Streetcar News

CLRV4037

Nextbus data got corrected overnight. So can now see the replacement 509 buses and the 501 Humber-Long Branch shuttle, along with changed run numbers on 501, 505, 510, 502, 503, etc. ... and all the Flexities that are in service (10 right now).

Nextbus data got corrected overnight. So can now see the replacement 509 buses and the 501 Humber-Long Branch shuttle, along with changed run numbers on 501, 505, 510, 502, 503, etc. ... and all the Flexities that are in service (10 right now).

Brad Ross was right on this one saying ti will be fix overnight.

We can see now that the 510 is actually chaotic with ALRVs that are placed on runs to Union Station and short turning at King cause they can't go there. There is still a lot of bunching and headways south of King is just as bad as before if not worst.

Tell me again about ALRV's (L3's) and Union Station. Is it a physical or logical limitation?

Read it yourself: http://stevemunro.ca/2015/12/04/ttc-service-changes-effective-january-3-2016/comment-page-1/#comment-46739

There is no physical limitation, ALRVs can be driven in and out of Union Station. It's logical chao. So no ALRVs in Union Station to avoid hour long delays and shutting doors on people. The new cars have cameras on all doors for a reason.

I took a look at the 510 schedule and what nextBus is showing, here is the conclusion.

No one really cares if the 510 is bunched and service south of King appears occasionally. Here's why:

- The schedule isn't made for ALRVs restrictions. There is two sets of runs 1-9 and 20-24. After the transition from am rush to midday schedule, 1-9 are 510A runs to Union Stn, 20-24 are 510C runs to King. Before the transition, any runs in the 2X range can go to Union station so technically none of them can be assigned ALRVs. This promotes short turns at King or QQ.

- They placed ALRVs on 510A runs today, that means there are constantly short turning and schedule adhesiveness today.

- Basically cars are running and they're happy. No one cares if you wait 20 minutes for a 510 at Union.

Didn't we all expect that?

There were many people who just quit waiting and took the stairs (presumaby walking to their destination) upon seeing the lineups at Spadina Station this morning.

Yes with a scheduled that ALRVs were suppose to go to Union Station as I noted yesterday. TTC should have kept 12 new cars on the 510 and only have the 13 and 14th car as ALRVs when they enter service midday. TTC shouldn't have converted the line till they had 18 new cars.

for the person looking for CLRV books - try author: Larry Partridge. He has a Peter Witt and a CLRV book out.

Mind the doors please : the story of Toronto and its streetcars

Is that book still in print? There's a copy available on eBay but it's selling used for about US$40.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mind-the-Doors-Please-The-Story-of-Toronto-and-Its-Streetcars-by-Larry-/370880988007?hash=item565a3ac367:g:iE4AAMXQzH9SEo4d

I took a look at the 510 schedule and what nextBus is showing, here is the conclusion.

No one really cares if the 510 is bunched and service south of King appears occasionally. Here's why:

- The schedule isn't made for ALRVs restrictions. There is two sets of runs 1-9 and 20-24. After the transition from am rush to midday schedule, 1-9 are 510A runs to Union Stn, 20-24 are 510C runs to King. Before the transition, any runs in the 2X range can go to Union station so technically none of them can be assigned ALRVs. This promotes short turns at King or QQ.

- They placed ALRVs on 510A runs today, that means there are constantly short turning and schedule adhesiveness today.

- Basically cars are running and they're happy. No one cares if you wait 20 minutes for a 510 at Union.

That explains the long lineups for the streetcar at Union I saw yesterday morning. Don't know if there was a general delay affecting both the 509 and 510 or if the lineup was entirely for 510-bound passengers. If the latter, they really should have told people to take the 509 and transfer at Spadina.

Also, yesterday evening the 509 westbound streetcars were all signed to Exhibition. Aren't they turning back at the Fleet St. loop and therefore should be signed accordingly? I've heard the Flexity desto reading Bathurst & Lake Shore doesn't fit and has to scroll to accommodate it. Would calling it Fleet or possibly Coronation Park or even Fort York be any clearer? It'd definitely fit on the desto! The loop itself isn't really at Bathurst and Lake Shore, but like the St. Clair westbound desto it's the nearest major intersection.

for the person looking for CLRV books - try author: Larry Partridge. He has a Peter Witt and a CLRV book out.

Mind the doors please : the story of Toronto and its streetcars

That looks like an interesting book, I'll look into it, thanks!

Does anyone when the Cherry Street line is going to open? Are they going to use the old cars on it, and if so, are they going to make new signs or just use paper signs?

TTC should have kept 12 new cars on the 510 and only have the 13 and 14th car as ALRVs when they enter service midday. TTC shouldn't have converted the line till they had 18 new cars.

Yes, they shouldn't have officially converted the line to LFLRVs yet.

I suspect the decision to do so was made either due to budgetary reasons (fewer cars in operation -> lower labour costs) or equipment shortage. Or a combination of the two.

