Société de transport de Montréal

mtltransitguy

21-227 was involved in a deadly accident this afternoon while on route 196.

CTV: http://montreal.ctvn...dorval-1.914316

Unfortch, one of the dead is the driver of that bus. Well, speed could be a factor in this accident as it was going too fast going straight or turning. Probably the latter as Novas sway a lot when they turn.

You can be sure now that a major crack down of bus drivers wearing seat belts will now happen.

As someone who wears a seatbelt "all the time" while driving my personal car, I refuse to wear it driving at work.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...03.html?cmp=rss

Was glad to hear that in Saskatchewan this has stood up in court.

Notwithstanding, my heartfelt sympathy to the families involved in this horrific crash!

Driver of the BMW ran the red and hit the bus which had the green. You can be sure now that a major crack down of bus drivers wearing seat belts will now happen.

How sad. While I don't have to wear my seatbelt while driving a bus I tend to, just because I don't want to be thrown out the seat incase of impact.

My condolences to the two victims families involved in this accident.

Since it is too early to point fingers, and reports state the BMW ran a red. In my daily commute on 470 express pierrefonds bus, I noticed some Montreal bus drivers are extremely aggressive on the road especially on autoroute 40, there are times when the bus packed to the front door and the bus driver weaves in and out of traffic. I had a gut feeling an accident like this would happen some day on Montreal streets.

In RTL land, its even scarier, those Vanhool's and Nova's weave in and out of traffic like no tomorrow on the Champlain bridge, if this would of happened there, the bus would of flew off the bridge!

Hopefully this accident is wake up call for drivers and management of transit agencies, to discipline aggressive behavior on the road.

How sad. While I don't have to wear my seatbelt while driving a bus I tend to, just because I don't want to be thrown out the seat incase of impact.

Those lap belts on buses do not offer much protection, the forces from this type of crash can easily cause major damage to the abdomen area. Having a combination of shoulder and lap belts offer much more protection. But it guess it is better than nothing.

In RTL land, its even scarier, those Vanhool's and Nova's weave in and out of traffic like no tomorrow on the Champlain bridge, if this would of happened there, the bus would of flew off the bridge!

That's an unfair generalization. The reality is that if a driver were to drive like this, complaints would be made (people complain about the littlest things, believe me) and a supervisor will immediately bring this to the driver's attention. This type of behaviour isn't tolerated and we are trained to drive the articulated buses with more caution than a conventional bus. If you really feel that you are unsafe aboard RTL buses, then I suggest for you to contact customer service in order to remedy the problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Let's see if the STM has the moral fortitude to release the security footage.

I am completely aware that there are bad apples in every group, but when I see incidents like this, I am horrified that a company that I looked up to for years has taken such a turn. I am also disgusted at how the spokesperson for the STM expresses shock when these incidents occur, of course they have to sugarcoat it for the public that the employees can, will, and do get away with such actions.

I am completely aware that there are bad apples in every group, but when I see incidents like this, I am horrified that a company that I looked up to for years has taken such a turn. I am also disgusted at how the spokesperson for the STM expresses shock when these incidents occur, of course they have to sugarcoat it for the public that the employees can, will, and do get away with such actions.

I have the same sentiments in Toronto. Ignorance is bliss, for sure.

I will say this much, for the collector to be injured, they must have exited the booth.

To do so in that situation was stupid, and possibly enough to have them dismissed for participating in the brawl. Nevermind being a francophone snot.

Their public relations people are the worst, especially Marvin "the Martian" Rotrand.

I recall the time Villa-Maria and Georges-Vanier metros were closed for entire summers. After the Villa-Maria closure, he said the public expressed "complete satisfaction" with the STM's alternative service. Well, people sure had to live with it, but how could anyone enjoy that horrendous and time-consuming detour they conceived forcing people trying to take the 103 to go to Snowdon metro, and take a 555 bus to then catch their bus home? It's time the PR reps cut the bullshit, cause all it is doing is pissing off transit users! Just because people don't complain to the media doesn't mean they aren't frustrated, Marvin!

And Marianne Rouette who has replied, in response to complaints regarding how STM inspectors operate, "there is no racial profiling at the STM". How can anyone say such a thing with such confidence?? There always will be racial profiling in some form or another. Many people have witnessed abusive behaviour coming from STM inspectors to random people, white or black.

Whatever happened to honesty and straightforwardness?

On the STM's Facebook page, following public outcry this week, the page administrator said

be sure that the STM does not allow its employees to "insult the anglophones"

I mean WTF! Why is saying that even necessary?

I look forward to watching the security footage on the evening news. Shame on this ticket taker for leaving her booth and failing to handle the situation correctly. Part of her job is to handle aggressive clients... not to get knitting done! She had no reason whatsoever to leave her booth. (This situation also makes me wonder why we have to have manned ticket booths at stations like de la Savane where hardly anyone gets on. Changeurs are useful downtown to help visitors, but otherwise, sorry but they are a waste of money now).

What saddens me is that incidents like this probably happen a lot more often than we hear about them in the news. Not everyone calls the media up after they witness something that is completely unacceptable behaviour from an authoritative figure.

