MiWay

Orion VIII

Saw a MiExpress 1303 XD40 en route delivering to the garage earlier today! It does have a rear window and it was on a tractor trailer flatbed! It doesn't have a BRT roofline.

Didn't know they were getting express buses this year. Those will look hot!

• 3 weeks later...

Saw 0870 (?) on the 19 today around 2.50 at Mineola. Bit of an odd sight no? Especially for a weekday?

0873 was also on the 19 on Tuesday, it could be because Port Credit lets out at 2:45 and crushloads quite a few buses, even with the 319s helping out. The Queen Elizabeth crowds at South Service don't help things out either.

Does anyone know why the 5 Dixie have "articulated buses?" Every time I go by "Long Branch" which is the streetcar loop for the TTC and terminus for both TTC and MiWay Transit routes, the Route 5 North is an articulated bus.

Even the 26 Burnhamthrope is "articulated" too for every bus. But, I guess I must have went at the "wrong time" to know the reasons why because the last time I took it, there was only a few people from the subway station to Square One where I got off.

I can understand why 110 University Express is so busy. Because when I took it, there was around 50 people, but mostly students getting off at the University of Toronto Mississauga campus. That is also why there is the 110 University Express towards University of Toronto instead of the normal terminus point of Clarkson Go Station.

Does anyone know why the 5 Dixie have "articulated buses?" Every time I go by "Long Branch" which is the streetcar loop for the TTC and terminus for both TTC and MiWay Transit routes, the Route 5 North is an articulated bus.

Even the 26 Burnhamthrope is "articulated" too for every bus. But, I guess I must have went at the "wrong time" to know the reasons why because the last time I took it, there was only a few people from the subway station to Square One where I got off.

I can understand why 110 University Express is so busy. Because when I took it, there was around 50 people, but mostly students getting off at the University of Toronto Mississauga campus. That is also why there is the 110 University Express towards University of Toronto instead of the normal terminus point of Clarkson Go Station.

Even with articulated buses, the 5 Dixie runs a pretty frequent (for a suburban agency) 9 minute service during rush hours. Assuming an articulated bus has 1.5 times the capacity of a standard 40ft bus, that would mean Dixie would require 6 minute rush hour service if using 40fts.

As for the 26 Burnhamthorpe, it has articulated buses because of an agreement/understanding between the City of Toronto and Mississauga to limit the number of buses driving along Burnhamthorpe Road inside the City of Toronto limits, due to residents protesting back in the early 2000s (the "Battle of Burnhamthorpe"). Back in that time, most of the Mississauga Transit buses serving Islington used Burnhamthorpe instead of the current routing via Dundas, as it was quicker to access from the 427. There were many more Mississauga Transit uses running express along Burnhamthorpe than local TTC buses on the still-low-frequency-today 50, and residents got fed up with many buses speeding past at high speed. Today they're limited to a certain number of buses an hour (I don't remember the exact number, but it's somewhere around 10 and 14 IIRC), which is why service on 26 Burnhamthorpe is run by articulated buses (they can carry more passengers per hour) and during rush hours there's the overlay route 76 which bypasses Burnhamthorpe Avenue in Toronto but follows the same routing to Square One as the 26 does in Mississauga.

You see 5 Dixie at Long Branch, but the vast majority of its ridership is between Dundas and Eglinton. The busiest stops are at Dundas, Bloor, Burnhamthorpe, and Eglinton. Long Branch is but a minor stop for route 5.

Likewise, 26 Burnhamthorpe is busiest between Sq One and Dixie. I'm not sure why you saw so few riders. Maybe it would help to know the time you took it.

In terms of ridership, 5 Dixie and 26 Burnhamthorpe are actually the 3rd and 4th busiest bus routes in Mississauga, respectively, and therefore they are among the top 10 busiest local bus routes in the 905.

