Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Except when they had the squealing brakes on the T-1s. The T-1s on the BD didn't squeal very much at all, but the ones on YUS were squealing to the point where people on platforms were covering their ears. This went on until Andy Byford was being interviewed for tv news at Davisville when one of those squealing T-1s rolled in behind, and he said "We'll have to do something about that." A couple of months later, no more squealing! Don't know what they were weren't doing at Wilson that was being done at Greenwood, but it took a long time to get cleared up. That being said, Wilson trains generally tend to be cleaner inside than Greenwood trains.

Except when they had the squealing brakes on the T-1s. The T-1s on the BD didn't squeal very much at all, but the ones on YUS were squealing to the point where people on platforms were covering their ears. This went on until Andy Byford was being interviewed for tv news at Davisville when one of those squealing T-1s rolled in behind, and he said "We'll have to do something about that." A couple of months later, no more squealing! Don't know what they were weren't doing at Wilson that was being done at Greenwood, but it took a long time to get cleared up. That being said, Wilson trains generally tend to be cleaner inside than Greenwood trains.

I believe the squeaking noise comes from flat spots on the wheel. Since Wilson trains often go through many curve sections (Union, St George, etc), the wheels get worn out quicker leading to more squeaking. That means they'll have to grind the wheels at a much quicker rate than Greenwood trains.

I hate to say it but Wilson does a better job at taking care of subway cars.

I would think it's just newer equipment responsible for this for the most part. From what I understand, a lot of the TRs are still under warranty, so that would be Bombardier paying for and executing a lot of the repairs. Give it a few years, when the warranty service agreements expire on most of the TRs before you pass judgement. It's easy to keep things running at near new conditions when somebody else is footing the bill on repairing fairly new equipment. In fifteen years time, lets see how well those TRs are holding up.

I believe the squeaking noise comes from flat spots on the wheel. Since Wilson trains often go through many curve sections (Union, St George, etc), the wheels get worn out quicker leading to more squeaking. That means they'll have to grind the wheels at a much quicker rate than Greenwood trains.

Flat spots on the wheels make a banging sound when the train runs. This was totally related to the brakes as almost every T-1 on YUS was doing it. The squealing stopped and never returned, and I don't think they changed the wheels on half of the T-1 fleet in that short time. It was actually discussed in one of these threads when it was happening.

Sue put up this comment on reddit:

"TTC is aware of the problem with Air Conditioning on Line 2. In some cases we can fix the issues right away - in others, the train would need to be repaired while it is in the yard. There is a longer term fix for this that will be addressed in the winter."

Flat spots on the wheels make a banging sound when the train runs. This was totally related to the brakes as almost every T-1 on YUS was doing it. The squealing stopped and never returned, and I don't think they changed the wheels on half of the T-1 fleet in that short time. It was actually discussed in one of these threads when it was happening.

I remember the squealing issue being mentioned in a thread somewhere, but I can't recall anyone explaining what caused that noise. Does anyone know?

I saw a unit with broken A/C again.. It is 5365-5364.. I just sent that car and decided to wait for the next train..

On the Sheppard line, pair 5274-5275 has been running with non-functioning AC for almost a week, every day, ~ 21 hrs/day... No point in reporting it, fall is coming.

A lot of people have been tweeting to @ttchelps about T1 cars with no a/c. Best response I could find is this one: "AC units on some T1 cars become overworked in extreme heat. We address as quickly as we can.Working on long-term solution."

Source: https://twitter.com/TTChelps/status/639544379556892672

Oh dear, now the conspiracy theorists about general problems actually work at the TTC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

96 Wilson is such a terrible route. We waited for the 96 or 165 bus for 15 minutes at Jane and Wilson and there is so many people waiting which causes the bus to overload.

It is also seen in this blogger: http://worstsurfaceroutes.blogspot.ca/2015/03/here-are-top-10-ttcs-worst-surface.html

I dunno why 41 Keele, 68 Warden and 37 Islington doesn't gets ten minute networks, those routes are also pretty busy.

