YRT Retirements

** UPDATE ON THE FIRST STUDENT ORION I's **

Stopped by First Student after work today.

2021 appears to be retired, as its parked in the very far back of the lot with 7526. I cannot confirm this 100%, as there are too many obstacles in the way to see if it still has its plates/farebox, etc. I'll wait for confirmation from someone else before I say its officially retired.

8602, 8801, 9001, and 9002 should still be active, as they are parked with the active buses. From a pic that I have, 9001 has a black licence plate sticker, which should be the one that expires in December 2009.

See the following photograph for the relative locations of these buses in the yard (my apologies for the relatively large file):

first_student_yard.JPG

All D40s are retired. 2051 is the only active Classic.

That's what I said in the text message I sent you earlier today. The ex-charter bus now holds the same status as the STM's 60-013 once held - the only active 1990 MCI Classic in the fleet. Shame about the rest of them, though. They all looked in pretty good shape, for the most part. YRT's policy, so I was told, is that all buses have a lifespan of 12 years now. The fact that the D40s and some of the Classics were able to reach their 20th birthdays is a testament to how solid these buses truly were.

You sure? What about 2048, 2049, and 2052?

2051 was on the 40/202 today.

BUT...

It got replaced by 405 in the 202 portion of the run.

2048 & 2052 were all parked in the deadline facing Woodbine. 2049 was parked behind the other buses. I was told by the operations supervisor who gave me the tour that 2051 was the only remaining Classic in service. Here is the complete list of what I saw parked in the deadline, from right to left:

8917, 8919, 2050, 8912, 8922, 8914, 2052, 2048, 8923, 2046, 8924, 8918.

2049 was parked behind these buses.

Here is the complete list of what I saw parked in the deadline, from right to left:

8917, 8919, 2050, 8912, 8922, 8914, 2052, 2048, 8923, 2046, 8924, 8918.

2049 was parked behind these buses.

Looks like they've done some deadline clearing since the charter visit... 2035, 2036 ;), 2044, 2045, 2047, 8921 are missing.

** UPDATE ON THE FIRST STUDENT ORION I's **

Stopped by First Student after work today.

2021 appears to be retired, as its parked in the very far back of the lot with 7526. I cannot confirm this 100%, as there are too many obstacles in the way to see if it still has its plates/farebox, etc. I'll wait for confirmation from someone else before I say its officially retired.

8602, 8801, 9001, and 9002 should still be active, as they are parked with the active buses. From a pic that I have, 9001 has a black licence plate sticker, which should be the one that expires in December 2009.

See the following photograph for the relative locations of these buses in the yard (my apologies for the relatively large file):

first_student_yard.JPG

Looks retired to me as it has now obtained the red "do not drive" cover over the steering wheel.

Looks retired to me as it has now obtained the red "do not drive" cover over the steering wheel.

Yep, definitely. That seems to be First Student's 'retiree' area (as they aren't easy to drive out as well, since they appear to be blocked by the 40 foot line), and that's where they have/had 7526 and 9701 (when it was out of service). 7526 just seems to be floating around now. ;)

Yep, definitely. That seems to be First Student's 'retiree' area (as they aren't easy to drive out as well, since they appear to be blocked by the 40 foot line), and that's where they have/had 7526 and 9701 (when it was out of service). 7526 just seems to be floating around now. ;)

"Dear YRT, you should keep 7526 as a parts unit for your 2006. kthxbai"

Also, I've heard YRT is to move 2006 to Miller. Where will they put it since there's no practically no room? Where they're storing the retired buses?
I can't wait to see 2006 at Miller Yard. I hope they will paint that bus into its original Markham Transit livery.

Got news for you guys.... 2006 is in Newmarket, at Veiolia!! saw it this morning....keeping warm inside the shops.....

Hasn't it been there for a few months now? Maybe you could ask someone there what they plan to do with it...:lol:

well... Ive only been working out of BRT1 for a week, and thats the first ive seen it.... Its still in YRT livery... they also ran it through the wash and it looks really clean.... there are no plans for the bus right now (as so I was told by the head mechanic....)

well... Ive only been working out of BRT1 for a week, and thats the first ive seen it.... Its still in YRT livery... they also ran it through the wash and it looks really clean.... there are no plans for the bus right now (as so I was told by the head mechanic....)

If so, probably just keeping her in storage until plans for refurbishment/relivery/etc. Could also be pending funding?

Then there's the mystery as to why 7526 is being kept...unless they plan on using 7526 as a parts bus for 2006.

Where can I see this? Sorry not familliar with YRT's facilities.

Where can I see this? Sorry not familliar with YRT's facilities.

Should be at Veolia's Newmarket division (at least that's where it was spotted last), which is around Aspenwood and Yonge (just north of Davis Drive). It's right beside the GO garage.

It's not easy to get shots... you need to cross a parking lot on the south side and peer through a chain link fence, or else walk down the (private) driveway leading to both garages.