Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I've noticed that the vehicle allocations have changed a lot in my area. It was RARE to see a non-fishbowl on #26. Now it seems they're totally Orion-somethings.

Now on #6 I have seen (what i perceive to be new) buses; they indicate that they are electrically powered (though not exclusively, I think) the seating arrangement at the back is also "new" ... are these the 'new order buses?

What does everyone think of them (and please PLEASE someone post the names/ picture) of the buses i'm talking about ('cos i don't know their names)

The one that used to be on #6 Bay:

bus6ub2.jpg

The one that used to be on #26 Dupont:

bus26qh1.jpg

26 is run out of Queensway Division, and is a LF accessible route. Therefore, all buses on the route *should* be Low Floor vehicles, of which Queensway has 2 types. 73xx are New Flyer D40LFs (green destination sign), while 80xx are Orion VIIs (orange signs). (Yes I know other board members will harass me since 7350 has an 'orange' screen, but it's one of 51 D40LFs plus it doesn't even function properly).

6 is run out of Wilson Division, and is not accessible. Any of Wilson's 4 types of buses will show up, the GM New Looks from your first picture (2xxx), lift-equipped Orion Vs (94xx), diesel Orion VIIs (80xx) and diesel-electric Orion VII NGs (14xx and 15xx).

Your second picture (7860) is the same model as you find on 6, but Wilson has none from that specific order. You'll find 80xx series on it instead. Not much external difference excluding an accessibility sticker and fleet #, but different engine components.

Click on any of the underlined parts above and that'll bring you to a picture of the model from my gallery (permission granted therefore).

6 is run out of Wilson Division, and is not accessible. Any of Wilson's 4 types of buses will show up, the GM New Looks from your first picture (2xxx), lift-equipped Orion Vs (94xx), diesel Orion VIIs (80xx) and diesel-electric Orion VII NGs (14xx and 15xx).

Let's not forget 1392, the lone 13XX at Wilson and also the 7900s, which are Orion diesel VIIs as well.

Your second picture (7860) is the same model as you find on 6, but Wilson has none from that specific order. You'll find 80xx series on it instead. Not much external difference excluding an accessibility sticker and fleet #, but different engine components.

Most of the 7900s, 8000s and all the Orion NG VIIs have bike racks as well.

I was on 1393 tonight at Finch Station, and the driver had stepped out of the bus for a bit, and all of a sudden the bus's horn went off, constantly, until the bus driver got back in, and shut the bus off. Is this a common problem with the Orion VII's, and what was the cause of that?

Thanks for any clarification.

Jeff

Also, if the bus driver is a member of this board, I congratulate you on your service, it was great. It was bus 1393 Route 60D at 5:00. You were one of the few cheerful bus drivers that I have seen on the TTC.

I was on 1393 tonight at Finch Station, and the driver had stepped out of the bus for a bit, and all of a sudden the bus's horn went off, constantly, until the bus driver got back in, and shut the bus off. Is this a common problem with the Orion VII's, and what was the cause of that?

Thanks for any clarification.

Jeff

Also, if the bus driver is a member of this board, I congratulate you on your service, it was great. It was bus 1393 Route 60D at 5:00. You were one of the few cheerful bus drivers that I have seen on the TTC.

That more than likely was the driver's alarm going off inadvertently.

That more than likely was the driver's alarm going off inadvertently.

Not inadvertently...

All newer buses are equipped such that pulling the request cord while the driver is not in the seat will activate the emergency alarm. The ways around this are to manually override the alarm (although the driver will now have to deal with a flashing light on his/her dash until the override is disabled) or to just shut off the bus, like what this driver did.

Dan

Not inadvertently...

All newer buses are equipped such that pulling the request cord while the driver is not in the seat will activate the emergency alarm. The ways around this are to manually override the alarm (although the driver will now have to deal with a flashing light on his/her dash until the override is disabled) or to just shut off the bus, like what this driver did.

Dan

Thank you for the clarification

Not inadvertently...

Dan

all buses in the fleet have that feature, even the GMs

I remember back around 1985/86 my cousin used to take on his late night route out of Birchmount when I was a child left the bus for a minute to bring us both a hot chocolate at a corner Beckers. While waiting finding myself restless I pulled the cord and of course the horn went off, and he came sprinting back to the bus. I found out very early about that feature. What about the rear door alarm when someone leans on the door and that bell sounds. Is that a TTC feature or did all GM New Looks feature this?

What about the rear door alarm when someone leans on the door and that bell sounds. Is that a TTC feature or did all GM New Looks feature this?

I believe that is pretty much standard on all buses. At the very least, all of ETS's buses have it.

