TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

On 4/2/2019 at 1:13 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Not easily.  What does kind of surprise me though is that it looks like it's still sitting on the rebuilt trucks that only had two weeks use on them.  If the ALRVs were likely to come back and I was running the show, I'd have gotten the car jacked up and put a set of junk trucks under it and saved the overhauled ones for spares but it's academic since the ALRVs probably aren't coming back and I definitely do not run the show!

The service schedule states that there are 10 alrvs running at rushhour service.

12 minutes ago, jor said:

I think the ALRVs will have a farewell run. It would be sad to let the ALRVs go like this. Also the service schedule states that there are 10 alrvs running at rushhour service.

If the plans to reactivate the ALRVs are successful, and the repairs take, then I  don't see why they wouldn't host a farewell trip for them. If they don't end up coming back into service, they assuredly won't reactivate one for a couple of hours just so that some buffs can get their final rides.

What is written in the service summary and what is reality doesn't always have to be the same. Despite what the schedule calls for, I don't see any out in service right now.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

What is written in the service summary and what is reality doesn't always have to be the same. Despite what the schedule calls for, I don't see any out in service right now.

I guess that answers my question if any ALRV has made it out this board period.

The folk wisdom that "a bus at the stop is worth two on the schedule" has to be updated to "an ALRV at the stop is worth infinitely more than everything you see on the Service Summary".

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, jor said:

4002 is tracking in Brampton near Dixie rd and the 407. Is it retired?

It was last in service three hours ago. You'd be surprised at the places vehicles can track when the GPS can't find its coordinates.

For anyone who is using the trackers, the site offers a number of features that allow you to gain insights about the status of the vehicle. Enable the two boxes screenshotted below and you'll be able to see when the vehicle last reported a GPS location, and when the vehicle last ran signed into a service (trip path). It's not 100% reliable, but it should go a long way towards easing questions like this down the line.

trip path 2.png

trip path 1.png

• Like 3

This will definitely not be today. The car is photoed at the loading dock at Main (note that the tracks are right by the platform instead of on the other side of the station where they're right by the edge of property), therefore that would mean this photo was taken at sunset which hasn't occured yet. Plus the weather's been crap all day.

My theory is that this is a photo from early September, I saw a photo the other day of the car operating on the 506 a few days after the TTS charter. It would align with the state of the car's paintjob, which is shiny in the photo and I highly doubt it would be after being stored outdoors all winter long.

Edit: after cross referencing the photos from the charter with the ads the car was wearing, I can definitely conclude that that is not a recent photo.

42975020830_3f2a302a0a_z.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4221 - 99 by Andrew P., on Flickr

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

This will definitely not be today. The car is photoed at the loading dock at Main (note that the tracks are right by the platform instead of on the other side of the station where they're right by the edge of property), therefore that would mean this photo was taken at sunset which hasn't occured yet. Plus the weather's been crap all day.

My theory is that this is a photo from early September, I saw a photo the other day of the car operating on the 506 a few days after the TTS charter. It would align with the state of the car's paintjob, which is shiny in the photo and I highly doubt it would be after being stored outdoors all winter long.

Edit: after cross referencing the photos from the charter with the ads the car was wearing, I can definitely conclude that that is not a recent photo.

https://flic.kr/p/28tydt1

Yeah i saw the posts a while ago as well. There were 2 posts on Instagram of 4221 from different accounts, but then I looked at the car from the charter. I saw the same driver with the blue shirt ?? The other picture on Instagram has green grass and trees full of leaves so September makes sense 

And is 4230 retired or not ?? I heard that it was but now it is also tracking again at Russel?? I find it very coincidental that 4236 and 4230 begin tracking again within a couple days of each other  

7 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

And is 4230 retired or not ?? I heard that it was but now it is also tracking again at Russel??

The car was reported as being stripped earlier in the thread. However, going by the photos I took of it most recently, it doesn't appear to have been stripped , so that and the recent reactivation of its tracker has lead me to remove its retired status pending further info.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

The car was reported as being stripped earlier in the thread. However, going by the photos I took of it most recently, it doesn't appear to have been stripped , so that and the recent reactivation of its tracker has lead me to remove its retired status pending further info.

It isnt stripped

• Like 1

4221's tracker is completely shut down (per transsee).

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

4207 and 4230 were spotted yesterday inside the bays at Russell. The hope is that these two will be the first two back into service.

Dan

4230 is currently parked outside the building. 4207 remains inside.

4228 is parked at the top of one of the last tracks to the west. 4243 and 4230 are parked relatively close. Let's see if they enter service today or tomorrow.