Passengers askin stupid question

D40-90

Today I was on the Jones route(6648) and a passenger asked if this bus goes to Donland's station.

The bus destination said' 83 Donlands STN', can't people read before getting on a bus.

Has this happen on your bus?

I don't agree with you

1) Some people has reading disabilities.

2) Some drivers fail to change the destination sign.

Yes it happens before to me.

Since the St.Clair ROW construction started, and all these route diversions and boarding areas for routes at St.Clair West Stn. and St.Clair Stn. started changing, a lot of passengers got very confused, even now still. And even though there are signs directing people to where their route is boarding, they sometimes fail to read them, are visually impaired, or they want to clarify and ask a TTC employee even though the sign clearly tells them where to go. As for destination signs on buses, sometimes drivers forget or don't change the destination sign, or they put those weird P/R messages like "FREE - SANTA BUS" or "ROCKET". And if tourists are around, you can't stop them from asking where this bus goes, or where to get this bus, as they may be totally unfamiliar with the city. All this leads people to ask questions...and it's not really a bad thing. Most of the time, I find, people ask just to make sure they're not going the wrong way...

-Ryan

2) Some drivers fail to change the destination sign.

Or they change the dest. signs early... usually on 1 they display "1 To Richmond... Hill Ctr. Term." when they're still a good 2 km from the terminal (M-S Hospital in this case). Besides the fact that any non-transit user probably won't understand what Ctr. and Term. might stand for...

And on the 9/9A, there is NO consistent signage. (I've seen signs that display the destination as the ROUTE NAME. :P )

I can't stand people who can't read how to open the rear door. Once on a TTC V CNG, a guy pushed (as hard as he could) the side of the rear door without the bar, he didn't even get how to do it after the woman on the right did it! Also, one guy on the 49 on a D40LF wouldn't stop pushing the red stop requested button at his stop. A woman then opened the door, he didn't notice, and was still pushing the button swearing at the driver as the door was closing! LOL!

I can't stand people who can't read how to open the rear door. Once on a TTC V CNG, a guy pushed (as hard as he could) the side of the rear door without the bar, he didn't even get how to do it after the woman on the right did it! Also, one guy on the 49 on a D40LF wouldn't stop pushing the red stop requested button at his stop. A woman then opened the door, he didn't notice, and was still pushing the button swearing at the driver as the door was closing! LOL!

Its going to happen until all the doors are push bar/touch bar doors, you should be glad we don't have the Nova LFS' door sensor thing. The only bus that has fussy doors is the D901, they're the best doors for unloading because they're fast but when the passenger decides to push it, it jams.

I remember riding a TTC Orion V 6663 on the 6 Bay (IIRC), anyway's, this guy wanted to exit the rear door and was pushing on the door and it wouldn't open, I don't know how many times the driver told him not to push on it! :P

Christiano

I remember riding a TTC Orion V 6663 on the 6 Bay (IIRC), anyway's, this guy wanted to exit the rear door and was pushing on the door and it wouldn't open, I don't know how many times the driver told him not to push on it! B)

Christiano

:P:P Are you talking about our transit-fanning trip? I knew how to open the doors! LOL!

123 Shorncliffe is another route prone to prompt questions. I've even seen some 123 buses signed as "To Eglinton". If one of those get to me I'd have to ask if it go to Kipling station.

Chalk it up as confusing routing and signage.

In Brampton we have the novas witht the hand wave sensor thing... I hate it when people are trying to get off and they'er pushing the door so hard... then they yell at the driver...

Also here in Brampton, nothing is consistent. Our D40lfs and our newer orionV's have push bars, our Orion I's and older V's have automatic sensors(no hand required) then our novas have the have wave thing. I find that some people transfer knowledge from other buses the next one. They try to push open the doors on an orion I... they wave their hands on a D40lf... and so on.

I thought it was ours at first, but couldn't clearly remember...oh yeah, it was George's first TTC bus ride. It was 6658! :P

Christiano

speaking about 6658, I rode it on 22 today, :P.