Sorry for ranting so much but really this is enough bullshit. I know the STM is not the only company like this. I could also go on for ages about my favourite drivers that I absolutely love getting because they are simply excellent ambassadors to the public that go the extra mile (the best was maybe 6 years ago when I got on a Park Ave. Classic decorated with streamers and filled with balloons). The STM has come up with brilliant ideas over the past few years, but what seems to be a surge of media reports on the STM lately has disappointed me. First the 12-year-old girl that was kicked off the 16 Graham. Then the Villa-Maria metro "ça se donne en français" poster. And now a ticket agent beating up a client?!?! Franchement... WTF is wrong with the discipline system in this company? Time to give these people the sack.

Their public relations people are the worst, especially Marvin "the Martian" Rotrand.

I recall the time Villa-Maria and Georges-Vanier metros were closed for entire summers. After the Villa-Maria closure, he said the public expressed "complete satisfaction" with the STM's alternative service. Well, people sure had to live with it, but how could anyone enjoy that horrendous and time-consuming detour they conceived forcing people trying to take the 103 to go to Snowdon metro, and take a 555 bus to then catch their bus home? It's time the PR reps cut the bullshit, cause all it is doing is pissing off transit users! Just because people don't complain to the media doesn't mean they aren't frustrated, Marvin!

And Marianne Rouette who has replied, in response to complaints regarding how STM inspectors operate, "there is no racial profiling at the STM". How can anyone say such a thing with such confidence?? There always will be racial profiling in some form or another. Many people have witnessed abusive behaviour coming from STM inspectors to random people, white or black.

Whatever happened to honesty and straightforwardness?

On the STM's Facebook page, following public outcry this week, the page administrator said

I mean WTF! Why is saying that even necessary?

I look forward to watching the security footage on the evening news. Shame on this ticket taker for leaving her booth and failing to handle the situation correctly. Part of her job is to handle aggressive clients... not to get knitting done! She had no reason whatsoever to leave her booth. (This situation also makes me wonder why we have to have manned ticket booths at stations like de la Savane where hardly anyone gets on. Changeurs are useful downtown to help visitors, but otherwise, sorry but they are a waste of money now).

What saddens me is that incidents like this probably happen a lot more often than we hear about them in the news. Not everyone calls the media up after they witness something that is completely unacceptable behaviour from an authoritative figure.

Sorry for ranting so much but really this is enough bullshit. I know the STM is not the only company like this. I could also go on for ages about my favourite drivers that I absolutely love getting because they are simply excellent ambassadors to the public that go the extra mile (the best was maybe 6 years ago when I got on a Park Ave. Classic decorated with streamers and filled with balloons). The STM has come up with brilliant ideas over the past few years, but what seems to be a surge of media reports on the STM lately has disappointed me. First the 12-year-old girl that was kicked off the 16 Graham. Then the Villa-Maria metro "ça se donne en français" poster. And now a ticket agent beating up a client?!?! Franchement... WTF is wrong with the discipline system in this company? Time to give these people the sack.

That's the Societe de Transport de Marois for you.

Yesterday was the last day reduced-fare OPUS cards were valid. The STM must think that a lot of students didn't renew their OPUS cards. I rode a bus that passed a university today. Once we got to the stop that served the university, five inspectors and their two supervisors checked the cards of those who were getting off. Then they swarmed the bus and checked the rest of the passengers' cards. The inspector that came to me just stood there in an oaf-like manner, waiting for me to take out my card, as if he assumed I knew exactly what was going on. After what felt like an awkward pause, I muttered "carte OPUS?", he replied in a "I-love-this-job" tone of voice "oui". Without looking me in the eye once, he tapped my card onto his reader, and then handed it back to me. He wasn't condescending, but rather very impersonal.The seven of them got then got off the bus and took refuge in the comfort of their bus shelter, looking almost excited for the next bus to come by.

• 1 month later...

Snowstorm of the century.

It’s official, today, we beat the 1971 snowfall record of 43.2 cm with 45 cm of fresh, wonderful, white, fluffy snow.

And the STM was up to the task! Seriously, no regular bus I took today (2 of them) were more than 10 minutes behind.

Late in the evening, a deadhead bus offered us a direct ride to the Métro from a remote northeast area; the driver was stuck in the snow and he had to wait 10 hours for the towing. I guess he was glad to finally have passengers... :)

But there were some problems, however...

Like those two jacknifed articulated buses at Pie-IX station:

j59712_QC-STM_20121227-145440_NeigePieIX.jpg

(I don’t think the phone booth was knocked by the bus, however. Looks more like a Bombardier job…)

j59713_QC-STM_20121227-145457_NeigePieIX.jpg

The sign was just a bit ruffled, the bus didn't seem to be scratched.

j59714_QC-STM_20121227-145514_NeigePieIX.jpg

“Happiness is a warm bus” — this bus looks sad.

j59717_QC-STM_20121227-145521_NeigePieIX.jpg

j59723_QC-STM_20121227-145710_NeigePieIX.jpg

Both buses.

(I walked)

MouvementCollectif-STM.jpg