MiWay

Orion VIII

Despite MiWay saying paper maps were available for purchase at CCTT, has anyone ever actually managed to get their hands on one before COVID likely did away with them for good?  The Mississauga Transit History page cuts off at 2004.  Does anyone have any of the .pdf versions from 2005 onward saved somewhere? 

The Mississauga Library Archives has a few listed, but they aren't available online and I've tried using the Internet Archive to see if I can dig them up with no luck.  I do remember downloading them, but have lost the USB drives.  I'll have to check on some old laptops or even a desktop to see if I have them stored there.

You'd think with a digital format like .pdf they'd be easier to archive somewhere!  The best I can do right now is re-create them based on old City reports and the odd archived route lists I come across.  For an agency celebrating its 50 anniversary they seem to be short on the everyday recent history!

On 1/29/2024 at 12:51 AM, G.A said:

Someone asked this before. I believe the answer was yes. But that could have changed.

I dont think the 10XX units are getting repainted due to their scheduled retirement being 1 year from now based on the 15 year life cycle. the 12XXs are fair game tho considering they have 3 good years left.

3 hours ago, Orion_II said:

I dont think the 10XX units are getting repainted due to their scheduled retirement being 1 year from now based on the 15 year life cycle. the 12XXs are fair game tho considering they have 3 good years left.

The 1000's will not see paint as they could be gone when the 2400's show up or the 2500's depending on their shape. Anything from the 1100's and up in blue will come orange.

The 2N is officially on detour now with the closing of Robert Speck intersection for guideway construction. Traffic is down to a single lane in all directions with Guild covering up the left turn signals. The boom truck arrived as I was leaving to place the Jersey barriers into position once they arrived.  Only a week late, which is par for the course. The 2's and 103's caught in long line of traffic.

The Mathew Gate northbound stop was removed today as well closing of the crosswalks as they are setting up for paving the northbound lane on Wed. Riders had to walk up to the north side of Burnhamthorpe to get a bus or a southbound one if they did not want to walk back to their normal stop. Once paving is done, all stops will relocate back to their normal location.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:14 PM, Gil said:

Despite MiWay saying paper maps were available for purchase at CCTT, has anyone ever actually managed to get their hands on one before COVID likely did away with them for good?  The Mississauga Transit History page cuts off at 2004.  Does anyone have any of the .pdf versions from 2005 onward saved somewhere? 

The Mississauga Library Archives has a few listed, but they aren't available online and I've tried using the Internet Archive to see if I can dig them up with no luck.  I do remember downloading them, but have lost the USB drives.  I'll have to check on some old laptops or even a desktop to see if I have them stored there.

You'd think with a digital format like .pdf they'd be easier to archive somewhere!  The best I can do right now is re-create them based on old City reports and the odd archived route lists I come across.  For an agency celebrating its 50 anniversary they seem to be short on the everyday recent history!

11 hours ago, Sid said:

Here are the maps I have saved (2009 to 2017, by no means complete)

The Mississauga Transit History website cuts of at 2004 currently because that's what was scanned for print maps at the time, understanding that digital versions became more commonplace around then.

If there are any missing maps (even newer ones) that could be added I would be happy to do so. PDF versions saved from the MiWay site would be good as they can go up fast, but I can have paper copies scanned* too for posting like the rest of the maps that are currently up on the site.

*In addition to more recent times, any paper maps from 1975-1979 that could be arranged for scanning and posting would be appreciated as it is the time period with missing maps.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, drum118 said:

The 1000's will not see paint as they could be gone when the 2400's show up or the 2500's depending on their shape. Anything from the 1100's and up in blue will come orange.

Are you sure? There are the 07, 08 and 09s still to go.

I think it’s best we wait until one of the Orions gets repainted. As for retirements, both the 07s 08s and 09s will be phased out this year, with only 0908 decommissioned so far. 

2054, 2056, 2057, are the last batch of buses to be repainted. 

On 1/30/2024 at 10:34 PM, G.A said:

Are you sure? There are the 07, 08 and 09s still to go.

Anything blue today will be orange unless they are due to retire by 2025. This comes from the top. 2008-09 will remain white as they are past-due-will retire when the 2024 arrive.

With the fare integration with the TTC kicking in a month earlier than expected on February 26, coinciding with the next date for Service Changes is there much that MiWay can do at this point?  The sign up for drivers has likely already been finalized or nearing finalization.  Or will they just wait and see if/how passenger loads redistribute on the routes running through Toronto. 

Does the fare integration also abolish the legislation that dictate closed door operations once in Toronto (no passenger trips solely within Toronto unless there is no alternative TTC service - see Bloor between Kipling and Islington)?  I've always wondered about the ridership of the 30 REXDALE.  Was there really demand to go all the way to Islington or was it just a matter of finding a convenient place to turn around.  Fare integration should open up options for those using PRESTO along that corridor.

