Edmonton BBC's

captaintrolley

The ones out on the final day of service were 111,138,148,152,155,179 and 183.

Judging from where the bus was parked on Saturday May 2, 2009 at Westwood, it doesn't look like this one made it out for the final half day of services. So this video has 121's very last moments of revenue service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently Seashore Trolley Museum (Kennebunkport, Maine) is in negotiations to acquire an ex-Edmonton BBC trolley. This bus would fit in really well with the trolley bus and diesel bus collection that they have. They are looking into possible trucking options as we speak to determine the best way for the 2700 mile trip.

Kevin

Apparently Seashore Trolley Museum (Kennebunkport, Maine) is in negotiations to acquire an ex-Edmonton BBC trolley. This bus would fit in really well with the trolley bus and diesel bus collection that they have. They are looking into possible trucking options as we speak to determine the best way for the 2700 mile trip.

Kevin

I don't have very much knowledge of trucking period, but I couldn't help but wonder if they could look into hitching a ride to New York on an empty flatbed being used for transporting the U2's out that way?

This would be assuming the trucks being used are based in the eastern US, and would require that the truck would have delivered a U2, and wouldn't be taking one back.

I doubt they'd need that large of a truck to transport a BBC.

No, they wouldn't need a truck that long, but the point would be if it's returning empty, might as well put a load on it.

Anyone konw the weight of a U2? and the length?

About 80'. Would have to look up weight.

About 80'. Would have to look up weight.

I seem to recall being told during LRT Training (Calgary) a few years ago that the U2's were 76 feet long and that apparently included the couplers (If I was informed correctly). The SD160's are slightly longer and if you stop a bit too soon at a platform, the last door could nearly be off the end of the platform.

I seem to recall being told during LRT Training (Calgary) a few years ago that the U2's were 76 feet long and that apparently included the couplers (If I was informed correctly). The SD160's are slightly longer and if you stop a bit too soon at a platform, the last door could nearly be off the end of the platform.

U2's are 79' 8" over coupling faces.

Technically 75' 7" for just the body.

SD-160's are 81' 5" over coupling faces and 77' 5" for just the body.

According to ETS data, and give ot take an inch here or there.

This information might be a bit more accurate: http://carsandtrains.com/ctrain/u2dc_tech.html

Yes, that is bang on.

Most data for U2's I've seen has been in millimeteres and the resulting conversion to imperial isn't 100% accurate as a result, although my numbers should only be out by fractions of an inch... no more than an inch.

• 3 weeks later...

The unit that is apparently destined to Seashore is # 125. The trolley is supposed to be shipped out sometime in August and the trucking company will be Snowy Owl Transportation out of Calgary. Trolley # 125 was one of the ones that was not leased by TTC which Seashore requested, due to the better body condition of the trolleys that did not go to TTC.

www.snowyowltransportation.net

They have some pretty interesting rigs available for rent so it looks like they are more than qualified for the trolley move.

Kevin

The unit that is apparently destined to Seashore is # 125. The trolley is supposed to be shipped out sometime in August and the trucking company will be Snowy Owl Transportation out of Calgary. Trolley # 125 was one of the ones that was not leased by TTC which Seashore requested, due to the better body condition of the trolleys that did not go to TTC.

www.snowyowltransportation.net

They have some pretty interesting rigs available for rent so it looks like they are more than qualified for the trolley move.

Kevin

I heard it's Illinois Railway Museum that is taking one. Anyone got more info? Would be great if both places were taking one :mellow: