MiWay

Orion VIII

Perhaps this was discussed before: the lack of a Canada Day promotion this year. They didn't even have an extended schedule on the website for routes departing from Square One after the fireworks.

I've seen a couple of their 2009 NF's with a BRT wrap.

Not on Miway, Celebration Square or the special Canada Day websites. Road closures were listed but nothing from Miway on extended service or detours that I could find.

Not on Miway, Celebration Square or the special Canada Day websites. Road closures were listed but nothing from Miway on extended service or detours that I could find.

There was a notice on the Alert page for a few hours which I was going to post here, but it disappeared before I could copy the details. The details were an additional trip on the 9 MEADOWVALE, 10 BRISTOL and 61 MAVIS after the fireworks wrapped up at 11:10PM or 11:15PM. I was going to comment that hopefully this would be a test for expansion of the New Year's Eve service at least for the 10 and 61 which currently don't see the extended service. It would fill in a large part of the City which currently doesn't get the extended service coverage. The other New Year's Eve routes still have service past 11PM, even with a holiday schedule in effect.

When I was in Mississauga last Tuesday I noticed that some of the XD40s are showing off some grey on the bottom panels. Are the skirt panels made of plastic like the LFS?

1132.jpg1138.jpg1111.jpg

My guess is that those buses are seeing the paint flaking off. I knkow they're only two years old, bu tI think that's what's going on. Did you see any similar grey colours showing up on the 2010 VII BRTs?

It seems the skirts on the 11s had vinyl applied to them as part of the paint scheme. A while ago many orange buses got various sticker ads on the sides, but the ads didn't adhere to the skirts well and ended up taking chunks of vinyl when they started peeling off on their own or eventually removed.

How long before someone points out the mistake with this detour notice:

Detour_11_35_427_Closure.pdf

I was stuck in the chaos at Union Station, how did they deal with the flooding? I saw a MiWay bus in some news footage of the ensuing traffic. With no subway service at Islington or Kipling were they asked by the TTC to provide shuttle service again?

In other news the name "Mississauga Transitway" was Detour_11_35_427_Closure.pdf

The VII BRTs don't have the plastic skirts like the Xcelsiors or D60LFRs have. It is odd that the 11s are already starting to peel.

It seems the skirts on the 11s had vinyl applied to them as part of the paint scheme. A while ago many orange buses got various sticker ads on the sides, but the ads didn't adhere to the skirts well and ended up taking chunks of vinyl when they started peeling off on their own or eventually removed.

Maybe that's why even vinyl ads won't be seen on the 08/09 D40LFRs, 2010 VII HEVs and the 1100 series buses. Maybe they could, or if they're in the process of getting a better form of ads so that they can adhere to the body of the bus regardless if it was the 08/09 with the skirt panelling, the 2010 or 2011 body type.

How long before someone points out the mistake with this detour notice:

427 S/B Notice

I guess the fact that only the 11/11A would be able to exit at Eringate? Access to the Eringate exit is only possible from Hwy. 27 before it joins Hwy. 427.

I guess the fact that only the 11/11A would be able to exit at Eringate? Access to the Eringate exit is only possible from Hwy. 27 before it joins Hwy. 427.

Not only that, the 11A exits at Dundas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 109 will be upgraded to midday for the September service changes, 22 minute midday frequency. Also, it appears the 82 will be renumbered to 108 and become fully MiExpress buses.

And as discussed previously in this thread the 20 will be extended to Erindale GO.

Would be nice if the 44 saw an increase in midday service too, in time for the start of school. It amazes me that such a busy university route like that, espeically one that relies on transfers, still only has 33 minute service. It sometimes gets closed doors during midday too.

Would be nice if the 44 saw an increase in midday service too, in time for the start of school. It amazes me that such a busy university route like that, espeically one that relies on transfers, still only has 33 minute service. It sometimes gets closed doors during midday too.

It is not only an important route for the university, but is an important connector to go to Square One in midday. Changing to route 9 in Streetsville avoiding the long westerly loop out of Meadowvale Towne Center. The other important connector bus is the 48 it hits the major points and is almost an express. I could never figure out why it doesnt run to Clarkson Go anymore. Because of the connection points with the 110 and the 109 starting to go fulltime I dont think 44 will increase.

Also, it appears the 82 will be renumbered to 108 and become fully MiExpress buses.

Does the renumbering mean it is going to be two way am and pm? Or still just north in the am and south in the pm, as it is now?

109's midday frequency of 22 minutes is astonishing considering the slow movement of Mississauga's service improvements. Was expecting 34 minutes or lower.

Can I assume that 20 will get increased frequency on at least midday and weekend services with the extension to Erindale?

Also the restoration of 107, 110, 22 and 66 back to their service levels during academic year?

Route 82 (which will be 108) is experiencing overcrowding. With the conversion of the route to Express, and the articulated buses are maily for UTM's routes (110 and 101), should it be better for 108 to have a frequency boost and use the reverse direction for additional service in 109?

