Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

2 hours ago, Orion V said:

In early Feb when 9404 sneaked out on that single 29 in service run, did it have the old driver's side wheelchair seating configuration or the current one?

I don’t think so, from that month.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:17 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

That divider between the 2 spots is right in the middle of the walkway. Strollers and wheelchair access will be difficult.

Coming back to this comment, I think this might be the reason why the XDE60 needed a modification. Not that it would make difficulty for passing through in the new configuration, but the older seating configuration. Since the other comments on the New Flyer Hybrid thread were talking about what was the wheelchair accessibility modification, the 2 dividers would affect people in wheelchairs/strollers to pass through.

This begs the question why can't the NFI artics be made with the centre doors right in front of the middle set of wheels like the LFSAs? I don't think I've ever seen a TA with this configuration. Is it something in that area that prevents the centre doors from moving one window space towards the rear?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

This begs the question why can't the NFI artics be made with the centre doors right in front of the middle set of wheels like the LFSAs? I don't think I've ever seen a TA with this configuration. Is it something in that area that prevents the centre doors from moving one window space towards the rear?

The frame just isnt designed with that placement in mind, the doors wouldnt fit in that space.

11 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Also, it’s like comparing apples to pears when using talking about the LFS artics to the XDE60. 2 different models, from 2 different manufacturers

4 hours ago, AUserofToronto said:

If this question hasn’t been said already; What is that orange light at the front of 8912?

The one under the driver’s side of the front windshield? It is the engine retarder disable light. All buses (post-2000. I can’t recall about the BYD buses) have the light. On the hybrids and e-buses, it is the regenerative braking disable light

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The one under the driver’s side of the front windshield? It is the engine retarder disable light. All buses (post-2000. I can’t recall about the BYD buses) have the light. On the hybrids and e-buses, it is the regenerative braking disable light

I see now, thanks!

Apparently TTC deserves another F again for communication.

None of the 52G Lawrence West I seen were programmed to say Sunnybrook Hospital. Then notices went up on bus poles saying both the 52G AND 952 are being extended to Sunnybrook Hospital. Now they are flat out lying to riders trying to confuse poor customers. There is no change to the 952 routing.

20 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

None of the 52G Lawrence West I seen were programmed to say Sunnybrook Hospital. Then notices went up on bus poles saying both the 52G AND 952 are being extended to Sunnybrook Hospital. Now they are flat out lying to riders trying to confuse poor customers. There is no change to the 952 routing.

3714 has the destination sign for sunnybrook 

3714.webp

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

3714 has the destination sign for sunnybrook 

3714.webp

The sign is not automatic and one of those hidden signs. All the 52G are signed to Lawrence West Stn when manually keyed in while the announcement says to Sunnybook. Otherwise it’s a blank sign. The 59 were using 59S short turn. 

Some of the Stations (Kipling at the East End Parking Lot, Old Mill, Lawrence East, All Line 4 Stations, Dundas, Summerhill, Eglinton, St. Clair, etc.) have the old station name layouts like this: image.thumb.png.8b144716aaeecff0eefb73e3b175923e.png Does the TTC plan on changing all of them or will they keep them.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 9:14 PM, Shaun said:

Is it just me or there is no mention that Sheppard Yonge bus terminal is closed due to construction?

It's just you. All the buses are still serving the station. Just have to board on the street. It's not hard to figure out. 

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

It's just you.

Looking quickly, I'm not seeing it either. What's the URL?

8 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

All the buses are still serving the station. Just have to board on the street. It's not hard to figure out. 

On the street in front of the Bus Platform exit? Or one of the other 8 exits to the station?

I thought the (poorly designed) Bus Platform didn't have a legal way to walk to the street? Have they modified it?

37 minutes ago, nfitz said:

On the street in front of the Bus Platform exit? Or one of the other 8 exits to the station?

I thought the (poorly designed) Bus Platform didn't have a legal way to walk to the street? Have they modified it?

