Passengers askin stupid question

D40-90

I assume these are the ones:

Pre 1993 buses = step treadle

LFS = Sensor

97 - 03 buses = push bar

Invero = touch tape (or as leyland said, squeeze handle)

The 97 and 98 V's and the VI's also have tredles, the only ones with push bars are the D60LF's

The left touchstrip on the inveros are the most logically located one, since people are likely to grab the handle

Exibit A:

oc4414_reardoor.jpg

The 97 and 98 V's and the VI's also have tredles, the only ones with push bars are the D60LF's

The left touchstrip on the inveros are the most logically located one, since people are likely to grab the handle

Exibit A:

oc4414_reardoor.jpg

Never mind that. What is that red vehicle in the garage directly opposite?

• 4 weeks later...

Pushbars or touchbars?

Pushbars are where you have to push the door open and keep pushing it for it to stay open.

Touchbars are where if you touch the bar while the door is activated, the door opens automatically. You don't need to keep pushing the door for it to open.

Pushbars are quite rare now a days, instead its touchbars.

Just wanted to clairify as it seemed not everyone was aware of the difference.

I was coming back from Yorkdale and I was waiting @ Wilson for a bus to Yorkmills (96?) and then I saw a Faywood bus saying "To Finch". Well, I said "Im going to finch anyway so ill take this direct route". Well, the bus did its route and then came back to Wilson station. I said to the driver "I thought this bus went to Finch?" and the driver was yes, it did, just not the station. This was when I was just starting to take buses and I didnt relize the different between "to Finch" and "to Finch Stn"

No they don't, they're touch bars. If you lightly push just the bar itself, the door will open.

Dan

Which unfortunately, the majority of Torontonians don't understand when riding TTC's VIIs. :angry:

Instead they're in such a hurry they couldn't wait for the rear door to open fully and uses their own force to open it.

On MT's Orion Vs, I dont know if any other models do this, but if you touch the bar between the time the driver hits the switch and when the bus stops, the door locks for at least 3 seconds.

Yeah, that's a saftey feature so people who lean against the rear doors don't fall out when the doors are released.

Yeah, that's a saftey feature so people who lean against the rear doors don't fall out when the doors are released.

Dumb safety feature. I say if people are stupid enough to lean against the doors, they deserve to fall out!

I was on an 85 Sheppard East heading eastbound a few years ago, bus packed the rafters. Anyway, because it was a later-model Orion V, it had the touchbars (see, I can get that right), and the stairs were packed solid with standees. This guy in the one stairwell was leaning against the doors, and the driver took notice. when he stopped for a light somewhere between {404} and Vic. Park, right beside a snowbank, he unlocked the rear doors.

The guy fell out, into the snowbank (in a T-shirt only I might add), got back on the bus and and just acted like nothing happened at all.

I think everyone eho witnessed it was trying not to laugh.

- Josh

On the 501 QUEEN, on Queen St: "Do you go to Queen Street?"

Me (on the PA): "Shaw is next, bus connection for route 63, Shaw"

Passenger: "Where did you say you're short turning?"

Me (on the PA, driving a car with the "short turn" flap up and 501 KINGSTON RD & QUEEN on my signs):

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Victoria/St Michael's Hospital"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Ontario"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Sackville/Good Shepherd Centre"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Saulter/Boulton"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Pape"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Leslie"

"This car turns at Kingston Rd and Queen, the next stop is Connaught"

"Kingston Rd and Queen will be the next and final stop, Kingston Rd and Queen"

"This is Kingston Rd and Queen, last stop. This car is now going out of service, all passengers please exit."

Passenger 1: "Are you not going to Neville Park?"

Passenger 2: "Is this the last stop?"

Passenger 3: "Do you not go past Kingston Rd and Queen?"

Passenger 4: "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOU WERE SHORT TURNING!?!?!?!?! YOU PRICK!!!" (to which I usually reply "Actually the correct term is 'asshole', but you're close enough I guess."

On the 506 CARLTON, facing northbound at Parliament and Carlton, where the streetcar tracks make a clearly visible turn to the left: "Do you go straight up Parliament?"

On the 501 QUEEN between 7am and 7pm:

Me: "Excuse me ma'am, please take your transfer, it's your proof of payment"

Passenger: "No... I don't need it, and that would be a waste of paper"

(honest to god truth, I've seriously had this said to me!!)

Passenger: "Can you call out Lansdowne for me?"

Me: "Certainly."

Later on, on the Queensway at around Windermere or so, after having clearly called Lansdowne and every other stop on the line:

Passenger: "Have we passed Lansdowne yet?"

Me: "Yes, a long time ago."

Passenger: "HOW COME YOU DIDN'T CALL IT LIKE I ASKED?!?!? YOU ASSHOLE!!!"

Me: "Actually the correct term is 'prick', but you're close enough I guess."

Passenger: "Do you go to Lakeshore and Islington?"

Me: "No, take the Long Branch car."

Passenger: "Well how the heck are we supposed to know which one is the Long Branch car?"

Four passengers all getting on at the same time:

Passenger 1: "Do you go to Sherbourne?"

Me: "Yes."

Passenger 2: "Do you go to Sherbourne?"

Passenger 3: "Do you go to Sherbourne?"

Passenger 4: "Do you go to Sherbourne?"

Me: "No."

Passenger 4: "But you told those other guys you did!"

Me: "Oh you're right I did. My bad... I do go to Sherbourne."

(Hehehe)

I just had this today:

On Purple @ McCowan/Highway 7:

Passenger: Does this go to McCowan and Highway 7?

Driver: This is McCowan and Highway 7.

Passenger: You sure? I don't see it (and no, he's not blind).

Driver: Read the signs.

Passenger: I did, it says Highway 7, but where's McCowan Road?

Driver: Right behind this bus.

Passenger: Okay. *goes to the back of the bus, jumps on the bumper* you mean here?

Me: *gets out of the bus* yo asshole, that intersection is McCowan and Highway 7!!!

Passenger: Oh, sorry! Why didn't you say so?

yesterday night I was waiting for the Dufferine bus and when it came, (at around 1 or 2am) while the 29 was still on regular day service, 79xx pulled up. some guy thought the blue lights on the bus (which means wheelchair accessible)was night service.