Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

20 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I've never looked, but are the tip in windows on the flexities drilled shut too? 

Someone on that very streetcar tried to open the window, and failed. So I assume, screwed shut. Has anyone seen a flexity with an open window at all?

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Someone on that very streetcar tried to open the window, and failed. So I assume, screwed shut. Has anyone seen a flexity with an open window at all?

The windows aren’t screwed shut. You need a specific tool to unlatch the ‘lock’ holding the window closed. Thus far, 4568 has a window open on the rear street side of the car. I guess it’s been forgotten about to have been running with it open since it entered service 

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The windows aren’t screwed shut. You need a specific tool to unlatch the ‘lock’ holding the window closed. Thus far, 4568 has a window open on the rear street side of the car. I guess it’s been forgotten about to have been running with it open since it entered service 

For the average rider, I'm not sure needing a special tool to open the LFLRV windows is functionally different from the bus windows being screwed shut. After all, a special tool resembling a screwdriver would probably get the bus windows open. B)

This stupid windows closed policy is pissing people off. During the last week or so, I've heard numerous people asking the drivers to turn on the AC, because its just stifling in the buses. Some refuse, some turn it on. People are also grabbing for the windows even in the lower section of the buses, and they've noticed the screws.

I can somewhat understand the need for this during summer heat. But not now.

18 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Random thing but I find it absolutely hilarious 4412 still has an APTA award sticker on it

A good number of the early delivery car into the 445xs retain the sticker. As do a handful of LFSes that are allocated at Birchmount and Queensway 

• Thanks 3

On 9/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, MK78 said:

This stupid windows closed policy is pissing people off. During the last week or so, I've heard numerous people asking the drivers to turn on the AC, because its just stifling in the buses. Some refuse, some turn it on. People are also grabbing for the windows even in the lower section of the buses, and they've noticed the screws.

I can somewhat understand the need for this during summer heat. But not now.

As of today the screws are being removed from the bus windows. I'm not sure if they will lock the windows again next summer of forget about the idea altogether.

• Like 1

^By far the most idiotic policy instituted by the TTC in the decade. Rick Leary is so much dumber than I thought.

On a side note what's with the external speakers that have been installed on the T1s, did they get them from Dollarama? They haven't even been active for 1 month and half of them already sound muffled.

50 minutes ago, lip said:

^By far the most idiotic policy instituted by the TTC in the decade. Rick Leary is so much dumber than I thought.

On a side note what's with the external speakers that have been installed on the T1s, did they get them from Dollarama? They haven't even been active for 1 month and half of them already sound muffled.

You can't blame Rick Leary for everything.  It is probably the doing of the surface transportation manager.  

23 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

You can't blame Rick Leary for everything.  It is probably the doing of the surface transportation manager.  

Being the CEO, he has the ultimate rubber stamp over all major decisions at the TTC. If he said no, the project would've been stopped. No if, ands, or buts.

I have yet to hear one solid explanation behind the rational of screwing the windows shut. There have been tons of complaints about it, and as CEO he could have either directed the communications dept or better yet, come out himself (via one of numerous communication means) with the reasoning as to why they went ahead with the decision. This is just basic business 101, it doesnt take a Harvard business executive grad to figure this stuff out.

16 minutes ago, lip said:

Being the CEO, he has the ultimate rubber stamp over all major decisions at the TTC. If he said no, the project would've been stopped. No if, ands, or buts.

I have yet to hear one solid explanation behind the rational of screwing the windows shut. There have been tons of complaints about it, and as CEO he could have either directed the communications dept or better yet, come out himself (via one of numerous communication means) with the reasoning as to why they went ahead with the decision. This is just basic business 101, it doesnt take a Harvard business executive grad to figure this stuff out.

I laid the reasons out for you.

you just didn’t find them to your liking.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I laid the reasons out for you.

you just didn’t find them to your liking.

A solid reason from the TTC directly. Last I checked it wasnt your job to convey that information but you chose to do so. Just because I know that information now (yes because of you) there are thousands of riders who still have no idea why the windows were screwed shut all of a sudden. There are people who's sole/major responsibility is to convey that information out to the public, but yet they have failed to do so.

The reason why many people are frustrated with the TTC is because of their pathetic communication and failure to convey information to the public. Here's yet another example of just that.

