General Subway/RT Discussion

FlyerD901

15 hours ago, T3G said:

Anyone know what this is, on 5139's forehead? image.png.4db01d2a7b7be6282ed16c88af21fb30.png

Camera?

I spotted them while commuting in Toronto, and that was my first thought. I would think it would be useful to record people going between cars when they are not supposed to, in case of an accident and lawsuit where somebody has a mishap, or for workman's comp denial if it was an employee.

Question about the subway workcar fleet:

Was the Tokyo Rose (RT-10) designed based on the Gloucester cars? I've always assumed so, given that it was of a similar length, and looked somewhat similar (the front that is), but now I'm not so sure, given that it came more than a decade later, from a completely different manufacturer. Was there only one copy ever built, and was its propulsion system similar to that of the G-cars, or the M/H-cars?

What happened to the PCC rail-grinding cars (RT-14/15)? Have they been sent off to museums or other second-hand owners? And did they retain the same PCC tech after being converted to 3rd rail operation, or was it all replaced with newer tech?

15 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Question about the subway workcar fleet:

Was the Tokyo Rose (RT-10) designed based on the Gloucester cars? I've always assumed so, given that it was of a similar length, and looked somewhat similar (the front that is), but now I'm not so sure, given that it came more than a decade later, from a completely different manufacturer. Was there only one copy ever built, and was its propulsion system similar to that of the G-cars, or the M/H-cars?

What happened to the PCC rail-grinding cars (RT-14/15)? Have they been sent off to museums or other second-hand owners? And did they retain the same PCC tech after being converted to 3rd rail operation, or was it all replaced with newer tech?

I think the PCC subway grinder was scrapped. The Witt was also scrapped in the 70s. Too bad no one tried to preserve either. 

On 10/25/2023 at 10:59 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

Metrolinx is currently studying extending Line 4 from west to Sheppard West station and beyond Sheppard/McCowan to build an initial business case. Public consultations to start next month to gather feedback. 

Link here:

https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projects-and-programs/sheppard-extension

If the link doesn't work, I have also attached a screenshot of the study area for reference. 

Screenshot2023-10-25at10_49_51AM.thumb.png.3b36a17e50dbbed82f3448e9c3524e34.png

God i hope we don't go through the same song and dance we did back then. Line 4 needs this extension as does the city. It's the best way for us to add redundancy both operationally and travel-wise (Gotta love impromtu closures for umpteen reasons) and i hope no expense is spared foolishly in making this extension. Make every station have platform screen-doors. Line 4 is fully atc enabled. Lets use that tech to its full potiential. I also hope we don't make any boneheaded decisions. Instead of boring the whole thing, only bore where necessary and do cut and cover everywhere else. This means we don't have to do anything like cutting midblock stations or having deep af stations for no good reason.  Side note: I wonder how an extended line 4 will operate. Will we have super frequent service with 4 car trains or will we be making use of the knockout walls and expanding to 6 car trains?

3 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

God i hope we don't go through the same song and dance we did back then. Line 4 needs this extension as does the city. It's the best way for us to add redundancy both operationally and travel-wise (Gotta love impromtu closures for umpteen reasons) and i hope no expense is spared foolishly in making this extension. Make every station have platform screen-doors. Line 4 is fully atc enabled. Lets use that tech to its full potiential. I also hope we don't make any boneheaded decisions. Instead of boring the whole thing, only bore where necessary and do cut and cover everywhere else. This means we don't have to do anything like cutting midblock stations or having deep af stations for no good reason.  Side note: I wonder how an extended line 4 will operate. Will we have super frequent service with 4 car trains or will we be making use of the knockout walls and expanding to 6 car trains?

Same. Especially since doing a half-baked job due to funding cuts and budget restraints don't help. 

My guess if Line 4 is ever extended is running with 4 car trains until the ridership builds to send out 6 car trains. With the new stations provisioned to accommodate both four and six car sets to future proof. I think there are many transit projects that could have been done, but instead put on the back burner due to funding or other technical challenges that prevent it from actually happening. 