Here are busiest routes in the 905 in terms of average weekday boardings, as of 2006:

19 Hurontario - 23,189

Viva Blue - 15,962

1 Dundas - 15,746

26 Burnhamthorpe - 11,860

1 Queen - 9,724

5 Dixie - 8,798

3 Bloor - 8,186

11 Steeles - 7,457

Viva Purple - 7,262

18 Dixie - 4,747

http://www.dmg.utoro...idation2006.pdf

7 has been seeing shorter lineups at Square One. Likely a major shift of ridership to 107.

Seeing that this is the first full academic year for the 107 running to Humber, it also has more riders than the 109, especially at the reverse peak. 109 is much emptier going the opposite direction than the 107. Understandably, it's a route that hits 3 birds with 1 stone after all: Airport, Malton, and Humber.

20 has been getting some articulated buses too, likely from some other routes. The 20 westbound schedule at the digital screen at Square One is still not being displayed, but some people going eastbound are pretty much aware of 20 running along their neighbourhood.

109 at midday seems to be well-used too.

CRAZY pack of riders for the 88's Halloween Haunt trips! Whoever thought of adding trips for the Halloween Haunt should be thanked for this.

There's two artic trips on the 20, one just does a single trip from Islington to Erindale GO and then goes onto the 108 afterwards. Another comes off the 108 and is on the 20 until the end of service. Both in the afternoon.

You see 5 Dixie at Long Branch, but the vast majority of its ridership is between Dundas and Eglinton. The busiest stops are at Dundas, Bloor, Burnhamthorpe, and Eglinton. Long Branch is but a minor stop for route 5.

Likewise, 26 Burnhamthorpe is busiest between Sq One and Dixie. I'm not sure why you saw so few riders. Maybe it would help to know the time you took it.

In terms of ridership, 5 Dixie and 26 Burnhamthorpe are actually the 3rd and 4th busiest bus routes in Mississauga, respectively, and therefore they are among the top 10 busiest local bus routes in the 905.

Here are busiest routes in the 905 in terms of average weekday boardings, as of 2006:

19 Hurontario - 23,189

Viva Blue - 15,962

1 Dundas - 15,746

26 Burnhamthorpe - 11,860

1 Queen - 9,724

5 Dixie - 8,798

3 Bloor - 8,186

11 Steeles - 7,457

Viva Purple - 7,262

18 Dixie - 4,747

http://www.dmg.utoro...idation2006.pdf

Of course I can provide you the time. It was around 11 AM to 11:30 AM. Don't remember the time anymore, but it was around the summer time.

Is it me or I find it strange that Mississauga runs late evening trips after 1 AM with such low numbers? I got a spreadsheet document documenting every trip which I don't know if there is a way to attach it since it is a pretty big file.

7 has been seeing shorter lineups at Square One. Likely a major shift of ridership to 107.

Seeing that this is the first full academic year for the 107 running to Humber, it also has more riders than the 109, especially at the reverse peak. 109 is much emptier going the opposite direction than the 107. Understandably, it's a route that hits 3 birds with 1 stone after all: Airport, Malton, and Humber.

109 at midday seems to be well-used too.

The 109 would also be a major shift in ridership. After a few months I would be interested to see how ridership numbers for the 9, 10, and 34 has changed.

CRAZY pack of riders for the 88's Halloween Haunt trips! Whoever thought of adding trips for the Halloween Haunt should be thanked for this.

Too bad none of the teenagers can use a Presto Card. I was told Presto can not do Destination Specific Fares??? Isn't that what York does with the different zones?

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new 1355 died westbound on Route 1, Dundas at Tomken at 8:30 this morning.

1355 is eastbound on the 26 right now, at Hurontario street.

0156 and 0158 have not been seen in some time, I'm willing to bet those two are the first casualties.

Edit: I took a quick ride on 1355 on the 26. They ride nicely and seem to be as fast as the 08 artics which have the ISM.

1355 is eastbound on the 26 right now, at Hurontario street.

0156 and 0158 have not been seen in some time, I'm willing to bet those two are the first casualties.

Edit: I took a quick ride on 1355 on the 26. They ride nicely and seem to be as fast as the 08 artics which have the ISM.

any pics please?