Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

I have a question about the forum and about transit in Vancouver.

Forum: Can anyone start the garage transfers thread or does it have to be the same person every year?

Transit: Does anyone know yet about bus orders arriving in 2017 other then the 160xx and 162xx?

2 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Does anyone know yet about bus orders arriving in 2017 other then the 160xx and 162xx?

2 hours ago, cleowin said:

As far as i understand, there are no orders for 2017, the next order will be 2018.

There's about fifty-some-odd each of forty-footers and artics coming in late 2017, plus a bunch of cutaways and shuttles. What @cleowin probably heard was that there are no new expansion buses coming until at least mid-2018; all of the orders until then were planned as one-for-one replacements for older buses. They're going to have to defer retirements until then to have enough buses to run additional service.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

There's about fifty-some-odd each of forty-footers and artics coming in late 2017, plus a bunch of cutaways and shuttles. What @cleowin probably heard was that there are no new expansion buses coming until at least mid-2018; all of the orders until then were planned as one-for-one replacements for older buses. They're going to have to defer retirements until then to have enough buses to run additional service.

Awesomeness.

I was wondering, is there a place to view the order of buses being produced on new flyer's production line? When Boeing started making 787's fans seemed to be able to track which exact vehicles were being assembled, in what order and for which companies. Is it possible to find this information for New Flyer?

17 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

To replace the XN40's HTC is sending to PTC.  Which are being sent due to a large number of C40LFR's being out of service due to axle issues.

Yep there are diesel Nova's on the 410 and the like now, it's quite interesting

14 hours ago, 8800GTX said:

Yep there are diesel Nova's on the 410 and the like now, it's quite interesting

Agreed.  It's nice to have Nova's other than just hybrids.  It was a nice treat to have 9586 on my shift yesterday.  I think HTC should have the diesel's over the hybrids due to the hilly routes and the highway portion of the 410, some of the hybrids just don't have enough acceleration to get up to speed to merge easily.

Hamilton is a bit of a funny split. There's stuff like that, and then there's urban stop-and-go stuff like the #106 where the hybrids are really beneficial. It's almost like the post-split Burnaby TC where the 40-footers and the artics are almost two separate divisions, in terms of the kind of work and the areas where they're deployed.

That said, I am somewhat surprised that Vancouver kept the third-gen diesels rather than getting all the hybrids, especially given the political factors involved.

3 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

That said, I am somewhat surprised that Vancouver kept the third-gen diesels rather than getting all the hybrids, especially given the political factors involved.

I was thinking a similar idea that HTC should have diesels bus instead of hybrids due the hills.What, I think should happen is 36 second generations Nova LFS and all third generations diesels Novas go HTC and while VTC gets all of Nova LFS HEV. 

15 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I was thinking a similar idea that HTC should have diesels bus instead of hybrids due the hills.What, I think should happen is 36 second generations Nova LFS and all third generations diesels Novas go HTC and while VTC gets all of Nova LFS HEV. 

Just send all the diesels over. And then we can take a couple more XDE60s from Burnaby to fill the yard.

BTW, what's the utilization like on the E40LFRs? Are we using all of them at peak now, or do we still have extras like we did in the days of the Crilly report?

I think the hybrids were sent to HTC for simplicity and to have a uniform fleet of Nova's instead of a mix.  They didn't want the hybrids left at BTC so it was just easier to send them all to HTC and grab whatever hybrids from VTC.  But if they wanted to do the switch now, they could easily over some time.

BTW, what's the utilization like on the E40LFRs? Are we using all of them at peak now, or do we still have extras like we did in the days of the Crilly report?

If anything the number of E40LFR's used in peak would have gone down, there's been no peak frequency increases on trolley routes for the last few years, and the report was written before the 10 was converted to artic operation.  Though, the 5/6 would have just gained a couple of runs, the opening of the Yaletown extension brought a slight increase in frequency (to maintain capacity on Davie with the C23 gone).

• Like 2

That trip is only in service as far as Mitchell Island on the Knight St Bridge as it's a garage bound bus back to HTC. When RTC use to do the 430 that trip use to dead head from Metrotown to RTC Not in Service.

EB Garage bound 100's IIRC there is 1 trip around 1845 M-F & also the last 2 trips of the evening nightly are in service as far as EB S.E. Marine Drive at Ross. From there they go Not in Service over the Knight St Bridge to HTC

8 hours ago, dover5949 said:

EB Garage bound 100's IIRC there is 1 trip around 1845 M-F & also the last 2 trips of the evening nightly are in service as far as EB S.E. Marine Drive at Ross. From there they go Not in Service over the Knight St Bridge to HTC

Any reason why those trips don't run #100 to Mitchell Island? If nothing else, it would provide a connection to #405/#407/#430.

Any reason why those trips don't run #100 to Mitchell Island? If nothing else, it would provide a connection to #405/#407/#430.

could that those three routes are finished for the night by then so no reason to run in service

16 hours ago, dover5949 said:

They recently modified those trips to terminate at Knight St itself and the bus continues NIS along Marine Dr to HTC.

3 hours ago, Brando737 said:

They recently modified those trips to terminate at Knight St itself and the bus continues NIS along Marine Dr to HTC.

Unless things have changed on this sheet I use to see them head over the Knight St Bridge. I can't see why since they are destined for New West for the Queensbrough Bridge why can't these trips operate in service to 22nd Street Station?

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

Unless things have changed on this sheet I use to see them head over the Knight St Bridge. I can't see why since they are destined for New West for the Queensbrough Bridge why can't these trips operate in service to 22nd Street Station?

The change was made a few weeks before the end of the last sheet.  They didn't really need to change anything publicly, just an operational change and a minor change to our paddles for NIS.  These Knight St trips, to or from, are "added" service due to the 100 transferring to HTC.  The trips from Marpole to Knight St usually leave the loop a minute or two before a regular 100.