Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

On 12/31/2018 at 1:16 AM, OCTranspoMaster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they retired it now. @Enviro_1203  @Waiting for 30 Minutes @dev161 please let me know what will happen when / if you hear about the bus's status.

5060 is likely retired as well. It was involved in a collision a couple of weeks ago and appeared to have suffered frame damage. That means 4 of them may now be retired.

12 hours ago, ikarus8737 said:

5060 is likely retired as well. It was t-boned by a 60 footer at St. Laurent Station a couple of weeks ago and appeared to have suffered frame damage. That means 4 of them may now be retired.

With the retirement of the Orion VII Hybrids possibly starting now. Is it okay to create an Orion VII Hybrid Retirement Watch thread?

On 1/3/2019 at 10:21 AM, STO_1601 said:

With the retirement of the Orion VII Hybrids possibly starting now. Is it okay to create an Orion VII Hybrid Retirement Watch thread?

No point, they're all going to be killed off by the time LRT opens. Inveros would be the exception.

Made a few observations of the Elgin Street detour today.

Buses on the 5 Rideau and 14 St-Laurent face the most delays, particularly on westbound Somerset crossing Elgin. This will likely change as motorists become used to the idea of being unable to turn on to Elgin Street.

Buses and traffic southbound Elgin between Lisgar and Somerset are current travelling in the right hand northbound lane. The roadway veers sharply to the right and divides into two lanes, one to turn right, one to turn left less than 100 metres north of Somerset. General traffic is prohibited from turning left to eastbound Somerset during the afternoon peak, as the manoeuvre is reserved for buses and bicycles.

The turns between Somerset and Cartier are particularly tight, no easy remedy there. Buses face no real issues on Cartier, McLeod, and Metcalfe streets.

Otherwise, the detour will likely get easier once winter eases up and the streets widen a little.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Made a few observations of the Elgin Street detour today.

Buses on the 5 Rideau and 14 St-Laurent face the most delays, particularly on westbound Somerset crossing Elgin. This will likely change as motorists become used to the idea of being unable to turn on to Elgin Street.

Buses and traffic southbound Elgin between Lisgar and Somerset are current travelling in the right hand northbound lane. The roadway veers sharply to the right and divides into two lanes, one to turn right, one to turn left less than 100 metres north of Somerset. General traffic is prohibited from turning left to eastbound Somerset during the afternoon peak, as the manoeuvre is reserved for buses and bicycles.

The turns between Somerset and Cartier are particularly tight, no easy remedy there. Buses face no real issues on Cartier, McLeod, and Metcalfe streets.

Otherwise, the detour will likely get easier once winter eases up and the streets widen a little.

The system showed just that in regards to the amount of late buses and what not (base off observations)

57 minutes ago, Michel said:

Anyone know what the two new concrete buildings are that are at the western edge of Tunney’s Pasture?  Currently covered in house wrap.  One has a garage door on it.

Likely for Facilities Management's use. The Bus Operator Building at Hurdman has a garage for OC FM.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Why has STO kept the Classics for a long time? It seems like they've pushed the retirement date back a lot.

What I gather, The Sto will keep a bus running until its no longer feisable to repair it. 

With the Ex Calgary units If i remember correctly they were rebuilt prior to Sto buying them and are still in decent to good condition to keep them on the road. 

17 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

What I gather, The Sto will keep a bus running until its no longer feisable to repair it. 

With the Ex Calgary units If i remember correctly they were rebuilt prior to Sto buying them and are still in decent to good condition to keep them on the road. 

The two-stroke engines in those Classics, will run, if badly, forever.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Oc4526 said:

Exactly. They even have a fibreglass front end off of a 2nd gen LFS (Most likely 0514) sitting in the Hull Garage waiting it seems to be put on a crashed bus.

On the other OC thread someone mentioned route 6 gets DD on weekends. All this time I thought only weekday rush hour express routes gets DD.

What other OC routes on weekends get DDs and is it only the 81xx series or both 80xx/81xx series?

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

On the other OC thread someone mentioned route 6 gets DD on weekends. All this time I thought only weekday rush hour express routes gets DD.

What other OC routes on weekends get DDs and is it only the 81xx series or both 80xx/81xx series?

When the DD's were first introduced (80xx and the first batch of 81xx)

It was common to only see them during weekday peak periods (with the odd one mid day) 

When Octranspo started to use them on weekends, it was routes 6(& old 1?) 11,94,95,, had select trips with DD's

For the past year its just the 6 with mid day trips assigned as DD/60.

It's sometimes a mix of both types. But often only 81xx (my sightings)

During the weekdays (mid day) you can find DD's on select trips on the following routes. 6,11,12,91,94,95,97. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

It was common to only see them during weekday peak periods (with the odd one mid day) 

When Octranspo started to use them on weekends, it was routes 6(& old 1?) 11,94,95,, had select trips with DD's

It s sometimes a mix of both types. But often only 81xx (my sightings)

During the weekdays (mid day) you can find DD's on select trips on the following routes. 6,11,12,91,94,95,97. 

I get 94 and 95 as they are the Transitway BRT routes but what makes 6 and 11 special? Lots of people and no problem with clearances?

12 minutes ago, Orion V said:

I get 94 and 95 as they are the Transitway BRT routes but what makes 6 and 11 special? Lots of people and no problem with clearances?

As far as I'm aware, there's no clearance issues on the 6 or 11. Not sure on the why but my guess Is OC wanted to add capacity and realocate the Artics to other routes that needed the resources. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

39 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

As far as I'm aware, there's no clearance issues on the 6 or 11. Not sure on the why but my guess Is OC wanted to add capacity and realocate the Artics to other routes that needed the resources. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

From my understanding those route are considered popular tourist routes that go through the downtown core. Just my guess.

Mid day trips are not important to Transpo to be on a specific route as there is not a large demand.

It may be more efficient to have them doing a route mid day instead of spending time at the garage between those peak periods.

The route they choose can be based: on being cleared for double deckers, having a start and end at a busy terminal station and drivers schedules.

thats just my plausible reasoning; I’m not Oc Transpo

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

It's sometimes a mix of both types. But often only 81xx (my sightings)

The old 1 certainly had DD buses, I have a picture of one signed up as route 1 on the last day before it became the 6. DD service on route 6 started in summer 2016 or earlier. Buses tend to be assigned randomly, they don't separate the 2 types at the garage.

I imagine that pert of the desire to use DDs on weekends comes from evening out the mileage across the fleet; it doesn't make any sense to have a valuable asset sitting idle while other buses are over-used to compensate. After 12 years, an artic could theoretically have 1.5-2x the miles on it compared to a DD if the DD was only out at rush hour.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orion V said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no clearance issues on most routes. DDs are about the same height as a standard Semi truck.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are no clearance issues on most routes. DDs are about the same height as a standard Semi truck.

That's correct. 

From my knowledge the following routes have clearance issues.

299(former 99 branch)

The Wb portion of the 16 in Sandy hill (Range Rd)

The Snow Bus (Seasonal)

The 50/152 

The 45/106 (Rehab Centre)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong or Add others.