Scarborough RT

Shaun

It was posted by the @old_ttc instagram account. I searched for both the Detroit People Mover and the Scarborough RT on Google, but none of this news came up. Probably he just wants more clicks to his account. Until there's a credible source to this, don't believe it's real.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, anyfong said:

It was posted by the @old_ttc instagram account. I searched for both the Detroit People Mover and the Scarborough RT on Google, but none of this news came up. Probably he just wants more clicks to his account. Until there's a credible source to this, don't believe it's real.

There's a credible source on twitter, it was announced at a Detroit city meeting

32 minutes ago, anyfong said:

It’s on the agenda on the People Mover website.

• Like 1

More details about the interest from Detroit

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/12/19/ttc-scarborough-rt-parts-detroit/

“Without this opportunity, we would be looking to basically find a custom manufacturer of these vehicles, for just 12 vehicles, which would obviously have an upward force on the cost itself. A lot of the larger rail agencies are ordering 100, 400, 500 vehicles at a time, which is obviously more attractive to a manufacturer.”

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the DTC has approved spending up to US$1 million plus shipping costs for various components. He said that could mean sending up to five full trainsets along with parts used for signalling systems, specialized assembly pieces and parts needed to keep trains running. Green also called the potential arrangement a win-win

Also of note:

Green noted two trainsets are being kept with the TTC and one will be going to the Halton County Railway Museum in Milton.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Either they'll eventually have to dismantle the line and maybe replace it with an LRT. Or modify it to something similar to the DLR in London. That's far fetch, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years when they have no choice but decommission them. At least now they'll have a surplus of cars where each car is doing less milage overall, for them to last longer. 

I thought earlier this year , there was talks with Detroit getting new cars for the People Mover? 

If two train sets are being kept by TTC, then what’s the actual point of them because they don’t support Line 2 because of the different infrastructure, and the line itself is supposedly be demolished. 

There’s no transit museum so it doesn’t make sense either. I’m sure they won’t end up keeping them. It’s just not logical 

6 hours ago, CJ. said:

If two train sets are being kept by TTC, then what’s the actual point of them because they don’t support Line 2 because of the different infrastructure, and the line itself is supposedly be demolished. 

There’s no transit museum so it doesn’t make sense either. I’m sure they won’t end up keeping them. It’s just not logical 

They may just keep a car or two at a like Greenwood complex,, for things like "Doors open Toronto". Or maybe they can be re-gauged for streetcar tracks, and simply be towed by a street car during a parade or whatever.

2 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes  but both end of the building are not protected by walls plus pigeons probably poop all over the platforms by now

That was also true of Islington station bus bays; heck the pigeons were pooping all over while they were still in use.

Bus bays are boarded off both ends now, with nice locking doors included. I would be willing to bet that the bays are full of Crap and Stuff now.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Aren't these kinds of abandoned spaces traditionally used by the TTC to Store More Crap and Stuff?

If the will existed to keep an SRT unit around (which I find shocking) I'm sure finding another location to store Crap and Stuff wouldn't be a difficult task.

18 minutes ago, T3G said:

If the will existed to keep an SRT unit around (which I find shocking) I'm sure finding another location to store Crap and Stuff wouldn't be a difficult task.

I guess we'll see if the TTC keeps a set around--personally, I can't imagine why (yes, I did ride the RT on opening day).

I see the Kennedy platform more useful to store Crap and Stuff given that the (Further Into) Scarborough Subway Extension is happening there. True, access is tricky for heavy Crap and Stuff, unless they build a temp ramp up to there.

I would see it more likely for any "preserved" RT cars to be shipped to a back corner of Hillcrest to sit on some temporary standard gauge track, there to molder away. North Queen would be a dark horse location--South Etobicoke getting yet more Hand Me Downs. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Aren't these kinds of abandoned spaces traditionally used by the TTC to Store More Crap and Stuff?

🤷‍♂️

doesn’t have to be.

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes  but both end of the building are not protected by walls plus pigeons probably poop all over the platforms by now

You close them in. This isn’t rocket surgery. 
Chrissakes…. Is nobody capable of improvisation on this damned board?

• Thanks 2

On 12/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Or put it on a trailer flatbed like the h5 subway car

What? They did that with a H5? I thought they were supposed to go to Africa, and then they (the Africans) changed their minds and they (the H5s) got sent for scrap???

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

I guess we'll see if the TTC keeps a set around--personally, I can't imagine why (yes, I did ride the RT on opening day).

I see the Kennedy platform more useful to store Crap and Stuff given that the (Further Into) Scarborough Subway Extension is happening there. True, access is tricky for heavy Crap and Stuff, unless they build a temp ramp up to there.

I would see it more likely for any "preserved" RT cars to be shipped to a back corner of Hillcrest to sit on some temporary standard gauge track, there to molder away. North Queen would be a dark horse location--South Etobicoke getting yet more Hand Me Downs. :rolleyes:

They probably won’t place items on the track bed itself, and realistically the cars themselves could be in addition to, not in spite of any eclectic attic collection the TTC has in mind. Put crap on the seats for all I care.

plus if there in Kennedy, they can molder in style with a roof.

if they’re really feeling spendy, they could extend the platform space over the switch, use it to exhibit old turnstiles, transfer machines, whatever.

its like lower bay, but better. It’s on the system, already wheelchair accessible, and not interfering with non revenue train movements. An opportunity like this will not happen again.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

its like lower bay, but better. It’s on the system, already wheelchair accessible, and not interfering with non revenue train movements. An opportunity like this will not happen again.

Or they could focus on spending their/our money on something that actually provides/improves service? It's an aluminum and plywood box, who cares? Go to Detroit or Vancouver if you want to see what could have been.

All of the relevant bits and the history of that tech is hidden if you are just keeping a car or two sitting and molding away in the attic of a station.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Or they could focus on spending their/our money on something that actually provides/improves service? It's an aluminum and plywood box, who cares? Go to Detroit or Vancouver if you want to see what could have been.

You confuse me with someone actually emotionally invested in their employer.

Why build a new plinth when one already exists?
I’m just pointing out the path of least resistance to their goal, not mine.

Actually there’s some common ground there. My goal is retirement as well, as soon as feasible.