44's midday frequency should be 20 minutes (with 2 buses added) or 25 minutes (with 1 bus added) IMHO.

WIth the traffic along the 401 to the outlet mall, there is certainly demand for transit service in the area. WB 401 backed up to Dixie last Thursday and Saturday, to 410 last Friday, and today to Hurontario simply because of the outlet mall.

I think 24 or 25 minute headway would be fine for the 44. It just needs to be less than 30 minutes and comparable to the 10/34/35, which are probably the biggest connecting routes.

Creditview and Britannia also have terrible midday service (36 and 35 minutes respectively). Speaking of Britannia (and Matheson), the 43 also needs midday service. East of Kennedy, there's not a single all-day east-west route between Derry and Eglinton. That's a ridiculous gap in service.

It is not only an important route for the university, but is an important connector to go to Square One in midday. Changing to route 9 in Streetsville avoiding the long westerly loop out of Meadowvale Towne Center. The other important connector bus is the 48 it hits the major points and is almost an express. I could never figure out why it doesnt run to Clarkson Go anymore. Because of the connection points with the 110 and the 109 starting to go fulltime I dont think 44 will increase.

The 48 was cut off south of South Common due to the 110. However, the 110 to Clarkson is underutilized so they added 29, I assume to provide relief to 13. If they bring 48 back and cancel the 29, I'm not sure what they would do with 13. The former 13 service along Truscott/Bromsgrove made the route too long, imo. Maybe with the better Lakeshore train service, it is now worth extending both 31 and 48 to Clarkson (31 to take over Truscott/Bromsgrove).

Also funny that you mention route 9, that needs better midday service as well. It was reduced to 31 minutes recently due to running times. They need to redesign route 9 altogether though. I really hate the design of it. It should serve a major street like Thomas instead. That Vista/Windwood/Tours/Miller's Grove/Battleford section should be served by a separate route. Route 9 along Thomas to Churchill Meadows can replace both 41A and 49A, and maybe one of 41 or 49 too.

I think we're missing something here... 101's supposed all-day service.

Does that mean the express buses of 2013 are allocated for 82's conversion to 108 and midday service for 109 instead of 7-day service for 101?

And oh, don't get me started on 38 and 39, especially that annoying Bancroft detour! Is 38's busiest section between Argentia and Erindale GO?

In order for 39 to get more riders and increase its frequency, you have to cut back 10 to Sir Monty's Drive so that 39 can take full advantage of being the lone route along the corridor. Maybe when the LRT is introduced? After all, there will be massive route realignments and cutbacks when the LRT opens.

57 is has a shorter midday break than 43. 57 ends its AM rush at 10:14 AM at Islington and starts its PM rush at 12:43 PM at Mavis Road. A midday variant of 57 can bypass the Infield Terminal, which makes it surprisingly faster than the 109 (until its doomed cutback to Skymark)! Taking 42 or 57 to connect to 82/108 is actually faster than taking 109.

The 48 was cut off south of South Common due to the 110.

If I remember the 48 was cut off a couple years before the expresses started up.

I think we're missing something here... 101's supposed all-day service.

Does that mean the express buses of 2013 are allocated for 82's conversion to 108 and midday service for 109 instead of 7-day service for 101?

And oh, don't get me started on 38 and 39, especially that annoying Bancroft detour! Is 38's busiest section between Argentia and Erindale GO?

In order for 39 to get more riders and increase its frequency, you have to cut back 10 to Sir Monty's Drive so that 39 can take full advantage of being the lone route along the corridor. Maybe when the LRT is introduced? After all, there will be massive route realignments and cutbacks when the LRT opens.

57 is has a shorter midday break than 43. 57 ends its AM rush at 10:14 AM at Islington and starts its PM rush at 12:43 PM at Mavis Road. A midday variant of 57 can bypass the Infield Terminal, which makes it surprisingly faster than the 109 (until its doomed cutback to Skymark)! Taking 42 or 57 to connect to 82/108 is actually faster than taking 109.

I agree with you there are some strange variants to routes. you pointed out the Bancroft detour on the 38.Derry 42 comes up Meadowpine Blvd and instead of making the logical turn on Financial, it goes one block further and makes the buses cross Derry to make a left turn on Financial to go by RBC. I don't have a problem with Financial Drive so turn one block earlier. Meadowvale is especially fractured with the long west loops of the 9,10 covering the lack of service on 10th line.

You are right about Dundas, but I think all those buses need a second look 1, 1c, 101 and why is the 201 still there, should it not be not be 101c.

If I remember the 48 was cut off a couple years before the expresses started up.

MT has had express routes for decades. 48 Erin Mills was truncated on September 4, 2007, the same day that the 110 University was introduced, which also replaced the 24 University. The 110 University was renamed the 110 University Express on March 22, 2010.

I think 24 or 25 minute headway would be fine for the 44. It just needs to be less than 30 minutes and comparable to the 10/34/35, which are probably the biggest connecting routes.