Thanks a bunch, sorry for the confusion (as I definitely don't have the bus vernacular sorted out yet)

It was definitely the Orion VII NGs (14xx and 15xx) that I was asking about (in terms of their being "new."

I guess I define new as "I haven't seen them" :$

Thanks again

Regarding paying an extra fare north of Steeles, am I correct in assuming the 53 bus doesn't charge an extra fare on the leg of the route that travels along Elson St. in Markham? Technically it is travelling north of Steeles, but it doesn't display the notice on the desto "Extra fare required north of Steeles Ave". Does YRT contract this portion of the route from the TTC or is it simply a convenience factor to get (more) riders closer to their destination?

Regarding paying an extra fare north of Steeles, am I correct in assuming the 53 bus doesn't charge an extra fare on the leg of the route that travels along Elson St. in Markham? Technically it is travelling north of Steeles, but it doesn't display the notice on the desto "Extra fare required north of Steeles Ave". Does YRT contract this portion of the route from the TTC or is it simply a convenience factor to get (more) riders closer to their destination?

No extra fare is charged for the 53 in that portion.

Interesting...were they delivered with the alarm, or is this something that was retrofitted into them (perhaps when the seats were)?

Thanks,

Dan

the driver's alaram was factory installed as it is covered in the original GM maintenance manual, uses the original distinctive fibre insulated wiring too.

A friend of mine lives near Elson south of Denison in Markham, he said his property tax reflects the TTC 53E service. However on the north side of Denison the property tax is realtively lower, probably the city of Markham assumes people on the north side of Denison do not take the TTC 53E.

No extra fare is charged for the 53 in that portion.

A friend of mine lives near Elson south of Denison in Markham, he said his property tax reflects the TTC 53E service. However on the north side of Denison the property tax is realtively lower, probably the city of Markham assumes people on the north side of Denison do not take the TTC 53E.

;)

When a bus finishes its final run, and is destined for a garage along a bus route, why does it go Out of Service as opposed to operating as a short turn up until the garage? I always see crowds of out of service buses running east along Eglinton after the AM peak. These buses, or some of them could be run in service to reduce crowding and improve service. This may not improve the overall quality of service along that street greatly, but in cases like 51 LESLIE, where the last southbound run goes before the last northbound run, that NB run could run SB in service as a short turn to Eglinton and provide ppl with later service, instead of running south along Leslie not in service. However, riding the 36 westbound at the end of rush hour, I noticed many runs operating from Finch station as short turns to either Arrow Rd or Weston. I assume they're going to Arrow garage. Can anyone clarify how often the TTC practices this and why they don't practice it more to their advantage?

When a bus finishes its final run, and is destined for a garage along a bus route, why does it go Out of Service as opposed to operating as a short turn up until the garage? I always see crowds of out of service buses running east along Eglinton after the AM peak. These buses, or some of them could be run in service to reduce crowding and improve service. This may not improve the overall quality of service along that street greatly, but in cases like 51 LESLIE, where the last southbound run goes before the last northbound run, that NB run could run SB in service as a short turn to Eglinton and provide ppl with later service, instead of running south along Leslie not in service. However, riding the 36 westbound at the end of rush hour, I noticed many runs operating from Finch station as short turns to either Arrow Rd or Weston. I assume they're going to Arrow garage. Can anyone clarify how often the TTC practices this and why they don't practice it more to their advantage?

It's a cost saving maneuver. If crews were to stay in service until they were closer to the garage, it would take them longer to get there, costing more money in salaries.

As it is, some bus routes do run in service to the garage - Jane, Finch West and Ellesmere are but three that I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure that severalw of the Eglinton East buses do run as short turns at the end of their shifts in the morning.

Dan

It's a cost saving maneuver. If crews were to stay in service until they were closer to the garage, it would take them longer to get there, costing more money in salaries.

As it is, some bus routes do run in service to the garage - Jane, Finch West and Ellesmere are but three that I can think of off the top of my head, and I'm pretty sure that severalw of the Eglinton East buses do run as short turns at the end of their shifts in the morning.

There are short turns at the end of rush hours on 60 (to Signet/Weston), 53 (To Neilson).

I've noticed that there are some buses on 29 in PM rush that start at Exhibition Loop instead of Wilson? Why don't they start at Wilson Station instead, wouldn't it save them money instead of making them deadhead down the whole route?

There are short turns at the end of rush hours on 60 (to Signet/Weston), 53 (To Neilson).

95 in AM Rush has programmed 95S to Markham Rd so it'll done on a fairly regular basis enough to warrent its own destination code.

Is it true some Wilson buses get parked at Hillcrest in the midday? it may explain why some PM runs on Dufferen start at the EX.

The ones I'm talking about deadhead from Wilson Garage. I've never heard of Wilson buses being parked at Hillcrest during Midday.