CLRV4037

Streetcar News

Did anyone see or hear about PCC 4500 yesterday (Sunday)? It tracked active during the afternoon (of course with the default coordinates in the lake cause it doesn't have a GPS) and is a good indication it was powered up. They were suppose to start the PCC season this long weekend. It was active during the Beach Parade too. I don't think they'll send it out on the road during the rain through.

3 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Did anyone see or hear about PCC 4500 yesterday (Sunday)? It tracked active during the afternoon (of course with the default coordinates in the lake cause it doesn't have a GPS) and is a good indication it was powered up. They were suppose to start the PCC season this long weekend. It was active during the Beach Parade too. I don't think they'll send it out on the road during the rain through.

It was on the road Sunday as CTV was showing it on the news. Why wouldn't it be out in the rain??

4 hours ago, drum118 said:

It was on the road Sunday as CTV was showing it on the news. Why wouldn't it be out in the rain??

Have you been in a CLRV in the rain lately? Don't sit near the windows ...

5 hours ago, drum118 said:

Water makes iron rust. Considering the scarce parts the PCC needs, TTC would like to avoid taking it out in the rain. In the past I do believe TTC avoids bring out the PCC in the rain. I have forgotten the details, someone can fill me in here.

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Water makes iron rust. Considering the scarce parts the PCC needs, TTC would like to avoid taking it out in the rain. In the past I do believe TTC avoids bring out the PCC in the rain. I have forgotten the details, someone can fill me in here.

I've run the car in the rain multiple times.

18 hours ago, nfitz said:

Have you been in a CLRV in the rain lately? Don't sit near the windows ...

The ALRVs were way worse than CLRVs. Hopefully the overhaul fixes them.

That being said, I don't recall roof leak issues with PCCs. The ALRVs were leaking around the window frames, which is something that simply can't happen with PCCs (unless I guess the standee seals are gone.

18 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Sitting in the yard, not moving, probably rusts them just as quickly. At least when they're run there's a chance for heat to drive off moisture.

Am I correct that 511 BATHURST is mostly 4400's on weekends?  Also noticed that 4435 was working this weekend.

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Am I correct that 511 BATHURST is mostly 4400's on weekends?  Also noticed that 4435 was working this weekend.

We do know that TTC is delaying the rollout of Flexitys on 511 until 2018. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/New_Vehicles/New_Streetcars/index.jsp

But considering the start of the summer and increased ridership during that period, they are probably just temporary deploying the accessible vehicles on the route. At least we would not expect replacement of older cars until next year and the 512 is largely (if not fully) converted.

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

That what they did with all the spares. The 511 is scheduled ALRV or Flexity if available. They stop appearing on the 504 for a while now. They have 9 spares on Sunday/holidays now.

6 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Saw an in-service Flexity WB College and Huron around 3:10 PM today. 

Did it turn onto Spadina?

3 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Did it turn onto Spadina?

That I don't know as I didn't stick around. It was definitely signed 50[someithing], though I couldn't quite make it out from a distance.

6 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

That I don't know as I didn't stick around. It was definitely signed 50[someithing], though I couldn't quite make it out from a distance.

It's possible a Flexity would deadhead to Spadina via College while picking up people... But I've never seen one doing it in person.

Has anyone else seen one deadhead through using this way? 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Did anyone see or hear about PCC 4500 yesterday (Sunday)?

It was in service on 509 on both Sunday and Monday (Victoria Day).

5 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It's possible a Flexity would deadhead to Spadina via College while picking up people... But I've never seen one doing it in person.

Has anyone else seen one deadhead through using this way? 

It's possible. 510 "deadheads" from Russell (now Leslie) have used College before, but it's quite rare -only if closer routes ie; King, Queen, Dundas are all blocked.

18 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Saw an in-service Flexity WB College and Huron around 3:10 PM today. 

4436 doing its burn-in testing? They often "sign in" the new cars on 506 while testing, but they are not actually in service.

4 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

4436 doing its burn-in testing? They often "sign in" the new cars on 506 while testing, but they are not actually in service.

But I've never seen one doing it during the beginning of rush hour... Unless @63 Ossington has seen people on board the car. Did you catch the #?

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

But I've never seen one doing it during the beginning of rush hour... Unless @63 Ossington has seen people on board.

I did not notice as I was too far away, and only saw it from the back. Do those burn-in sessions have the destination sign set as a 506 sign?

4 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

But I've never seen one doing it during the beginning of rush hour.

"Burn-in" testing takes place at all times, including rush-hour.

1 minute ago, 63 Ossington said:

I did not notice as I was too far away, and only saw it from the back. Do those burn-in sessions have the destination sign set as a 506 sign?

Yes, they do. Then it was probably 4436 burning in.

But one quick question, does the burn-in streetcars get a TRUMP unit before tests?

2 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Do those burn-in sessions have the destination sign set as a 506 sign?

Yes! I've even seen people trying to board when the car happens to be stopped at traffic lights.

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

But one quick question, does the burn-in streetcars get a TRUMP unit before tests?

Of course. Whether it is "active", thus making the car "trackable" on nextbus is a separate issue.

2 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Yes! I've even seen people trying to board when the car happens to be stopped at traffic lights.

Of course. Whether it is "active", thus making the car "trackable" on nextbus is a separate issue.

I tried Sammdot, but it didn't pick up 4436. So I guess the TRUMP unit is turned off now.

Come to think of it, there were no change-offs at all on 510 today, so it couldn't have been a 510 car being added to service at that time of the day.

The PM peak trippers for 509 & 514 have entered service via King, as they normally do, so that possibility is out. The morning training had completed by 2 PM or so, and the cars used for training were already back at Leslie. Therefore by elimination, it must have been 4436 that you guys saw.

49 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

It was in service on 509 on both Sunday and Monday (Victoria Day).

It was actually signed on 509 on Monday. So nextbus can be used to determine if it's in service or not but we will not know the location.