Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

There's too much logic in that idea, so it will not happen.

Nevermind "logic", as you seem to deem it....do you have any idea what it would cost to install a wi-fi (or at least some sort of wireless transmission) system in each bus, not to mention a matching broadcast system in each division? The cost is not inconsequential.

Dan

TTC doesn't update the sign that often. Its a waste of money.

TTC doesn't update the sign that often. Its a waste of money.

It would be easier to use an existing cellular network, since that way you dont need to build you own network.

Something as simple as a tablet type of device with Sim cards connected to it's own application would make sense. You're looking at a few hundred million dollars for a project like that.

How feasible would it be to have a system that updates the signs via WiFi? I.E. each division would have its own network where the updated sign programs are uploaded the day that they are required, and would automatically download onto every connected bus? Could eliminate a lot of confusion.

Or you could just add something like a USB thumb drive to the keys for every bus.

WiFi isn't the most reliable technology around. Sometimes they refuse to connect. Someone still has to verify that all the signs have been programmed correctly. i.e. not corrupted or failed. It really doesn't make sense to install WiFi on every bus and have another thing to worry about besides the million of other issue they have.

I was driving bus 8100 a few days ago and I looked up and noticed a screen that was for emergency messaging. Anyone have any idea what the intended use was for?

"Emergency Call 911"? That is caused by loose connection in the wiring of the sign. It's a standard Luminator option which the TTC doesn't use and should be disabled.

I was driving bus 8100 a few days ago and I looked up and noticed a screen that was for emergency messaging. Anyone have any idea what the intended use was for?

Not to be insulting but... shouldn't you know that? I mean, you work for the TTC, right?

Looks like they're moving the 510 shuttle bus to MTD next board.

Wilson is schedule for 47 artics in PM rush. I guess some artics will have to move there.

On the 52 Lawrence West, in PM rush, majority of the buses will move from the 52G to the 52A/B. This will fix up large gaps on Dixon and Lawrence between the two stations. The Westway will suffer with 20-30 minute gaps now considering how service is on Lawrence. I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but the run time on the 52B is changed from 190 to 154 minutes means trouble.

http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service_Summary_2014_0_22.pdf

So it seems as though the TTC has incorrectly programmed the new signage for 38. They programmed 38B as the Rouge Hill GO Station branch when it should have been for the U of T Scarborough branch (with the Rouge Hill branch becoming 38A next year). Both the service summary and the notice on the TTC website show 38B as the U of T Scarborough branch.

Looks like they're moving the 510 shuttle bus to MTD next board.

Wilson is schedule for 47 artics in PM rush. I guess some artics will have to move there.

On the 52 Lawrence West, in PM rush, majority of the buses will move from the 52G to the 52A/B. This will fix up large gaps on Dixon and Lawrence between the two stations. The Westway will suffer with 20-30 minute gaps now considering how service is on Lawrence. I'm not sure if it's a mistake, but the run time on the 52B is changed from 190 to 154 minutes means trouble.

http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service_Summary_2014_0_22.pdf

What justifies a loss of 36 mins. to and from Westwwood?

What justifies a loss of 36 mins. to and from Westwwood?

It's actually a mistake. The 156min + 19.5min gives ~176min. The 52B previously had 175min+15min terminal time. Considering how bad traffic is, all of those extra time are used up. Now, there's no terminal time. Oh well, we'll see what happens now in PM rush. Probably huge gaps of the Westway, all the buses bunched on Dixon and a huge gap near Lawrence West Stn.

It's actually a mistake. The 156min + 19.5min gives ~176min. The 52B previously had 175min+15min terminal time. Considering how bad traffic is, all of those extra time are used up. Now, there's no terminal time. Oh well, we'll see what happens now in PM rush. Probably huge gaps of the Westway, all the buses bunched on Dixon and a huge gap near Lawrence West Stn.

No prob. Westway branch is quiet compared 52s getting killed on Dixon during pm rush.

10 crews on 510 moved to MT. Dennis.

Lol, it's not a strobe light, it's a microwave transmitter for CIS.

you mean WAS. GPS has made them redundant. Notice the new artics, and I believe the 8300s don't have them.

74xxs, etc may have had 'em removed in refurb, I'm not sure.

Its been up for awhile now. Old Mill Station has this new silver sign for the station name on both sides of the subway platforms.

There suppose to be art pieces. If I saw correctly from the train, they have small explainer plaques below them.