Creditview and Britannia also have terrible midday service (36 and 35 minutes respectively). Speaking of Britannia (and Matheson), the 43 also needs midday service. East of Kennedy, there's not a single all-day east-west route between Derry and Eglinton. That's a ridiculous gap in service.

The 48 was cut off south of South Common due to the 110. However, the 110 to Clarkson is underutilized so they added 29, I assume to provide relief to 13. If they bring 48 back and cancel the 29, I'm not sure what they would do with 13. The former 13 service along Truscott/Bromsgrove made the route too long, imo. Maybe with the better Lakeshore train service, it is now worth extending both 31 and 48 to Clarkson (31 to take over Truscott/Bromsgrove).

Also funny that you mention route 9, that needs better midday service as well. It was reduced to 31 minutes recently due to running times. They need to redesign route 9 altogether though. I really hate the design of it. It should serve a major street like Thomas instead. That Vista/Windwood/Tours/Miller's Grove/Battleford section should be served by a separate route. Route 9 along Thomas to Churchill Meadows can replace both 41A and 49A, and maybe one of 41 or 49 too.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the shift in ridership with midday 109s. I was at my transfer in Streetsville the other day, at 12:30pm and the 9 was packed. 90% rode all the way to CCTT. Myself and my son will now have no reason to take the 9, It will truely become a local bus instead of the main bus to get from Meadowvale to CCTT.

Used 109 from Islington to Sq One for the first time and the 26 beat use considering it departed after use and no traffic on the 427.

Left with 12 and pickup 13 along the way. 10 got off at Sq One and 12 got on.

They have started to place the form work in place for the flyover for Eastgate finally.

I stand to be corrected, but I thought there was a flyover by Bell Campus, but it a underpass now and the first time seeing it.

110 going south of the University is a wasted and has met all my expectation before it every hit the road. You are better off putting the 48 back on in place of the 110.

That 9 is a wander and the increase service to 109 will help people to travel the route a lot faster for those who want to go to/from CCTT to Meadowvale.

With 2 months to go, the contractor is cutting it close for the stations if service is to be running by the end of October. Still have to get the driver train to use the first phase as well test the timing for the runs.

The new ramp from Eglinton to 427 for the buses is completed and gated off at this time. Will save time using this new cut off and not fight the traffic that take place today.

That 9 is a wander and the increase service to 109 will help people to travel the route a lot faster for those who want to go to/from CCTT to Meadowvale.

I can tell you the timing. Meadowvale to CCTT

Route 9 - 45 minutes

Route 109 - 25 minutes

If you spend 45 minutes on the 109 you are pretty close to Skymark Hub. Depending on traffic. Hopefully the opening of the BRT will improve this further.Really for anyone who lives north of the 403 and West of Erin Mills Parkway I think it is the fastest.

Coming out of CCTT to the Credit Valley Hospital or Erin Mills Town Center is 10-12 minutes. I wonder if that might affect ridership on the 34.

It will definitely affect ridership on 34.

Who loves to be stuck 45 minutes just to get to Erin Mills Town Centre using 34 compared to just 15 minutes using 109?

Simply add Sunday service on 35 and restore Sunday service on 68 and 34 becomes a duplicate.

With the opening of the transitway, will there be 7-day service as soon as it opens? Otherwise, it would seem like a white elephant...

And if there will be, can route 9's 30-minute weekend service handle a 109 running on weekends? Likely 9 will be reduced to 45 minute-service if that happens. And can 7 handle 107 running on weekends? I mean, 7's Sunday service is like 40 minutes and its Saturday serivce outside the core hours is like every hour already...

With 2 months to go, the contractor is cutting it close for the stations if service is to be running by the end of October. Still have to get the driver train to use the first phase as well test the timing for the runs.

Hopefully, the roadwork is already done to do the route tests just in time for an October opening. It seems that most of the activity involves construction at the actual stations and park-and-ride and kiss-and-ride areas... Is the Dixie bus access road already done?

The new ramp from Eglinton to 427 for the buses is completed and gated off at this time. Will save time using this new cut off and not fight the traffic that take place today.

Wow. I didn't know that the BRT will have dedicated on and off-ramps to/from the 427. I only thought that there will be bus bypass shoulders along the 427 to accomodate the BRT.

I can't see that following in the footsteps of YRT and trashing the local service in favour increased express service. 45 minute Saturday midday frequency for route 9 is below even MT's own standards (30 minutes or better).

I don't think local ridership will be too adversely affected by increased express service. Remember, local buses connect to the express buses too. So the express service might generate new ridership for local service.

Route 9 has a very outdated routing to begin with, so I can't see MT keeping the route the same anyways. Again, I think they need to reroute it along Thomas to Churchill Meadows and replace 41A and 49A. But since they are extending the 20 to Erindale GO, then maybe they are planning to eliminate the 9 altogether...