While the TTC's website is usually difficult to navigate under normal circumstances, in this instance they have a link directly on the front page. That being said, they combined the notices for Pape and Lawrence West Stations into one page, I'm not sure why Sheppard-Yonge got its own page. But TTC logic...

The image on the page shows a "Pedestrian Path" across the bus platform driveway exiting to street level.

https://www.ttc.ca/riding-the-ttc/Updates/Sheppard-Yonge-Bus-Terminal-Closure

Map of Sheppard-Yonge Bus Terminal Closure

On 3/31/2024 at 8:19 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

Related to this, the other day I saw a 59S with its destination as Lawrence West Station which is its normal terminus, not a short turn, make a right onto Dufferin to head down to Eglinton West Station (TTC: Lawrence West Station Partial Bus Bay Closure). Who the hell is now in charge of this department?

23 minutes ago, TransitFan88 said:

Related to this, the other day I saw a 59S with its destination as Lawrence West Station which is its normal terminus, not a short turn, make a right onto Dufferin to head down to Eglinton West Station (TTC: Lawrence West Station Partial Bus Bay Closure). Who the hell is now in charge of this department?

There are still using the 59S to Lawrence West Stn sign right now. Seems like no one programmed the sign or it's hidden away where nobody knows what's the code. The 59S sign is designed for 59s bypassing the Culford/Ingram/Sheffield routing but is being used to indicate it's not the normal route. 

It seems like most 52G are signed to Sunnybrook by yesterday. Although a few are putting up 124 signs east of Lawrence West.

As to who decided to organized the bus bays at Lawrence West as the following need a big intelligence questioning. 

WEST END  ||  NOT USED DUE TO CONSTRUCTION ||  52A/B/D/952 WB || 52/952 EB || 52G WB/109 SB || 109 NB ||  EAST END

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

While the TTC's website is usually difficult to navigate under normal circumstances, in this instance they have a link directly on the front page.

Ah, there it is - though is it still the front page, if you have to scroll down to the 4th screen? :)

What I tried was the service advisories, the route advisories, and even the page for that station.

I admit scrolling through the home page didn't cross my mind. Nor should it!

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

The image on the page shows a "Pedestrian Path" across the bus platform driveway exiting to street level.

That makes sense. Hopefully the are redesigning that abomination!

10 hours ago, nfitz said:

This wasn't communicated properly, and is not under any service disruption list or construction list. Great job TTC. 

3 Question?

1)How many bus garages does the TTC have and when they opened?

2) Street Car & Subway Garages when they opened?

3)Did the TTC get back thuse buses they leased to not sure of the transit system  in the GTA do I think it was a garage fiure?

Thanks?

30 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

3 Question?

1)How many bus garages does the TTC have and when they opened?

2) Street Car & Subway Garages when they opened?

3)Did the TTC get back thuse buses they leased to not sure of the transit system  in the GTA do I think it was a garage fiure?

Thanks?

Some of the answers are on the wiki.

Streetcar carhouses is too open-ended a question. Do you want to go back to 1923? Then there's a bewildering variety. Certainly each subway opening likely knocked off a carhouse or two.

• Confused 1

I was wondering how much longer the "temporary" Eglinton station is going to be used. Initially when they closed the old station and built a station in the old bus garage it was supposed to be "temporary".  20 years later it's starting to show its age. Holes in the walls, leaking roofs, and its not suitable for the kind of volume of buses it handles today.

When cross town opens there will be less demand at Eglinton, so will they then patch things up? It's such an eye sore. 

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

I was wondering how much longer the "temporary" Eglinton station is going to be used. Initially when they closed the old station and built a station in the old bus garage it was supposed to be "temporary".  20 years later it's starting to show its age. Holes in the walls, leaking roofs, and its not suitable for the kind of volume of buses it handles today.

When cross town opens there will be less demand at Eglinton, so will they then patch things up? It's such an eye sore. 

It's always been a stated goal of the Eglinton Crosstown project to construct a new, smaller bus terminal on the site of the original terminal to handle what little routes will still run there. Since that site is also the location where the tunnel boring machines were extracted from, it kind of wasn't available until after all the construction at Eglinton Station was largely completed.