Streetcar News

CLRV4037

The 512 is going through the same problems that the 510 did. There are really big gaps on the line. Usually, there's one or two CLRVs trailing behind a Flexity. For example, yesterday around the evening, there was no streetcars west of Oakwood Avenue. A CLRV at Oakwood heading eastbound was in front of a Flexity (4420) which was at Oakwood heading westbound. Therefore leaving a 30-minute gap. Trailing behind that Flexity (4420) were two CLRVs. One of them short turned at Lansdowne to fill the big gap.

Today, there are 5-6 Flexities on 512. The service is better however streetcars now tend to bunch up near St. Clair West Station now that they changed where they load and unload passengers. After 3 days, people are still confused. They had signage posted everywhere in the terminal for weeks about the change. Even a TTC supervisor said that they needed better signage. They also have to fix the announcements for Winona and Spadina as they are pronounced wrong.

So far, I think it's a fail as there are so many big gaps on the line, streetcars bunching up especially around St. Clair West Station, no fare machines along the line, running Flexities with broken machines, and problems with a few island stops as the Flexity stops with the back door blocked by a garbage bin. 

It's nice to have them on the 512, but it was fine when the route was all CLRVs. I think they should run the Flexities on the weekdays and weekend and holiday service should remain all CLRVs but I highly doubt that they would do that. I gotta say though. If you wanna ride a Flexity going fast, ride the 512. Every Flexity driver that I had so far on the 512 drives fast during the late evening.

Hmm, I've never dewired while using that outside track, I was up there on Sunday and used it at least 6 times with no issue.

I guess it's fixed then. EB cars constantly dewiring during rush hour would cause a mess in the station. 

I feel that some ops are also unfamiliar with St.Clair (ones that haven't migrated over from Roncy) and are a little wary about operating it as "a race track". Ones that are familiar with it would be operating at speed, catching up to slower cars. I expect it to normailize soon. Also there was an employee this afternoon ushering EB customers to the new loading area.

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

They must have changed out the wires on King when I wasn't looking. York, Church, Parliament were using old style for as long as I remember.

I was told as long as King and Queen have the old style, pans will not be use. I have seen no upgrade in the last 2 weeks for both lines other than new overhead and power line installed between York and Church on Queen a few weeks ago.

Why 509 when 510 was to be the first line on Aug 31, 2014?? 

509, 510, 511 and 512 ready for pans today

8 hours ago, drum118 said:

I was told as long as King and Queen have the old style, pans will not be use. I have seen no upgrade in the last 2 weeks for both lines other than new overhead and power line installed between York and Church on Queen a few weeks ago.

Why 509 when 510 was to be the first line on Aug 31, 2014?? 

509, 510, 511 and 512 ready for pans today

The 509 doesn't detour. It's simple turnbacks when there is an event blocking the track. The 510 can detour off College, Dundas, Queen and King and some op will not realize the pan is up. If that happens, TTC can't afford to have clueless ops take down the overheads. I said this about DD buses and the same applies to streetcars. They have to remove all the possibilities of silly things happening that could be avoided. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

They must have changed out the wires on King when I wasn't looking. York, Church, Parliament were using old style for as long as I remember.

The pans will have to come down before the car leaves the line and it will have to be down on the way to the line, but I saw a notice up at Russell, that's where I'm getting the info from.

22 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Any update on 4401?

4401 is pretty much the unloved car of the fleet. No date yet as to when she will be sent back. The interior looks like a retiree with a lot of spots in disarray. The car still only gets used for maintenance personnel training if anything. 

Regarding car #4401:

Considering the assembly of the last four cars we received last year (4427 - 4430) was completed at Leslie post-delivery, would it be possible to perform whatever modifications are needed on site, at Leslie, so that it will no longer be necessary to send it back up to Thunder Bay?

38 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Regarding car #4401:

Considering the assembly of the last four cars we received last year (4427 - 4430) was completed at Leslie post-delivery, would it be possible to perform whatever modifications are needed on site, at Leslie, so that it will no longer be necessary to send it back up to Thunder Bay?