8 minutes ago, lip said:

A solid reason from the TTC directly. Last I checked it wasnt your job to convey that information but you chose to do so. There are people who's sole/major responsibility is to convey that information out to the public, but yet they have failed to do so.

The reason why many people are frustrated with the TTC is because of their pathetic communication and failure to convey information to the public. Here's yet another example of just that.

You posed the question to the limited membership within the discussion board.

Who the hell did you think the response was going to come from?  You asked, I answered...and you’re going to throw it back it me?! Get your future  technical questions from “directly” from customer service, because I’m done with the subject, and you.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

You posed the question to the limited membership within the discussion board.

Who the hell did you think the response was going to come from?  You asked, I answered...and you’re going to throw it back it me?! Get your future  technical questions from “directly” from customer service, because I’m done with the subject, and you.

I'm sorry are you in the TTC's PR/Communications department? Obviously i'm smart enough to realize you work for the TTC. I'm speaking for the general public here who still dont have the answers, not myself explicitly (who got the answer and knows about the issue). Do you think all of the general public is a part of this limited membership board? Didn't think so.

Fine by me if you dont want to answer my questions and are "done with me", I didnt obligate you at any point to do so. Hell I didnt obligate you to feel the need to respond to a statement (ie: not a question) on this topic today and work yourself up over it, so dont start overheating over nothing. Take a chill pill, who got you all worked up at the job today.

14 minutes ago, lip said:

I'm sorry are you in the TTC's PR/Communications department? Obviously i'm smart enough to realize you work for the TTC. I'm speaking for the general public here who still dont have the answers, not myself explicitly (who got the answer and knows about the issue). Do you think all of the general public is a part of this limited membership board? Didn't think so.

Fine by me if you dont want to answer my questions and are "done with me", I didnt obligate you at any point to do so. Heck I didnt obligate you to feel the need to respond to a statement (ie: not a question) on this topic today and work yourself up over it, so dont start overheating over nothing. Take a chill pill, who got you all worked up at the job today.

Why not go ask Customer Service about the windows?

1 minute ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Why not go ask Customer Service about the windows?

I dont know if you guys are hard headed today or something. Again, I know why the windows are shut, I am speaking about the general public who still dont know why the windows are screwed shut.

If there have been hundreds of people asking the TTC why the windows have been screwed shut, clearly they have not been communicating the reasoning.

Maybe it’s not as big of an issue as you make it out to be. Sure, maybe you have heard people complain. I haven’t, and I ride the 939 during rush hour daily. I haven’t seen a single person reach for the windows. But who am I to say anything? Just like you, I’m another commuter.

As transit enthusiasts, we know the “quirks and features” of each respective bus model. Your average commuter just wanting to get to get home isn’t about to say “oh dear here comes a Gen4 Novabus LFS where the AC sucks for the rear bench seats, let me wait for the next Orion.”.

Maybe the a general public just doesn’t care enough, because it’s not as bad as you make it out to be.

12 minutes ago, lip said:

I dont know if you guys are hard headed today or something. Again, I know why the windows are shut, I am speaking about the general public who still dont know why the windows are screwed shut.

If there have been hundreds of people asking the TTC why the windows have been screwed shut, clearly they have not been communicating the reasoning.

15 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Maybe the a general public just doesn’t care enough, because it’s not as bad as you make it out to be.

Maybe it is, maybe it isnt. It depends on what you see and who you ask.

I've seen people raise the issue over various forms of social media, thank me when I prop open the top hatch because they're hot as hell, yell at drivers for not turning on the A/C, etc...

Again, it depends on who/what you listen to. I dont hold the metrics on all the complaints that the TTC gets so I dont know how big/small the issue is, but from everything  i've been hearing throughout this experiment, it leads me to believe it's a big enough issue.

15 hours ago, lip said:

Sorry, you've been spoiled by Andy Byford. He's no longer CEO of the TTC so don't expect explanations for every little thing the TTC does anymore. 

7 hours ago, MK78 said:

Hmm, has something changed with the "windows closed" policy? I've seen several nova's today with the screws removed from the windows.

Nothing really, the weather has started to cool off so they started to remove them since the A/C wont be in operation nearly as much as in the summer months