Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Not everyone has a Costco membership. Even so, it does take a while to walk there and back from the station.

This is very off topic, but anyone can get food from the Costco restaurant. You also don't need a membership for the pharmacy.

This is very off topic, but anyone can get food from the Costco restaurant. You also don't need a membership for the pharmacy.

Nope, you have to be a member or they'll detain you and put you on the shelf with the oversized mayonnaise tubs.

Nope, you have to be a member or they'll detain you and put you on the shelf with the oversized mayonnaise tubs.

Its not that far. When I went to Wilson for training, the entire training group went to Costco. Some of us drove because we were lazy :P. No you don't need a membership to get a hot dog. I didn't have it and had no problem getting food.

Thanks! I started riding Queensway divison routes in 2006. I always liked D901s, but was no fan of the D40s. Some of them would shake your brain out while idling if you sat at the back.

Interesting that the ALRVs were so close (yet so far) from the A/C era.

I've been thinking about what I said about the Flyers at Queensway and it occurred to me they also had the 67xx series Orion Vs back then so it wasn't a 100% Flyer after all (prior to the 80xx arrival as per your original question). I can't remember the exact time frame of when the 67xx went to Queensway from Bmount but I know they stayed there till MtD opened and was transferred to MtD to retire. I can't remember if they arrived before or after the D40LF got transferred there either. Seeing as how MtD opened in 2008 and the 80xx moved there from Wilson, it means the only time when Queensway might've been 100% would've been right before the 6700s arrived there. I'm sure some of the veteran members here can answer this.

A curious question from me surfaced when I was typing this; what was the last non Flyer model to be stationed at Queensway prior to the 6700s' arrival and what year was that?

Finally they'll extend the 172 to Carlaw so people won't wait in the middle of nowhere to transfer to the 72.

The 504/505 shuttle is Birchmount. MTD, Wilson and Eglinton will do the 510. No Arrow this time.

The 53E/F is finally scheduled with artics. Bye Bye to the Orion Vs on Steeles Express! (well somehow an Orion will find its way on the route).

They didn't loose as many runs as I thought they will, AM rush looses 3 buses and PM rush looses 5 buses. Not 6 buses on both periods. The replacement ratios are 1.17 and 1.31, unlike the 7 Bathurst, which was 1.46 (AM) and 1.37 (PM). Clearly they are treating Steeles East customers better.

http://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Transit_Planning/Service_Summary_2014_07_20.pdf

Finally they'll extend the 172 to Carlaw so people won't wait in the middle of nowhere to transfer to the 72.

Hmm, Carlaw and where? Carlaw and Commissioners seems more middle-of-nowhere than Cherry and Commissioners. At least at Cherry your standing right next to a restaurant, and are close to the T&T supermarket.

Hmm, Carlaw and where? Carlaw and Commissioners seems more middle-of-nowhere than Cherry and Commissioners. At least at Cherry your standing right next to a restaurant, and are close to the T&T supermarket.

Probably the old 72 (now 72A) loop routing with Eastern/Pape/Queen. Additional trip time has been added to the route with the headway widen by a couple of minutes to include this extension. The 72C will continue to operate to Cherry and Commissioners forming an overlapping route. It only make sense if it reaches the 501. You can still transfer at Commissioners and Cherry.

This will also double the service to Cherry beach as each round trip will visit Cherry beach twice.

I'm pretty sure some GMs were around before Lansdowne closed in 1996. For sure until 1993 the GMs were at Queensway, But between 1993 and 1996 I'm not 100%.

The 7300s moved to Queensway in 2004, the Orion Vs moved to Queensway in 2006iirc

I started riding 123 and 110 in early 2006. I don't recall riding any Orions--I was actually startled at riding an Orion V on Steeles East a few years later, because it was a bus I was quite unfamiliar with. Well, actually I remember being amazed by the acceleration of the 6600 Vs when they first came into service--I think I rode them on 97 a few times, but then I didn't ride them for years and years, until getting a few rides on 6734 when it was the last one running.

Well, I also do remember 110 being advertised as "now fully accessible" some time--a quick search shows June 2009--but the non-accessible buses I remember on 110 were D40s. I have no idea what buses I rode on 123. :rolleyes:

Probably the old 72 (now 72A) loop routing with Eastern/Pape/Queen. Additional trip time has been added to the route with the headway widen by a couple of minutes to include this extension. The 72C will continue to operate to Cherry and Commissioners forming an overlapping route. It only make sense if it reaches the 501. You can still transfer at Commissioners and Cherry.

This will also double the service to Cherry beach as each round trip will visit Cherry beach twice.