123 Shorncliffe is another route prone to prompt questions. I've even seen some 123 buses signed as "To Eglinton". If one of those get to me I'd have to ask if it go to Kipling station.

Chalk it up as confusing routing and signage.

You sure your not talking about 111 or 112? the northest point on 123 is Kipling Stn which isn't even close to Eglinton.

I had an Indian man wearing a bright purple turban at CCT ask me "which bus goes Malton?!?!" over 10 times this morning, after the first time I replied "the 7, 7 Airport" and he kept asking me, to which I kept replying "the 7, 7 Airport". He then proceeded to the control booth at the north end where he tryed to open the door, but it was locked, so he knocked on the door then after no one opened it for him, he came running back to me and asked me a number of times "which bus goes Malton?!?!" This time, I said follow me, and lead him to the 7/18/68 bay and told him when the next bus was. He thanked me, then as I walked away he yelled and asked when the next 7 was, and I told him when it was, and that the schedule was on the post. I never heard from him again! :P

A few weeks ago an eldermy couple wanted to take the bus from CCT to City Hall. I pointed at City hall and said that they should just walk there. They told me they weren't up to walking, so I said "if you don't want to walk, then take the 6W, 26W or 61S. There was a 61S in the bay, but it left as they started walking towards it. They walked back to me and I pointed to the 6's bay, where the 6 was pulling in. They got on, payed 5 dollars, then got off at City Hall.

I have so many stories like this, too many to share at once! Great thread idea busfreak!

You sure your not talking about 111 or 112? the northest point on 123 is Kipling Stn which isn't even close to Eglinton.

Maybe you're right. I'm sure I have seen TTC buses on that section of Dundas (between Shorncliffe and Kipling stn) signed as "To Eglinton". Now we can chalk that up as drivers changing the sign way too early.

But the routing of 123 is still confusing enough to prompt questions by its riders.

Maybe you're right. I'm sure I have seen TTC buses on that section of Dundas (between Shorncliffe and Kipling stn) signed as "To Eglinton". Now we can chalk that up as drivers changing the sign way too early.

But the routing of 123 is still confusing enough to prompt questions by its riders.

Especially for those boarding at Sherway. One time I went to Sherway with my brother and Mom and my brother looked at the sign to see what route it was since I told him we could take 123 to Kipling Stn instead of 15 to Royal York (which we took to get there). All my brother saw as 123 and he got on it me and my mom followed, while we were leaving Sherway I looked at the dest. Sign Keypad and display above the driver and saw that it said to Long Branch. I rode the whole route from Sherway to Long Branch to Sherway to Kipling Stn, it was pretty fun, I loved the curve onto Evans off of where Browns Line becomes Hwy 427.

Shoulda been on the 1996 Orion V-Lift! I got one passenger who's never ridden on this bus before who stood on the step but said nothing happened. The passenger asked the driver why the back doors won't open and he said push the bar when the green light is on. I told him that cuz I read the sign above those doors saying to touch the bar to open the doors. I even did that on the 38 Highland Creek and it worked instantly. Newer buses are getting these as well. Hope by 2012 every bus gets these things as well.

In Brampton we have the novas witht the hand wave sensor thing... I hate it when people are trying to get off and they'er pushing the door so hard... then they yell at the driver...

Also here in Brampton, nothing is consistent. Our D40lfs and our newer orionV's have push bars, our Orion I's and older V's have automatic sensors(no hand required) then our novas have the have wave thing. I find that some people transfer knowledge from other buses the next one. They try to push open the doors on an orion I... they wave their hands on a D40lf... and so on.

Brampton Orion I and 91 V have step down tredle.

This is a good thing, Brampton demands their passengers to think a little when exiting the bus. Either try and figure it out, or look like a knob when you walk to the front in defeat :P

This is a good thing, Brampton demands their passengers to think a little when exiting the bus. Either try and figure it out, or look like a knob when you walk to the front in defeat :P

Brampton only has 3 types of rear doors, OC has 4 types or so I've heard so that's even more confusing to the general public.

If anyone want to list the 4 OC types, please do so as I can only think of 3 types.