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

With the fare integration with the TTC kicking in a month earlier than expected on February 26, coinciding with the next date for Service Changes is there much that MiWay can do at this point?  The sign up for drivers has likely already been finalized or nearing finalization.  Or will they just wait and see if/how passenger loads redistribute on the routes running through Toronto. 

Does the fare integration also abolish the legislation that dictate closed door operations once in Toronto (no passenger trips solely within Toronto unless there is no alternative TTC service - see Bloor between Kipling and Islington)?  I've always wondered about the ridership of the 30 REXDALE.  Was there really demand to go all the way to Islington or was it just a matter of finding a convenient place to turn around.  Fare integration should open up options for those using PRESTO along that corridor.

I heard rumor that this one fare policy is only for two years. But I'll have to be corrected on that.

This is a good opportunity to restructure some routes. Like TTC routes 36 and 37 extended to Westwood mall. Maybe eliminate Miway route 30. 

Get rid of TTC 49 and 50. There's a lot of routes to look at if this new deal is indeed permanent. Maybe even bring back some TTC routes into York Region. 

Anyways, I know this is a Miway thread. But lots to unpack and routes to study as a result of this one fare policy. 

12 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

I heard rumor that this one fare policy is only for two years. But I'll have to be corrected on that.

This is a good opportunity to restructure some routes. Like TTC routes 36 and 37 extended to Westwood mall. Maybe eliminate Miway route 30. 

Get rid of TTC 49 and 50. There's a lot of routes to look at if this new deal is indeed permanent. Maybe even bring back some TTC routes into York Region. 

Anyways, I know this is a Miway thread. But lots to unpack and routes to study as a result of this one fare policy. 

It should be the reverse. Have the smaller systems feed into Toronto and have TTC reduce using their buses into surrounding systems. All TTC buses should stop at boundary and those travelling beyond should be on regional local systems (them buy more buses to feed into TTC stations).

YRT 24 is a prime example.

1 hour ago, Cityflyer said:

It should be the reverse. Have the smaller systems feed into Toronto and have TTC reduce using their buses into surrounding systems. All TTC buses should stop at boundary and those travelling beyond should be on regional local systems (them buy more buses to feed into TTC stations).

YRT 24 is a prime example.

It really can go both ways when you look at ridership patterns and where ppl are coming from. Each route that goes near city limits or goes bear it should be looked at. With this new one fare policy, I personally would hope it would encourage more seamless , one seat rides. 

A Lot of ppl travel from in Toronto to outside cities by transit. 

YRT is privatized and is cheaper to operate than to pay for TTC to operate it. I doubt they would ever want more TTC routes in York Region and would outright get rid of all TTC routes if they could. Someone would have to pay the difference if they want an integrated system. I can see YRT contract operators going on massive strikes with their current pay and having to do what TTC operators have to do within Toronto boundaries. 

4 hours ago, Gil said:

AFAIK it's still closed door operations. I think the big hold up of them rolling out open door service is the TTC union.

Allowing Miway or YRT to pick people up while that Presto machine says TTC fare is akin to contracting out service to another municipality. Particularly the privatized drivers of York Region.

I fully expect a nasty fight if this ever. goes through by ATU113.

18 hours ago, York Transit said:

AFAIK it's still closed door operations. I think the big hold up of them rolling out open door service is the TTC union.

Allowing Miway or YRT to pick people up while that Presto machine says TTC fare is akin to contracting out service to another municipality. Particularly the privatized drivers of York Region.

I fully expect a nasty fight if this ever. goes through by ATU113.

I was under the impression that it was a stipulation in the City of Toronto Act that needed amendment from Queen's Park that forced the closed door operations.  It's been reported on in the past and I've seen it happen first-hand (which got pretty ugly) where someone on a Mississauga-bound bus wanted to get off within Toronto and was refused by the driver who was simply following the law.

I don't think a simple bargaining contract stipulation from the ATU would be enough to force closed door operations as you'd have the other union arguing for it unless they reached some sort of compromise.  I've seen similar operations with cross-border transit service in New York City where the former Nassau County-operated Long Island Bus ran into Jamaica, Queens to connect with the subway.  Drop offs only once crossing into Queens and pick ups only until crossing into Nassau.

Obviously where they've been contracted to operate as with the TTC services into York Region or the 52 LAWRENCE WEST into Malton this doesn't apply.  And I supposed there isn't any legislation preventing any other cross-border transit service elsewhere in the province. 

33 minutes ago, AWEChess1 said:

Is it just me or have the number of collisions involving MiWay buses increased dramatically in the past few months....

It might have something to do with the fact that the City of Mississauga lifted its ban on pot shops last April.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1