Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

How much does the drivetrain in the New Flyer LFs differ from the 7000 Orion Vs?

Do the NFLFs ever make it on the 192? I've followed a few deadheading on the QEW and they move right along.

After the performance of the 6600 and 7000 Orion Vs and the NFLF, the Orion VII with the forever turbo lag must have come as quite a disappointment.

Not much. Turbo is waste gated, a newer engine computer, the rest is flyer plumbing.

One big difference is the final drive (axle) but if all the computations were put in, it likely works out pretty similar.

The low floor flyers use an axle where the diff ratio is much closer to 1:1, and the reduction is done using planetary gears in the hubs.

How much does the drivetrain in the New Flyer LFs differ from the 7000 Orion Vs?

Do the NFLFs ever make it on the 192? I've followed a few deadheading on the QEW and they move right along.

After the performance of the 6600 and 7000 Orion Vs and the NFLF, the Orion VII with the forever turbo lag must have come as quite a disappointment.

The 7300s were the original airport buses I believe. They are slow off the line but once they get going they really go. I don't think they are governed either as some of them go well over 100km/h.

Not much. Turbo is waste gated, a newer engine computer, the rest is flyer plumbing.

One big difference is the final drive (axle) but if all the computations were put in, it likely works out pretty similar.

The low floor flyers use an axle where the diff ratio is much closer to 1:1, and the reduction is done using planetary gears in the hubs.

Is the idea behind the rear axle to make it lower profile, thus lowering the floor at the back part of the bus?

Also, I haven't seen a NFLF blowing black or blue smoke out the stack--unlike any number of "clean" VII hybrids that put out a smoke shield. Maybe it's just Queensway maintenance--the 8000s look to be running clean as well.

The 7300s were the original airport buses I believe. They are slow off the line but once they get going they really go. I don't think they are governed either as some of them go well over 100km/h.

120 km/h would not surprise me.

Also, I haven't seen a NFLF blowing black or blue smoke out the stack--unlike any number of "clean" VII hybrids that put out a smoke shield. Maybe it's just Queensway maintenance--the 8000s look to be running clean as well.

120 km/h would not surprise me.

They certainly were blowing black smoke before they went in for the rebuilds a couple of years ago. They do seem to have held up a bit better after the rebuild than the first Orion VIIs, however.

Unless things have changed recently, all of the TTC's buses are limited to 105km/h.

Dan

They certainly were blowing black smoke before they went in for the rebuilds a couple of years ago. They do seem to have held up a bit better after the rebuild than the first Orion VIIs, however.

Unless things have changed recently, all of the TTC's buses are limited to 105km/h.

Dan

Most are governed to 100 km/h....

Just not the 7300s. 120 is easily obtainable.

I know this has been discussed before but I cannot seem to find it anywhere, so my apologies in advance but how do you access the nextbus xml data?

Here's the feed with switches for 510 - http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=510&t=0

Documentation is at http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=4427790e6f21d210VgnVCM1000003dd60f89RCRD

The reason was a complaint made a long time ago that the destination signs were displaying too much information, at the time the signs have to scroll 3 to 5 times (including the P/R signs). Example: 133 Neilson <flash> 133 To Finch <flash> via Centenary <flash> !! Go Jays Go!! repeat or another old example: 39C Finch East <flash> EXPRESS <flash> 39C To McCowan <flash> EXPRESS < !! Go Jays Go!!.

WIth the entire fleet of buses and Flexity streetcars, their destination signs can display two lines of text. So this shouldn't be as much of a problem nowadays. But with the management printing those Go Jays Go window cards, doesn't look like they are in a hurry to add them to the sign program.

The reason was a complaint made a long time ago that the destination signs were displaying too much information, at the time the signs have to scroll 3 to 5 times (including the P/R signs). Example: 133 Neilson <flash> 133 To Finch <flash> via Centenary <flash> !! Go Jays Go!! repeat or another old example: 39C Finch East <flash> EXPRESS <flash> 39C To McCowan <flash> EXPRESS < !! Go Jays Go!!.

WIth the entire fleet of buses and Flexity streetcars, their destination signs can display two lines of text. So this shouldn't be as much of a problem nowadays. But with the management printing those Go Jays Go window cards, doesn't look like they are in a hurry to add them to the sign program.

We still have long signs like those that serve the 905s that have to display extra fare.

The 52B/52D are one of the extreme ones. E.g. 52B Lawrence West to Westwood <flash> 52B Lawrence West via Dixon Rd <flash> Extra Fare Required, West of Airport. On the side sign, it's already 5 messages long.

The Flexity Streetcar also have a smaller sign. The 510 Spadina sign cannot fit To Queens Quay and Spadina on the same line. I don't like these signs actually. The 510 route number is smaller and the TTC chose not to display the numbers in full size. Then most of the route destinations are too long. E.g. 505 Dundas to Broadview Stn <flash> 505 Dundas via Dundas. Eventually TTC wants to add branch letters like 510A to King, 510B to QQ&S, 510C to Union Stn and of course 510S Short Turn.

Many destinations don't fits in one line.

Queens Quay and Bathurst

Roncesvalles and Queen

Broadview Stn via King

Greenwood and Queen

Coxwell and Queen

etc etc etc.

The TTC also added one extra stroll line, "Short Turn". I don't think GO Jays Go will actually happen in the signs ever.

And of course you can't take a good picture of the sign while the streetcar is moving.