I believe Dave has mention that they had to completely strip the interior of some of the  modules and rework it. That's a little too much for work to be perform here and would need to go back.

Well seeing that bbr is desperately trying to get back on track and ttc is getting more cars more frequently perhaps this is really low on the priority list. They have enough cars for their current schedule so perhaps theyll retain the car for testing and training.  i think they'll eventually send it back, but not for a while 

4500 and 4020 were roaming around the city core yesterday and no one on 4500 the 3 times I saw it at different location and times. Sometime 4020 was in front of 4500 while behind it at other time.

I even saw 4020 sitting on McCaul north of Dundas by itself and 4500 wasn't in the loop.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

and the 504 has bus trippers

Supposedly - I'm probably just not out early enough to see them lately.  Hmm, supposed to be 7 in the morning, and only 2 in the PM? And only one ALRV tripper? That doesn't seem enough.

There's been quite the subtle service cut here. The base 33 cars during AM/PM rush hasn't changed - but they've magically dropped 5 minutes off both the AM/PM run time from before the summer. And now there's only 7 bus trippers in AM peak, compared to 15 before the summer. And only 3 in the peak, compared to 10 bus CLRV.  Then last fall they had 16 bus trippers in the morning, and 14 in the afternoon?

Digging back another year to fall 2015, before the 514, the run/terminal time was the same, but they had 21 bus trippers and 6 streetcar trippers in the AM and 18 bus trippers in the PM, and and extra 2 minutes more time than 2016 (an extra 9 minutes more than 2017).

Further back to 2014, and that was before they tried to fix the timetable. Run/terminal times were 128 minutes in the AM and 142 minutes in the PM, compared 132 in the AM in 2014 and 152 in the PM now.  But in 2017 we are at 127 minutes in the AM and 143 minutes in in the PM.

So basically, they've gone back to the old run times, to avoid putting enough vehicles on the route.  I've not been out as much in peak - how's it doing?

7 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Supposedly - I'm probably just not out early enough to see them lately.  Hmm, supposed to be 7 in the morning, and only 2 in the PM? And only one ALRV tripper? That doesn't seem enough.

There's been quite the subtle service cut here. The base 33 cars during AM/PM rush hasn't changed - but they've magically dropped 5 minutes off both the AM/PM run time from before the summer. And now there's only 7 bus trippers in AM peak, compared to 15 before the summer. And only 3 in the peak, compared to 10 bus CLRV.  Then last fall they had 16 bus trippers in the morning, and 14 in the afternoon?

Digging back another year to fall 2015, before the 514, the run/terminal time was the same, but they had 21 bus trippers and 6 streetcar trippers in the AM and 18 bus trippers in the PM, and and extra 2 minutes more time than 2016 (an extra 9 minutes more than 2017).

Further back to 2014, and that was before they tried to fix the timetable. Run/terminal times were 128 minutes in the AM and 142 minutes in the PM, compared 132 in the AM in 2014 and 152 in the PM now.  But in 2017 we are at 127 minutes in the AM and 143 minutes in in the PM.

So basically, they've gone back to the old run times, to avoid putting enough vehicles on the route.  I've not been out as much in peak - how's it doing?

They cheap out. I blame the 511 for sucking up all he buses and now there isn't any left. The 506 still need 4 buses for construction too but operated by Wilson now.

There was normally too much running time and they have cut back a but. It was a mess during the CNE. Took a full 60 minutes to get from Yonge to Dundas West. Longest streetcar ride I had in a long time.

Steve Munro is reporting that streetcars on the 509 HARBOURFRONT route have begun using their pantographs as of this past Tuesday. Got tipped off that day by a friend and snapped 4418.

In a somewhat related note, as a cheaper alternative to getting streetcars on Queens Quay East instead of rebuilding the tunnel at Bay, could they just run the line up York and east on Harbour (which has room with the Gardiner ramp gone, but is slated to become a bike path) to Yonge or Freeland and then south to Queens Quay?  It'd also create a bypass in the event the tunnel needs to be closed.  

IMG_20170912_102655.jpg

• Like 3