Finally. Even going to Lake Shore Garage, like the Former 121 would have been good.

Or even extended all the way to Woodbine loop. But Woodbine loop doesn't allow for buses to turn back west.

I started riding 123 and 110 in early 2006. I don't recall riding any Orions--I was actually startled at riding an Orion V on Steeles East a few years later, because it was a bus I was quite unfamiliar with. Well, actually I remember being amazed by the acceleration of the 6600 Vs when they first came into service--I think I rode them on 97 a few times, but then I didn't ride them for years and years, until getting a few rides on 6734 when it was the last one running.

Well, I also do remember 110 being advertised as "now fully accessible" some time--a quick search shows June 2009--but the non-accessible buses I remember on 110 were D40s. I have no idea what buses I rode on 123. :rolleyes:

Which Orion V on Steeles East, the 6700s? I don't remember if the 1991 Orion V was still at Malvern in the new livery, anyone know about that?

The Orion V went back to Queensway in 2006. 2007 the latest but I'm positive it was 2006.

Some of the Classic's entered service at Queensway in 1987.

Which would have been the 6230s.

Which Orion V on Steeles East, the 6700s? I don't remember if the 1991 Orion V was still at Malvern in the new livery, anyone know about that?

No, would have been the 7000s I'd assume, would have been around 2007 or so. Granted the 6600s were different from the 7000s, but the first thing that blew my mind on the Steeles East bus was the solid divider with window that separated the front stairwell from the longitudinal seat over the RF wheelwell. That was the same on the 6600s if I recall correctly.

All 4 series of Orion Vs in the TTC have that divider. The 9370s have the brown wooden trim divider (or was it tanned?) while the other 3 models have the red divider IIRC between the front door and the seats over the front wheel (it is red facing front and black facing rear).

I'm pretty sure some GMs were around before Lansdowne closed in 1996. For sure until 1993 the GMs were at Queensway, But between 1993 and 1996 I'm not 100%.

The 7300s moved to Queensway in 2004, the Orion Vs moved to Queensway in 2006iirc

They were probably transferred mid-to-late 2006, as they were still running out of Birchmount with the Classics in late May '06:

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=File:Toronto_Transit_Commission_6658-a.jpg

The Wiki also states a few units were sent from Queensway back to Birchmount to replace retired Classics, prior to all of them remaining going to Mount Dennis. I'm sure there's mention of exactly when everything happened in an old thread on here.

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Toronto_Transit_Commission_6640-6745

Interesting about Queensway. I don't think any other division has had a roster of nothing but "minority" buses in the recent past. It was pretty easy to be all-GM up to 1981 when the 8300 Flyers and handful of Orion Is were delivered. Likewise, until recently with the delivery of Nova buses, it was pretty easy to be all-Orion (since all Flyers were at Queensway and RTS were all at Wilson....that leaves only Orion for other divisions, unless I am forgetting something that should be obvious).

When 8039 just returned to service, the number above the driver's window was still blacked out, so I guess 8039 had been retired earlier.

Only those three elderly relics, which were probably sent there to plug a shortage after the 7900 Flyers were retired.

Which would have been the 6230s.

6220's were also at Queensway.

All 4 series of Orion Vs in the TTC have that divider. The 9370s have the brown wooden trim divider (or was it tanned?) while the other 3 models have the red divider IIRC between the front door and the seats over the front wheel (it is red facing front and black facing rear).

Iirc the 9300s had tanned metal dividers.

A question for those of you more familiar with TTC operations: what are the crewing arrangements for 510 Spadina this week?

The July board period does not start until Sunday, but the route has already been converted to buses. According to Nextbus, there appears to be buses from all seven divisons in service as I am typing this.

How are the crews selected (overtime, spareboard, a combination of the two) and what do the shifts look like? Is there a set number of buses that are scheduled to operate at certain times of the day or is the schedule being managed on a more ad-hoc basis?

A question for those of you more familiar with TTC operations: what are the crewing arrangements for 510 Spadina this week?

The July board period does not start until Sunday, but the route has already been converted to buses. According to Nextbus, there appears to be buses from all seven divisons in service as I am typing this.

How are the crews selected (overtime, spareboard, a combination of the two) and what do the shifts look like? Is there a set number of buses that are scheduled to operate at certain times of the day or is the schedule being managed on a more ad-hoc basis?

Construction started this week on the Spadina/Dundas intersection, and it is impassable for streetcars, therefore the need to replace service with buses. Similar to a weekend subway closure, this is probably being staffed by spareboard and overtime drivers.

yes there is a set of buses alloted to the shuttle.