Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

3 hours ago, East Van Fan said:

I remember seeing luggage racks on west van's D60HF operating on the 257 back in the day. My prediction is that the Artic buses with luggage racks will be (maybe permanently) assigned to the 620 or any suburban routes like 351 or 601. Any opinions?

That is what I have heard from those involved with the project.  The 620 will have priority for the rack equipped coaches

7 hours ago, East Van Fan said:

I remember seeing luggage racks on west van's D60HF operating on the 257 back in the day. My prediction is that the Artic buses with luggage racks will be (maybe permanently) assigned to the 620 or any suburban routes like 351 or 601. Any opinions?

Orions are already equipped with luggage racks, aren't they?

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, TranslinkKid said:

Does anyone know if our D40LF's have MAN or Meritor on the rear axles? There's an argument between me and someone else about what axles they have.

Sound like MAN's to me.

Listen to this:

And compare to this:

Sound pretty similar, especially on deceleration. Needless to say, one of those buses is better than the other.

20 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

Does anyone know if our D40LF's have MAN or Meritor on the rear axles? There's an argument between me and someone else about what axles they have.

They're Meritor. When you compare them to a C40LFR, they look totally different.

8236226624_1727f692a3_c.jpg7350 (3) by The Transit Site, on Flickr

6474731749_2789a30e8f_z.jpgP3313 - 157 Coquitlam Rec Centre by JT Cowan, on Flickr

10 hours ago, Translink69 said:

Why did they dieselize the C40/C40LFs?

The tanks on the C40LF were going to be expired, so it was cheaper to convert them over to diesel. I would assume it was the same case for the C40 as well.

- Bryan "Goggles"

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

So will we start to see the C40LFRs deiselized in the next few years?

Assuming our regulations on CNG tanks are the same as USA, it was revised for newer models. From 1998 it was 20 years, then 2007 25 years.

If the C40LFRs were built to even the 1998 standard, the tanks would last the life of the vehicle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Translink69 said:

So will we start to see the C40LFRs deiselized in the next few years?

Honestly, with the conversion of some of the units to ISL-G I'm gonna go with no. As well, technology for natural gas has evolved over time that the tanks don't expire for 15-20 years now. Or so I've been told. 

- Bryan

On 6/6/2017 at 7:37 PM, Meraki said:

Assuming our regulations on CNG tanks are the same as USA, it was revised for newer models. From 1998 it was 20 years, then 2007 25 years.

If the C40LFRs were built to even the 1998 standard, the tanks would last the life of the vehicle.

Well if the 98' standard was 20 years, then how were the CNG tanks about to expire in 2008?

What is everyone's favourite Engine/Transmission combo?

Mine has to be Cummins C Gas + / Voith D863.3 or Series 50 / B500R

11 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

Well if the 98' standard was 20 years, then how were the CNG tanks about to expire in 2008?

Cummins ISL9 + ZF6APxxxx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Translink69 said:

C Gas + / Voith D863.3 , Series 50 / B400R , and ISC / B400R