typically when the model years switch. And it's been mentioned before that the change in rear end (and the 4th generation) are because of the EPA2013 engines.

I hope TTC gets the 3rd Gen Rear ends before July 2013. Then by late 2013 or 2014, 4th gen rear ends. lol. Small differences I don't mind seeing, similar to the D40-87/88/89. But thats too much of a geek wish to actually happen. :P

Well considering that the first 27 comes in 2013 and the remaining comes in 2014, there should be a difference unless the 27 comes after summer 2013 which makes them almost identical to the 2014 models. The 2014 ones should have the EPA2013 engines which means they must be 4G.

Well considering that the first 27 comes in 2013 and the remaining comes in 2014, there should be a difference unless the 27 comes after summer 2013 which makes them almost identical to the 2014 models. The 2014 ones should have the EPA2013 engines which means they must be 4G.

Depends when the first 27 are coming. TTC recieved the 8100s and 8300s in March, But this is another bus supplier, it could be later. I'm not sure what TTC wants, but between TTC awarding the contract to actually recieving the bus, I wonder what the usual time frame is. I believe in the past TTC would say within 18 months from awarding the contract(?)

But that was the past...like I said, this is another contract with another bus supplier.

Edit:

Looks as if they will arrive in the fall of 2013. So they will be 4th Gen buses.

• 5 weeks later...

Huge victory for Nova bus

CTA Approved to Purchase (Nova LFS) 300 New Clean Diesel Buses

1/11/2013

The Chicago Transit Board today unanimously approved the purchase of at least 300 new buses as part of CTAโ€™s bus fleet modernization initiative announced by Mayor Rahm Emanuel and CTA President Forrest Claypool in June 2012.The board approved a contract with Nova Bus that allows for the purchase of at least 300 buses and as many as 450 clean diesel buses that will provide customers with a more comfortable and reliable ride.

โ€œWith buses providing more than 60 percent of all rides taken on CTA, continued investment and upkeep of CTAโ€™s bus fleet is critical in keeping the city moving,โ€ said CTA President Claypool. โ€œThese new buses will replace more than 60 percent of CTAโ€™s oldest Nova buses and will ensure the CTA continues to provide safe and reliable service through a modernized fleet. Whatโ€™s more, by staying ahead of the curve and properly scheduling the gradual replacement of our fleet, CTA is maximizing its previous investments and preventing more costly repairs on aging vehicles in the coming years.โ€

With a standard useful life of 12 years, the 484 6400-series Nova buses that were purchased by CTA between 2000-2002 will be gradually replaced with the new, standard (40-foot), low-floor, clean diesel buses following delivery of a prototype in December with full-production expected to begin in February 2014.

The new 37-seat buses will feature fare collection equipment for CTAโ€™s new Ventra fare payment system (to launch this summer), LED lighting, multiple security cameras and improved fuel economy. The buses will be in compliance with the latest EPA emissions standards and will meet and exceed all current ADA requirements, including two mobility device securement locations and an all-electric ramp with a decreased slope when deployed for easier access.

The contract was awarded to Nova Bus, a division of Prevost Car, Inc. following a competitive bid process. According to the terms of agreement, CTA will purchase a minimum of 300 buses at an amount not to exceed $148 million (approximately $489,000 per bus plus spare parts and tools), with an option to purchase up to 150 additional buses following Board approval. Funding for the purchase is a combination of mostly federal formula funds and CTA bond proceeds.

The CTAโ€™s plans for an upcoming purchase of up to 150 new articulated (60-foot) clean diesel and hybrid buses, which are also part of the bus fleet modernization plan announced in 2012, will be announced upon completion of the procurement process.

In May, the Board approved the purchase of up to 100 new articulated buses from New Flyer Industries, which began arriving late last year and are being entered into service following CTA inspection and acceptance. These new bus purchases along with the multi-year project of performing mid-life overhauls on 60% of the agencyโ€™s existing fleet will result in a modernized bus fleet within the next few years.

Source: http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3133

• Board Admin

There is a separate contract for up to 150 new articulated buses, so New Flyer still has another chance. They are currently delivering 100 DE60LFRs to CTA.

Though they still face competition from Nova on this artic contract too!

CTA is interesting - 1030 D40LFs, yet they still went with Nova to replace their 484 Novas. Do you think we will see them stick to New Flyer for their artics, or take a chance on Nova LFS Artics?

There is a separate contract for up to 150 new articulated buses, so New Flyer still has another chance. They are currently delivering 100 DE60LFRs to CTA.

Though they still face competition from Nova on this artic contract too!

CTA is interesting - 1030 D40LFs, yet they still went with Nova to replace their 484 Novas. Do you think we will see them stick to New Flyer for their artics, or take a chance on Nova LFS Artics?

I think I'll be surprised if they don't go back to NFI for the artics, but who knows?

Whats the word on the Nova LFSA? Solid bus?

• Board Admin

A growing number of operators are ordering the LFS Artic, including New York, with 328 units to be delivered by the end of 2013.

Chicago was burned on the NABI 60-LFWs so I bet they will be careful if they were to switch away from New Flyer.

Thanks for the pictures! Nova should update their bus CG model, their renders all have the early 3rd generation 'smile'. Was there anything interesting inside the calendar?

It's all in one calender poster, I've seen it myself! Should be very good in competition down in the US area for CNG market!

• 4 weeks later...