TTC Electric Buses

16 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

But iirc from the experts here, the plug doors are harder to maintain than standard sliding or flip out doors.

They are - there are far more moving parts.

That doesn't mean that they don't have their advantages or can't be reliable.

Dan

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

But iirc from the experts here, the plug doors are harder to maintain than standard sliding or flip out doors.

Yes.  For example, MBTA went through several revisions of plug doors on the Boeing cars before ditching them completely during a heavy rebuild.  The original design had an obscene moving part count.  The number I saw was just over 3,000 parts.  I hope that number's wrong on the high side or a total including the stationary parts but I never found out for sure.  The second revision got that a bit more manageable and dropped the sensitive edges for a wide, soft rubber strip as a strictly passive safety component, but they still never worked well to the point they replaced them completely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They seem to have returned to the 46 and 927 today maybe cause the weather is warmer. They chose routes closer to Arrow with runs staring at 6am instead of 5 during the colder days last week. Weekend dispatches were reduced too.

I wonder what's gonna happen when it hits -20C for several days...

• Like 3