Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

In response to another post in the decker thread:

Those 49 short turn trips were usually trips cutting in from RTC.

Sorry incorrect. RTC use to run 1 way trippers between Metrotown & Cambie. In the PM peak a couple of trips would run in service from Cambie to Metrotown. At Metrotown they would deadhead along the WB routing then turn right onto Knight, left on 41st, Left on Cambie, left again on 49th starting service again to Metrotown. I believe they ran 2 buses doing these short turns? They were published in the timetable. I'm not 100% sure but I think there was AM peak trippers doing the same in the opposite routing?

I think that was a common practice during the time when the 49 turned off of 49th to Champlain Heights.

The tripper runs would be signed as "express". They weren't limited stop runs and served all stops as usual, but proceeded straight on 49th rather than turning onto Kerr. I believe this was to handle the commuter crunch in the PM of people leaving Langara to head east. There was no equivalent 'express' run going westbound.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Sorry incorrect. RTC use to run 1 way trippers between Metrotown & Cambie. In the PM peak a couple of trips would run in service from Cambie to Metrotown. At Metrotown they would deadhead along the WB routing then turn right onto Knight, left on 41st, Left on Cambie, left again on 49th starting service again to Metrotown. I believe they ran 2 buses doing these short turns? They were published in the timetable. I'm not 100% sure but I think there was AM peak trippers doing the same in the opposite routing?

Come to think of it, yes. I used to see trips going NIS along 41st

4 hours ago, SkyTrain said:

Reliable source on WCTL posted a photo of a sign-up sheet with RTC listed as the depot for the 555. 

Yes, 555 is confirmed RTC for January. Also the 480 becomes peak hour only and 49 replaces the 41 portion of Wesbrook Mall. 

10 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Yes, 555 is confirmed RTC for January. Also the 480 becomes peak hour only and 49 replaces the 41 portion of Wesbrook Mall. 

I suppose you can't confirm yet if there would still be highway work attached to that, or the frequency on that (# of buses required)

Should do something about that stopping procedure

14 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I suppose you can't confirm yet if there would still be highway work attached to that, or the frequency on that (# of buses required)

Should do something about that stopping procedure

From what I saw the 555 is it's own block, the relief point is Lougheed stn but also lots of on and off at the depot. I saw quite a few am and pm trippers too. I can look again

3 hours ago, Phillip said:

One would assume then that the  41 is going back to trolley and only going to Crown at that time.  They better be beefing up the 43 and 49 to take that extra mob of people that take the 41 from UBC.

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

One would assume then that the  41 is going back to trolley and only going to Crown at that time.  They better be beefing up the 43 and 49 to take that extra mob of people that take the 41 from UBC.

41 is going to be trolley to Crown yes. 43 is becoming the R4 which will run day/night and weekends/holidays.

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Was asking about 480, sorry about non-clarity

I'll check on that.

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

There has been plenty of trolley testing along 41st in preparation for this. Trolleys also going through Joyce Collingwood Station.

1 hour ago, 8800GTX said:

There has been plenty of trolley testing along 41st in preparation for this. Trolleys also going through Joyce Collingwood Station.

Joyce/41st wire is used everyday for deadheads from Kingsway all the way to Dunbar.  Just double checking the revamped wires at Joyce and collecting some information for timing.

We all knew the 41 was going back to trolley, originally planned for last month.  My point is that with the loss of one overcrowded bus leaving UBC they had better beef up services on the remaining runs to fill the demand.

• Like 2

Having taken the 49 occasionally since September, I'm really wondering if the RapidBus introduction will fix the severe overcrowding and pass-up problem that exists between Langara-49th and Kerr. A lot of people are still heading to Langara College through the most frugal and convenient way possible, and the service increases on the 43 appear to have had little impact.

2 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Having taken the 49 occasionally since September, I'm really wondering if the RapidBus introduction will fix the severe overcrowding and pass-up problem that exists between Langara-49th and Kerr. A lot of people are still heading to Langara College through the most frugal and convenient way possible, and the service increases on the 43 appear to have had little impact.

Not only Kerr to Langara but from Metrotown all the way to UBC (I drive by pass ups everyone morning on my commute). A rapid bus would only cause more congestion to the already connected road. If and when the Millenium Line goes all the way to UBC that will help with people trying to get from Metrotown to UBC. Between now and then there really isn’t much we can do. Sure you can say up the frequency during peak but that just results in more congestion’s and major line up of buses (I’ve seen 4 UBC buses all in a line before on 49 ave) and trust me that isn’t pretty.

6 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Does anyone know about the vote? If transit will strike

The results of the vote will not be released until probably late this evening or even tomorrow? Depends on what time the union closes voting. If the results of the voting is in favour of a strike, under BC labour laws the union can't strike until they serve 72 hour strike notice to CMBC. However the union has a window of 90 days to serve strike notice. As for a strike happening say next week I very much doubt it as both sides will be at the bargaining table next week. If the union is in favour of a strike, this will just put more pressure on CMBC to bargain in good faith & settle.

I very much think Unifor (the union) or CMBC will not want to trigger any job action & have the travelling public against them for causing a transit disruption. Furthermore I don't think Unifor would want Government Legislation ordering the members back to work like what happened in 2001 & have a Government Arbitrator settle the dispute.

4 hours ago, Express691 said:

240/255/881 detour starting October 15th: Reroute to 13th between Chesterfield and St. Andrews. 

It's listed as a service change, thus, the impression that it's gonna last for quite a while

Nothing for the 241 which also uses 15th

According to the city of North Vancouver site, the actual closure will be the block of 15th Street east of Lonsdale, so the 241 will be unaffected.  Presumably the 240 and 255 are using Chesterfield instead of Lonsdale for the detour to avoid traffic congestion and delays from making the turns off of Lonsdale.

7 hours ago, 9924 said:

The union said steps will be taken to pressure the company before a strike action. They will do things like overtime ban, slowing down and taking long breaks, uniform ban and refusing to collect fares. I personally like the uniform ban idea...

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Phillip said:

The union said steps will be taken to pressure the company before a strike action. They will do things like overtime ban, slowing down and taking long breaks, uniform ban and refusing to collect fares. I personally like the uniform ban idea...

I personally really like the not collecting fares idea.... ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Phillip said:

Of those, a uniform ban is least likely to affect service delivery. Not sure what the definition is of 'long' breaks is, but I do think a 10 minute break is not unreasonable.

• Like 1