I'm glad that most routes that was cut back in 2011 was restored because there is so many complaints.

25 Don Mills and 29 Dufferin needs an all day express service.

16 McCowan should be extended southwest to Coxwell station replacing 70C O Connor and north to Steeles replacing the 129B McCowan North branch and also have ten minute network for that route.

Let's hope the 1996 orion v ex cng retires already because those buses are ugly!

96 Wilson is such a terrible route. We waited for the 96 or 165 bus for 15 minutes at Jane and Wilson and there is so many people waiting which causes the bus to overload.

It is also seen in this blogger: http://worstsurfaceroutes.blogspot.ca/2015/03/here-are-top-10-ttcs-worst-surface.html

I dunno why 41 Keele, 68 Warden and 37 Islington doesn't gets ten minute networks, those routes are also pretty busy.

I'm glad that most routes that was cut back in 2011 was restored because there is so many complaints.

16 McCowan should be extended southwest to Coxwell station replacing 70C O Connor and north to Steeles replacing the 129B McCowan North branch and also have ten minute network for that route.

Arrow division does a horrible job in line management.

96 Wilson, 165 Weston Rd North, 36 Finch West and 60 Steeles West are all horrible in rush hour. Particularly the 60 and 96. Arrow just lets 5-8 60's head to Finch Stn leaving 15-30 minute gaps on the 60B/D branches, you are screwed if you need to go beyond York U. The 36 is slightly better with the artic schedules, they are given more time than 40 ft buses. The 96 is a disaster, 20-30 minute headways are common on specific 96A or 96B branches. The 165A is better than the 96.

MtD seem to do a better job in line management with a noticeable exception of the 41. The 32 has gap buses that fills in the central portion but the 32A branch could see 15 minute gaps past Jane. The 52 is a disaster in PM rush but with as many as 47 buses, Lawrence West to Weston gets pretty decent services. The 52 is better managed than the 96.

The 29 is never going to get an express unless they actively tow cars on the right lane in rush hour.

Arrow division does a horrible job in line management.

96 Wilson, 165 Weston Rd North, 36 Finch West and 60 Steeles West are all horrible in rush hour. Particularly the 60 and 96. Arrow just lets 5-8 60's head to Finch Stn leaving 15-30 minute gaps on the 60B/D branches, you are screwed if you need to go beyond York U. The 36 is slightly better with the artic schedules, they are given more time than 40 ft buses. The 96 is a disaster, 20-30 minute headways are common on specific 96A or 96B branches. The 165A is better than the 96.

MtD seem to do a better job in line management with a noticeable exception of the 41. The 32 has gap buses that fills in the central portion but the 32A branch could see 15 minute gaps past Jane. The 52 is a disaster in PM rush but with as many as 47 buses, Lawrence West to Weston gets pretty decent services. The 52 is better managed than the 96.

The 29 is never going to get an express unless they actively tow cars on the right lane in rush hour.

Hell yes! 96 and 165 are completely terrible!

I don't know if this would ever happen or work, but what if they got rid of the 165, and instead extended the 89 Weston up to Sheppard, looping via the current 84B routing. They could then extend the 84B Sheppard to cover the current 165A Weston Road North routing north of Sheppard to Steeles. As for the 165C/D/F, they could create branches 84A Sheppard West (Sheppard Yonge Stn - Major MacKenzie / Highway 400), 84F (Sheppard Yonge Stn - Canada Drive) and 84G (Sheppard Yonge Stn - Canada's Wonderland) to replace them. Doing this would allow them to increase the frequency on the 96A/D and the 96B to provide more frequency service west of Weston Road. Does anyone think this could work, or would it be too much of an inconvienence for people living on Weston between Albion and Sheppard?

The 165 won't disappear yet. It doesn't matter what happens north of Steeles. Once the Spadina subway extension opens, YRT takes over operation. The 165A will be the only branch left.

Once the Eglinton LRT opens, the 89 can have 3 branches, 89A Keele Stn to Albion, 89B Keele Stn to Steeles and 89E My Dennis Stn to Steeles Express.

The 96 would probably gain a short turn branch at Jane again.

Let's hope the 1996 orion v ex cng retires already because those buses are ugly!

I dont care if 37 Islington gets 10 minute and better service but I want that route to be more consistent and reliable especially on the weekend.

One bus comes in 2 minute, and other one comes in like 15minute and the other like 2 again

For weekdays, the service level is very consistent during the daytime, but it is inconsistent during rush hour..

I was expecting better service when the division changed from Arrow to Queensway but things are not getting better

I dont care if 37 Islington gets 10 minute and better service but I want that route to be more consistent and reliable especially on the weekend.

One bus comes in 2 minute, and other one comes in like 15minute and the other like 2 again

For weekdays, the service level is very consistent during the daytime, but it is inconsistent during rush hour..

I was expecting better service when the division changed from Arrow to Queensway but things are not getting better

Many routes all across the city have ridiculous outdated schedules and need to be re-evaluated like they are doing/done on 111/123.

Quick question guys, i'am planning to go to Toronto next week and since hotels are out of my budget downtown, i plan to staw a bit off the downtown core and rent a car. It is difficult to get park-n-ride space at Downsview or Wilson ?

If it's a weekday...quite difficult after 9am. If it's a weekend, very easy.

If it's a weekday...quite difficult after 9am. If it's a weekend, very easy.

It's been very difficult on a weekday ever since Yorkdale's commuter parking lot was temporarily discontinued. It's set to reopen sometime this fall, but after seeing the progress at Yorkdale today, I seriously doubt it's reopening next week.

Many routes all across the city have ridiculous outdated schedules and need to be re-evaluated like they are doing/done on 111/123.

111, 123 has very strange schedule especially on the weekday.

111 has 12 minute gap all the way from the morning until like 7-8pm

123 has 10 minute gap from like 6pm to 2pm.. and the gap increases to 12 minute during afternoon rush.

111, 123 has very strange schedule especially on the weekday.

111 has 12 minute gap all the way from the morning until like 7-8pm

123 has 10 minute gap from like 6pm to 2pm.. and the gap increases to 12 minute during afternoon rush.

What makes you think that it's weird?

Dan

Not as weird as 65. 18-minutes during AM peak, but every 9-10 minutes in PM peak and every 15 minutes at 1 in the morning. Sigh ...

<rant>No point taking it when during AM rush, unless you see it there ... as 75 runs every 6 minutes. But then 75 is packed like sardines ... well no wonder if they cut 65 service for rush hour. Meanwhile 75 doesn't even run past 1 AM, let alone every 15 minutes ... and is only every 30 minutes past 10 pm (despite me seeing it at crush load at that time, picking up George Brown students).</rant>

Not as weird as 65. 18-minutes during AM peak, but every 9-10 minutes in PM peak and every 15 minutes at 1 in the morning. Sigh ...

It seems they were so busy on mentioning all the new service increases. So much so that hey forgot to mention that they were increasing the headway during the AM rush and midday from 16 to 18 minutes.

IMO, they should have tacked on a third bus and made the service every 12 minutes. 18 minute frequency in the AM rush and midday for a route that's going to get 10 minute all day, everyday service is ridiculous.

It seems they were so busy on mentioning all the new service increases. So much so that hey forgot to mention that they were increasing the headway during the AM rush and midday from 16 to 18 minutes.

They announced that - I remember seeing it.

See http://web.archive.org/web/20140503121631/http://ttc.ca/Routes/65/Northbound.jsp and http://www.ttc.ca/News/2014/May/0508_may_board.jsp

Now, calling it a service improvement was rather disingenuous. As I noted at the time:

https://twitter.com/nfitz1/status/464468807072092162