4 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Cut and cover causes a huge amount of disruptions above ground and requires all of the utilities to be relocated. Boring is easier once in the ground.  I guess the hard part is the ravine before Bathurst, how far down do they need to get to below the waterline. 

4 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Line 4 is not fully atc enabled. Who told you that?

They're running the traditional block signals with 1 operator since it's only a 4 car train. Not because they're using 1 operator due to atc enabled.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

ATC isn't exactly needed on Line 4 in its current state as there are so few trains running there is no reason for it.

I hadn't ridden it for a while, but I did last week, and I found the ride much more jerky than it used to be.

I can only guess that the newer drivers out of Wilson/Davisville have no practice stopping most of the time.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:00 PM, lifty4ever said:

Line 4 is fully atc enabled. 

No, it's fully running on the legacy signal system it was opened with 21 years ago. The only difference between line 4 and line 2 is they added reverse traffic signals to line 4.

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

I hadn't ridden it for a while, but I did last week, and I found the ride much more jerky than it used to be.

I can only guess that the newer drivers out of Wilson/Davisville have no practice stopping most of the time.

Yes. You can actually notice that on line 1 when they are driving it through a work zone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turtle said:

No, it's fully running on the legacy signal system it was opened with 21 years ago. The only difference between line 4 and line 2 is they added reverse traffic signals to line 4.

Yes. You can actually notice that on line 1 when they are driving it through a work zone.

Quite a bit of sliding around Davisville especially if it's wet due to leaves on the track. 

I think the T1's did a better job during slippery conditions.  

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

The worse I ever felt was in Montreal in the 1980s when ATC and signalling were down and they were running with stop on sight. You'd think the drivers had never driven manually in their lives. Do they even try there now?

Last Friday, the final Line 3 McCowan-STC shuttle bus did its rush hour run, aka a variant of Line 3 shuttle, which used Line 3 shuttle signage. 

Originally which was a shuttle bus meant to connect those from STC-McCowan station after the Line 3 closure, never had any ridership, and communication on TTC’s part was super poor, no signage anywhere referring to the shuttle. The service ran everyday and all-day with one bus and two on rush hours, occasionally 1/2 more rads and the others would go on extended layover, but it never had any ridership at all. It ended up getting reduced to peak hours only on weekdays, and then just like that it was abolished. Even though the TTC said it would be gone last board, it lasted a little bit longer than that and with the removal of that bus, it's safe to say the name Line 3 is now dead too, and will never be heard of again for a long time. 

a side note, the Line 3 shuttle bus posters have also been updated to 903-Kennedy Stn Scarborough express, so there goes that and STC is currently in the process of removing and blacking out any signs that refer to Line 3. There’s a single Line 3 map left and the elevator sign which has the line 3 logo and name, which they were talking about the replacement midday today. 

And just like that the line I grew up with in the city of Scarborough is gone, becoming more and more forgotten everyday, almost like it never existed in the first place

(they even removed the RT print on the hexagonal sign..)

On 11/1/2023 at 4:44 PM, Shaun said:

Quite a bit of sliding around Davisville especially if it's wet due to leaves on the track. 

I think the T1's did a better job during slippery conditions.  

Yes and no. When the TRs first came, they were horrendously inconsistent on good rail. A few software updates later (about a year or two after they got the TRs) they managed to "fix" the braking on them, even though the whole time "they" blamed the operators for whatever happened at a station.

But still they are dealing with a crude automatic control system which for the most part does an okay job most of the time.

Except when there is a work zone past the station it is trying to stop at, or the train doesn't have routing set up past (for example) St George when the train is trying to stop at St George.

Yes, I said crude and horrendous. But most people wouldn't notice how shitty the automatic control system is on an average day, since most of the drivers there are super crappy and out of practice for the most part in a manually operated section (CABS in a work zone). Just IMO by the way.

The BD operators are even worse, especially those that can't figure out how to maintain less than 15 using inch and the grade of the track to maintain proper smooth safe speed through a speed restriction.

They all need to be slapped in the backside of their heads.

