General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Genius101 said:

Besides Islington and Warden are all the other stations on track to have accessible elevator service before the end of the year?

Based on the revised schedule (Appendix A, page 12 of the PDF) presented in September, only Donlands, Castle Frank and Glencairn are scheduled be done by the end of the year. All other stations will be done in 2025 with the exception of Spadina (Line 1), King and Islington which will be done in 2026. Old Mill is the only station that construction has not started at, and has no completion date.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, nfitz said:

With the post-Covid service cuts, they aren't even running as many trains as pre-ATC.

Does it run with ATC off often?

This weekend it was due to the closure between Union and St George.

• Like 1

Heard a couple good ones today as well with the automated voice announcements. One referenced Line 1 as "Bloor Danforth" for a delay at Davisville. Another got it partially right for a PAA, but the "Yonge" in "Yonge-University" was being spelled out on the PA as "Y-O-N-G-E". 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Heard a couple good ones today as well with the automated voice announcements. One referenced Line 1 as "Bloor Danforth" for a delay at Davisville. Another got it partially right for a PAA, but the "Yonge" in "Yonge-University" was being spelled out on the PA as "Y-O-N-G-E". 

I thought I was tripping when I heard Line 2 Scarborough RT is bypassing Leslie Station (btw, there was never any delay on Line 4 that day)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CJ. said:

I thought I was tripping when I heard Line 2 Scarborough RT is bypassing Leslie Station (btw, there was never any delay on Line 4 that day)

Trust me, I can assure you that you never need fear Line 2 Scarborough RT actually stopping at Leslie station. (I have Contacts in the Track and Maintenance Department, you see. They Tell Me Stuff.)

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2024 at 8:01 PM, Shaun said:

When ATC is turned off on line 1, how do they manage headways? Obviously they can't run as many trains on the line. So do trains run further apart?

On 1/13/2024 at 11:03 PM, nfitz said:

With the post-Covid service cuts, they aren't even running as many trains as pre-ATC.

Does it run with ATC off often?

no. They don't ever turn off ATC. Even when the operator is "driving the train manually" it is an ATC mode.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:57 PM, nfitz said:

How smooth was the ride? Now that they seldom have to operate the train, I've had some bumpy Line 4 rides. 

Very unsmooth depending on who is operating the train manually in "CABS" mode. There are a couple ops that are super fast, efficient, and smooth because they care and are interested in providing good service. The rest are out of practice.

• Like 1

This weekend there’s no service between Davisville and Lawrence stations. That’s the first time I’ve heard of Davisville being used for one of these closures, usually it’s St. Clair. 

Any idea how it’s gonna work? Unload at Davisville and then use the Eglinton crossover?

6 minutes ago, yrt1000 said:

This weekend there’s no service between Davisville and Lawrence stations. That’s the first time I’ve heard of Davisville being used for one of these closures, usually it’s St. Clair. 

Any idea how it’s gonna work? Unload at Davisville and then use the Eglinton crossover?

There are single crossover switches both north and south of Davisville Station.

I imagine they'll use the single crossover south of the station to cross over onto the southbound track, and use the southbound platform. Another possibility is unloading on the northbound platform, progressing past the station, and using the crossover north to reverse onto the southbound track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

Anyone have idea why are there too many slow zones in longer stretches all of sudden? 

Line 1 is basically a crawl from Bloor-Yonge to Davisville and Line 2 crawls from Royal York to Jane..

It's a result of a recent track geometry survey. They are working on fixing the issues found to remove the slow orders.

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

There are single crossover switches both north and south of Davisville Station.

I imagine they'll use the single crossover south of the station to cross over onto the southbound track, and use the southbound platform. Another possibility is unloading on the northbound platform, progressing past the station, and using the crossover north to reverse onto the southbound track.

Thanks for the info everyone! I never knew there was a crossover there

3 hours ago, wil9402 said:

It's a result of a recent track geometry survey. They are working on fixing the issues found to remove the slow orders.

This area has been a problem since before the T1's arrived. The H5's used to scrape the pole when travelling slowly. 

On another note I'm surprised that nothing is being done to prevent panhandlers at Yonge and Bloor. It's a crazy situation with them fighting over their turf. 

• Like 1

Given the very slow zone on approach to St Clair Station I’m not surprised that they are extending to Davisville since presumably they are concerned that trains won’t have enough speed through the St Clair turnback to maintain power getting from one third rail to the other. While Davisville was non accessible for a while they clearly prefer running shuttle buses to St Clair for easier turnaround due to the larger bus bay. I wonder what they will choose this weekend

24 minutes ago, 5242 said:

also iirc H6 set 5930-31 were also T1 Prototypes

Some mechanical alterations were made, including a new design of inverter, but I do not believe any interior modifications were made.