Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

What exactly are the differences between the 8000s and the 8100s besides design? I was under the impression that they were basically the same.

33 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

What exactly are the differences between the 8000s and the 8100s besides design? I was under the impression that they were basically the same.

at least 2 differences 1) there is a button to reduce the heat released from the exhaust pipes.  It is done to prevent the hot exhaust from catching the low hanging leaves from catching fire.  

2) the mirror button is slightly different.  It can used to adjust 2 mirrors on the right hand side.  

53 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Besides the fibreglass end caps,  the only real noteworthy change is that the radiator fan is hydraulically driven on the 8000s, and mechanically driven via a belt and mitre gearbox/electric clutch on the 8100s.

Not sure if this was mentioned previously but recently I have noticed that on VISION buses, there is a hesitation after “next stop”. For example the old announcement would say “next stop arrow road” and the new announcement would say “next stop, arrow road”. 

Just a thought: if the 79xx are retiring this year, then it might be easier to move them to Birchmount now and then Queensway gets more 84xx novas. When 3570-3654 get delivered later this year (and they get delivered to Arrow), then Arrow would only need to move the 31xx to Birchmount to replace the 79xx.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what the deal is with the automatic locks on the windows with the new Novas? I'm referring to whether they are an option spec'd by the TTC or if they are just a new feature with the LFS in general.

It really doesnt seem like the best thing to do at this time (although I get the idea why they did it) due to the airflow/patchy NovaBus A/C system.

2 minutes ago, lip said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with the automatic locks on the windows with the new Novas? I'm referring to whether they are an option spec'd by the TTC or if they are just a new feature with the LFS in general.

It really doesnt seem like the best thing to do at this time (although I get the idea why they did it) due to the airflow/patchy NovaBus A/C system.

Expect to see them retrofitted on the rest of the fleet.

^Fantastic, looking forward to the cesspool of warm air over the summer months every summer!

Nevertheless, appreciate the heads up on that.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Expect to see them retrofitted on the rest of the fleet.

I don’t think it’s a retrofit. It looks like we went with a new style window frame bc I’ve seen a similar window frame lock on a newer (mid-2000s or later NABI) Denver bus. The regular latch is there on the frame, but installed shy of the tip-in holding clip

I get why they’re locked when they arrive, but don’t get why they are still locked upon entering service 

9 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I don’t think it’s a retrofit. It looks like we went with a new style window frame bc I’ve seen a similar window frame lock on a newer (mid-2000s or later NABI) Denver bus. The regular latch is there on the frame, but installed shy of the tip-in holding clip

I get why they’re locked when they arrive, but don’t get why they are still locked upon entering service 

Yes, those particular locks are factory installations. I mean the existing windows on all existing buses will be locked as a fuel saving initiative. I never said they would use an identical method.

At least that’s what the technical services department bulletin stated when it popped up as I logged in for Saturday’s work orders.

I remember when the engineering department (I think) were the ones who planned to screw lock the tip-in on the NG hybrid when they were new because of the window issue. When the AC Fail light would come on and the driver would still keep the bad HVAC on in the middle of the summer with locked window was the best idea ever!!!

Malfunctioning a/c is definitely meets the criteria for a changeoff now, and going forward after the windows are sealed. 

Technically with vision tied into the J1939 multiplex loop, they could theoretically catch an a/c fail code remotely, even if the operator didn’t report it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I do now if I happen to be on one of the 3100-3130 nova's that are on Birchmount roster now, is pop the roof vent so there is airflow when the bus is moving.

Of course I try to sit at the front if there is room. The AC airflow in the rear of the Nova's is atrocious.

Oh how I miss the Orion VII's

1 minute ago, MK78 said:

What I do now if I happen to be on one of the 3100-3130 nova's that are on Birchmount roster now, is pop the roof vent so there is airflow when the bus is moving.

Of course I try to sit at the front if there is room. The AC airflow in the rear of the Nova's is atrocious.

Buy a car.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Buy a car.

Yeah, if I could be medically cleared to drive, I would.

