TTC in the news

buschic

Apparently ~200 of the 350+ of the workers that are unvaccinated and effected by the TTC's vaccination policy will be going through the process of getting their vaccines or will be accommodated in some fashion (i'm guessing valid medical exemption).

Not surprised at all because as I mentioned before, when push comes to shove and when a lot of those people dont see the paycheck coming in they will change their mind. It was a cute bluff by them though. As for the remaining portion, well that's their problem.

11 hours ago, lip said:

Apparently ~200 of the 350+ of the workers that are unvaccinated and effected by the TTC's vaccination policy will be going through the process of getting their vaccines or will be accommodated in some fashion (i'm guessing valid medical exemption).

Not surprised at all because as I mentioned before, when push comes to shove and when a lot of those people dont see the paycheck coming in they will change their mind. It was a cute bluff by them though. As for the remaining portion, well that's their problem.

The medical exemption ones will fall flat and be denied. Maybe then they’ll get their shots but as for the ones who were already given a termination letter. If the union can guarantee they get their jobs back on condition of getting the shots, I say lucky them. But there isn’t any accommodation they’ll get for a public service job like this 

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ttc-union-calls-for-new-policy-that-would-temporarily-halt-service-during-some-major-snow-events-1.5744811

Even though it was a record storm I still think services where handled poorly. 

They could have re-route those York Mills buses to other stations like Bayview or Lawrence to avoid those hills.  

Why didn't they co-ordinate with the city to give priority to those hilly areas? 

29 minutes ago, Shaun said:

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ttc-union-calls-for-new-policy-that-would-temporarily-halt-service-during-some-major-snow-events-1.5744811

Even though it was a record storm I still think services where handled poorly. 

They could have re-route those York Mills buses to other stations like Bayview or Lawrence to avoid those hills.  

Why didn't they co-ordinate with the city to give priority to those hilly areas? 

The city only has so many resources to handle the significant snowfall. I do agree that a snow route plan should have been planned with road supervisors coordinated along the hotspots (hilly areas) and making adjustments to alternative stations where possible or turn-back points. 

540 buses out of 1,300 in-service and still around 300 to 400 buses still stuck waiting to be retrieved. Roughly 41.5 percent of buses stuck. Reminds me of the time in February 2013 where Ottawa's OC Transpo had a similar situation where they had around 200 buses that went down along certain sections and witnessing first hand. With how one articulated bus lost traction and got stuck with 7 other buses stuck behind and the bus I was on stuck because it skidded into a snowbank while parked. 

Some are saying these major snowfalls happen once every 10 or so years. Despite how often that happens, you would think they would still have something since some people can't stay home and still need to get to work such as grocery store employees. I do know that in extreme weather events such as extreme snowfall, some retailers will close early and send everyone home. 

12 hours ago, Shaun said:

This situation has happened before with 10 or 15CM which happens a few times a year.  And to have a plan to redirect buses from hilly places to other stations. 

Kind of a false solution, as there were lots of photos of buses getting stuck in non hilly places too. There was a pair that got stuck in the middle of the intersection at Yonge and Finch and several got stuck in the area around Don Mills station as per the today's sightings thread, on either flat land or gentle hills.

As for your concrete proposed solutions, Bayview and Lawrence is a two level intersection and there's a hill on Bayview leading out from under the 401 towards Sheppard too, so that seems like a pair of almost certain locations for those buses to get stuck if they managed to make it so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, T3G said:

Kind of a false solution, as there were lots of photos of buses getting stuck in non hilly places too. There was a pair that got stuck in the middle of the intersection at Yonge and Finch and several got stuck in the area around Don Mills station as per the today's sightings thread, on either flat land or gentle hills.

As for your concrete proposed solutions, Bayview and Lawrence is a two level intersection and there's a hill on Bayview leading out from under the 401 towards Sheppard too, so that seems like a pair of almost certain locations for those buses to get stuck if they managed to make it so far.

Do you have a better idea? 

2 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Do you have a better idea? 

Do I have to have a better idea in order to point out that your proposed solutions will also get the buses stuck?

There was a photo of a bus that got stuck in the turn from Don Mills onto Fairview Mall Drive. This intersection is as flat as they come. If a bus got stuck here, why do you think they'd be able to handle a detour to Lawrence or Bayview stations?

But to answer your question, I agree with the union. Temporarily suspending service for a period of time while the plows work seems to be the best in a bad situation. A lot of people in online comments sections are complaining about how they won't be able to get to work, but a lot of them weren't able to anyway when their buses got stuck, and their presence on the roads just makes it harder for the snowploughs now to dig the city out, especially when there's vehicles side by side on a major road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

I think back in the day when we had Orion V's and Fishies the buses didnt get stuck as much likely because they where not low floor.  Do modern buses have traction control or some type of limited slip function other than ABS?

The hell they didn’t.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

I think back in the day when we had Orion V's and Fishies the buses didnt get stuck as much likely because they where not low floor.  Do modern buses have traction control or some type of limited slip function other than ABS?

Hahaha I remember a bunch of times operators in the FIshbowls asking people, move back, move back everyone squeeze in the back for more weight to aid in traction. Havent heard that  in a really long time since orion VII's thru the nova's.

9 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

The hell they didn’t.

Do any current TTC buses have any sort of diff lock option or any sort of limited slip setup in the diff? Or have any in the past?

I've never paid attention if a bus is doing a one-wheel-peel when stuck in snow.

13 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Do any current TTC buses have any sort of diff lock option or any sort of limited slip setup in the diff? Or have any in the past?

I've never paid attention if a bus is doing a one-wheel-peel when stuck in snow.

Diff lockers on buses is not a thing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Diff lockers on buses is not a thing.

Ah, good to know. Would be neat if they had an automatically engaging mechanical lock like in Chevy/GM pickups, otherwise known as the G80, that way it would be completely oblivious to the operator.

Probably would be a durability/reliability issue though.

Wonder if we'll ever see more than one drive axle in a bus, or individual hub motors in future electric buses.

On 1/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, MK78 said:

Ah, good to know. Would be neat if they had an automatically engaging mechanical lock like in Chevy/GM pickups, otherwise known as the G80, that way it would be completely oblivious to the operator.

Probably would be a durability/reliability issue though.

Wonder if we'll ever see more than one drive axle in a bus, or individual hub motors in future electric buses.

I've always thought about programmed "diff locks" on a bus if it has individual hub motors. There doesn't need to be a mechanical connection but you could definitely program them to "lock" and spin at the same speed. And there's less risk of mechanical damage from operator misuse. 

Also I believe the XE60 is a 6x4.