Also, yesterday evening the 509 westbound streetcars were all signed to Exhibition. Aren't they turning back at the Fleet St. loop and therefore should be signed accordingly?

Not necessarily. People unfamiliar with the diversion might presume that particular car was short-turning at Fleet and decide to wait for the next one.

It was the same reason that all westbound 501 cars were signed as "LONG BRANCH" when all service was cut back to Humber for more than 3 months in the fall of 2014.

Yes, they shouldn't have officially converted the line to LFLRVs yet.

I suspect the decision to do so was made either due to budgetary reasons (fewer cars in operation -> lower labour costs) or equipment shortage. Or a combination of the two.

Not necessarily. People unfamiliar with the diversion might presume that particular car was short-turning at Fleet and decide to wait for the next one.

It was the same reason that all westbound 501 cars were signed as "LONG BRANCH" when all service was cut back at Humber in the fall of 2013.

The streetcar shortage reason sounds more reasonable since it's winter. The 501 has taken up more cars with the split and increase running time too.

There were still 501's signed Humber. I guess the message never got to everyone.

That explains the long lineups for the streetcar at Union I saw yesterday morning. Don't know if there was a general delay affecting both the 509 and 510 or if the lineup was entirely for 510-bound passengers. If the latter, they really should have told people to take the 509 and transfer at Spadina.

Also, yesterday evening the 509 westbound streetcars were all signed to Exhibition. Aren't they turning back at the Fleet St. loop and therefore should be signed accordingly? I've heard the Flexity desto reading Bathurst & Lake Shore doesn't fit and has to scroll to accommodate it. Would calling it Fleet or possibly Coronation Park or even Fort York be any clearer? It'd definitely fit on the desto! The loop itself isn't really at Bathurst and Lake Shore, but like the St. Clair westbound desto it's the nearest major intersection.

The experienced riders know what to do. It's the casual and unfamiliar riders who always end up suffering cause they aren't familiar with how TTC operates the 509/510. It's like half the people wait at the platform on Spadina NB at QQ when there's a car turning at the Spadina/QQ loop. There should have rebuilt the loop the opposite direction.

This again. I had this debate with Vancouver folks a while back... As someone who has been burned three times by the lack of short-turn signage (and a lack of signage on the bus stop post), I still find it very stupid (I will elaborate further if you want). The bus sign should be the destination of the vehicle, not the intended destination. If the short-turn sign was up and I wasn't aware, I would ask the operator what's up. If people don't do that, it's their own fault.

There isn't a good solution that works for everyone.

People tear down notices.

If it's signed the final destination, you get confused.

If it's the short turn destination, people will wait countless hours for their vehicle.

If you add it to the destination sign, only 10% will read the whole sign.

If you make an automated onboard announcement every stop, it will annoy 90% of the riders.

TTC riders are used to short turns so putting 501 LONG BRANCH is the best solution.

Signs: I agree - we (the public) tend to board buses or streetcars assuming it to be the one we wanted. Just watch on Dundas when 506 Carlton cars get detoured and how many are shocked when it turns up McCaul, or Bay, or Church.

Unless a stop has multiple normal routes - say around York U - 106/196A/196B - people tend to just get on.

Any updates on 4402, 4415, 4416, 4417, 4418?

The ALRVs didn't last on the 510. CLRVs are dispatched in their place today.

This is great, 4 CLRVs to reduce capacity. It's sardine time!

After 2 days of CLRVs, they are back to ALRVs today (well, 5 ALRVs and 1 CLRV). Not only that, but they are running the ALRVs through Union loop. Both 4238 and 4212 just went through.

Any updates on 4402, 4415, 4416, 4417, 4418?

4415 and 4416 were both delivered last month. Based on comments above, I'd think 4417 would ship next, and relatively soon.

There isn't a good solution that works for everyone.

People tear down notices.

If it's signed the final destination, you get confused.

If it's the short turn destination, people will wait countless hours for their vehicle.

If you add it to the destination sign, only 10% will read the whole sign.

If you make an automated onboard announcement every stop, it will annoy 90% of the riders.

TTC riders are used to short turns so putting 501 LONG BRANCH is the best solution.

I haven't seen this happen in any other city I've been to.

If there are concerns about morons tearing down notices, why not put them in the glass installations that they have the system maps in, like this? Having a vehicle show the regular destination of the line even if it's not going there due to track work is laughable.

9574628295_aa1c1d1dac_z.jpgStreetcar system map - May 2013 by Andrew P., on Flickr

Alternatively, why not make use of the digital signs and have something like this? Not much you can do with the high floors, but with the Flexities?

V5eCqXe.png

After 2 days of CLRVs, they are back to ALRVs today (well, 5 ALRVs and 1 CLRV). Not only that, but they are running the ALRVs through Union loop. Both 4238 and 4212 just went through.

It takes the ttc a whole week to figure this out. How sad. The alrvs can avoid union station after AM rush but SAC screws things up.