But thanks for your understanding. :huh:

28 minutes ago, MK78 said:

The VIIs from 2002-2009 all have that issue too (hence why the rear tip-in windows are always open [major OCD when the ac is on]). The only difference is that they don’t run as warm on the back row of seats as nearly any Novabus (RTS or LFS) we’ve owned. 

But if you do pop the vent in the rear of the bus, push up just the front of the hatch for decent air flow

11 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The VIIs from 2002-2009 all have that issue too (hence why the rear tip-in windows are always open [major OCD when the ac is on]). The only difference is that they don’t run as warm on the back row of seats as nearly any Novabus (RTS or LFS) we’ve owned. 

But if you do pop the vent in the rear of the bus, push up just the front of the hatch for decent air flow

That's what I do, just the front so it guides the air in.

Yeah whatever is with the Novas, the insulation from the engine, or not enough air circulation in the engine bay, it really warms up the back.

I really dislike that they are locking the windows. I would be OK with it if there was adequate AC in the back section.

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah, if I could be medically cleared to drive, I would.

But thanks for your understanding. :huh:

It’s customer service’s job to understand.

I fix buses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The 2002-2009 Orion VIIs dont have that issue at all. The A/C (when working) provides more than adequate cooling and proper air circulation for the entire bus.  The RTS had some pretty bad A/C, probably almost at the same level as the LFS. However due to it's design, the air circulated much better in the RTS than in the LFS.

11 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Yes, those particular locks are factory installations. I mean the existing windows on all existing buses will be locked as a fuel saving initiative. I never said they would use an identical method.

At least that’s what the technical services department bulletin stated when it popped up as I logged in for Saturday’s work orders.

If this is true, this is probably one of the dumbest initiatives i've heard of in a long, long time. Realistically speaking, they arent going to be saving a whole lot of cash this way (I dont care what the penny pinchers told them).

It's so dumb I really cant see this rolling out system wide on a full scale.

I’m just the messenger.

But having a 20-40 horsepower parasitic draw for absolutely no logical reason ‘cause it’s being lost to the open windows is pretty f’n stupid too.

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

It’s customer service’s job to understand.

I fix buses.

Then fix the shitty AC in the Nova's, and quit yer bitchin at everything on these forums. Your attitude is poor at best.

BTW, I was on a Nova today, an 85xx of sort, and the AC fans were on real high and the back of the bus was actually cool. It was a bit loud in the bus, but hell i'll take the extra fan noise in this weather if its cooler.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Then fix the shitty AC in the Nova's, and quit yer bitchin at everything on these forums. Your attitude is poor at best.

BTW, I was on a Nova today, an 85xx of sort, and the AC fans were on real high and the back of the bus was actually cool. It was a bit loud in the bus, but hell i'll take the extra fan noise in this weather if its cooler.

1. -That’s the engineering department’s job. I only work to their direction. I tried having a brain there once, they crumpled it up and threw it in the waste basket. I learned my lesson.

2...3, 4 and 5. I don’t care.

• Thanks 2

On 6/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, smallspy said:

Normally, the fine print in the contract between the advertiser and the rep for the transit agency would cover the situations a vehicle that was out of service on a day-to-day basis (i.e. too bad, so sad). However, this might be a situation where a single vehicle was contracted to be used, and that the vehicle has been removed from service permanently. The contract may then call for a second vehicle to be wrapped to finish the term of the contract.

Dan

In a more recent example, Dolphin Gaming had full wraps of 4 Orion VIIs out of Eglinton in late 2016/early 2017. One of the wrapped buses was retired in the early part of the retirements; as a result, another VII unit was wrapped to finish the ad campaign.

8 hours ago, Articulated said:

In a more recent example, Dolphin Gaming had full wraps of 4 Orion VIIs out of Eglinton in late 2016/early 2017. One of the wrapped buses was retired in the early part of the retirements; as a result, another VII unit was wrapped to finish the ad campaign.

#8888 had the wrap as well.

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

#8888 had the wrap as well.

8888 was part of a different ad campaign. The ones on the VIIs had an all black background, while the one on 8888 was a multicolour design. The situation I'm referring to had the same ad from the retired bus placed onto another bus.