10 hours ago, Turtle said:

Yes and no. When the TRs first came, they were horrendously inconsistent on good rail. A few software updates later (about a year or two after they got the TRs) they managed to "fix" the braking on them, even though the whole time "they" blamed the operators for whatever happened at a station.

But still they are dealing with a crude automatic control system which for the most part does an okay job most of the time.

Except when there is a work zone past the station it is trying to stop at, or the train doesn't have routing set up past (for example) St George when the train is trying to stop at St George.

Yes, I said crude and horrendous. But most people wouldn't notice how shitty the automatic control system is on an average day, since most of the drivers there are super crappy and out of practice for the most part in a manually operated section (CABS in a work zone). Just IMO by the way.

The BD operators are even worse, especially those that can't figure out how to maintain less than 15 using inch and the grade of the track to maintain proper smooth safe speed through a speed restriction.

They all need to be slapped in the backside of their heads.

Stopping at the station is still touch and go. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The request for proposals shortlist for the Yonge North subway extension (Finch to Richmond Hill Centre) for the tunnelling contract. 

CrossTransit Group

• Applicant Leads: VINCI Construction Grands Projets, Ferrovial Construction Canada Inc.
  • Design Prime Team Member: SENER SES Canada Inc.
  • Construction Prime Team Members: Ferrovial Construction Canada Inc., Janin Atlas Inc

North End Connectors

• Applicant Leads: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd. 
  • Design Prime Team Members: EXP Services Inc., TYPSA Inc.
  • Construction Prime Team Members: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.

Toronto-York Tunnel Connectors

• Applicant Leads: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Bouygues Construction Canada 
  • Design Prime Team Members: Hatch Ltd., Parsons Inc.
  • Construction Prime Team Members: Acciona Infrastructure Canada Inc., Bouygues Construction Canada 

Contract for tunnelling is expected to be awarded in late 2024. 

Link to the shortlist: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/en/news-and-media/news/advance-tunnel-yonge-north-subway-extension/rfp-to-shortlisted-teams-for-the-yonge-north-subway-extension-tunnelling/

• 2 weeks later...

Randomly found this gif, which very clearly appears to be the interior of H5 5796 judging by the red door panel in the foreground, however the next door panel in the background clearly appears to be faux woodgrain rather than red, and the side wall appears to be cream like on an H5/6, whereas the wall at the end of the car appears to be gray like on a T1.

Can anyone explain this, is it just a realistic edit or was there actually a point in time when 5796's interior looked like that?

The gif in question:
https://giphy.com/gifs/108-tallboyz-fare-skipper-kI8h0vjrCjCUMi3GPn
https://giphy.com/gifs/108-tallboyz-fare-skipper-RM4VZPfKS6cKoEsRnQ

Screenshots in case the link doesn't work:

0.jpg

1.jpg

15 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Randomly found this gif, which very clearly appears to be the interior of H5 5796 judging by the red door panel in the foreground, however the next door panel in the background clearly appears to be faux woodgrain rather than red, and the side wall appears to be cream like on an H5/6, whereas the wall at the end of the car appears to be gray like on a T1.

Can anyone explain this, is it just a realistic edit or was there actually a point in time when 5796's interior looked like that?

The gif in question:
https://giphy.com/gifs/108-tallboyz-fare-skipper-kI8h0vjrCjCUMi3GPn
https://giphy.com/gifs/108-tallboyz-fare-skipper-RM4VZPfKS6cKoEsRnQ

Screenshots in case the link doesn't work:

0.jpg

1.jpg

That's not 5796. That's a regular H5. It seems producers vinyl wrapped the yellow part to red so it appeared more "TTC"

If this was 5796, it would have wider doors with that awkward panel there.

This is the H5 that is probably owned by that film company

They did a similar thing to a T1 in Greta

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, York Transit said:

That's not 5796. That's a regular H5. It seems producers vinyl wrapped the yellow part to red so it appeared more "TTC"

If this was 5796, it would have wider doors with that awkward panel there.

This is the H5 that is probably owned by that film company

They did a similar thing to a T1 in Greta

Was 5796 one of the "here's what T1 cars will look like" things?