TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

13 minutes ago, John Oke said:

What was the first CLRV delivered? 

4002 was off loaded at Toronto docks on Dec 29, 1977 and delivery to Hillcrest the same day. The other 5 SIG cars arrived 1978

4010 was delivery to Hillcrest April 24, 1979. 4199 was delivery 1981

• Like 6

Does anyone know which car was the first to enter service? To the best of my knowledge, I have never read which car did that.

The TTC's annual report for 1979 shows two CLRV photos: an unknown unit during the ceremonial ribbon cutting at Humber, and then 4019 loading passengers on the 507. I have no idea how many cars entered service that day, though, and if 4019 was the first one or not.

https://www.ttc.ca/Coupler/Annual_Reports/1979 Annual Report.pdf

Backlog for previous annual reports is here. Some interesting stuff in here. https://www.ttc.ca/Coupler/Back_Track/Annual Reports/index.jsp

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Does anyone know which car was the first to enter service? To the best of my knowledge, I have never read which car did that.

The TTC's annual report for 1979 shows two CLRV photos: an unknown unit during the ceremonial ribbon cutting at Humber, and then 4019 loading passengers on the 507. I have no idea how many cars entered service that day, though, and if 4019 was the first one or not.

https://www.ttc.ca/Coupler/Annual_Reports/1979 Annual Report.pdf

Backlog for previous annual reports is here. Some interesting stuff in here. https://www.ttc.ca/Coupler/Back_Track/Annual Reports/index.jsp

In the book TTC: the first seventy-five years, there is a photo of 5 CLRV at Long Branch loop on the 1979 page. It appears that the second unit in the photo is 4011, however, the identity of the other cars are blocked out by people.

Additionally, there is a  photo of the CLRV mock-up at the Exhibition In 1975, and it leaving on a flatbed as well. On the 1982 page, there is a photo of 4190 on the 506 heading east to Main Street, in what appears to be a snowy High Park. On the 1985 page there is a photo of 4005 at Hillcrest in its special paint. Finally on the 1988 page there is a photo of 4205 at Long Branch, with a CLRV behind it. 

• Like 5

Made a little video on 4191. Dunno if I have any other shots of it but this is what I could find. RIP

34 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Found this cool blue 301 rear rollsign what happen to these?

https://transit.toronto.on.ca/photos/articles/ttc-night-gallery/clrv-4053.html

IIRC the 1987 version had blue exposures. I am not 100% sure but I think there was an early version of the present day signs with blue exposures (in the newer font). They tossed all those. Oh yeah, there was a rare edition of the rear rollsign with 513, 514, and 515 if I'm not mistaken. That was from around 99-2000 I believe. Someone's gonna have to corroborate that.

• Like 7

Got some more CLRVs last dates:

4082 last ran on Aug 16 2018 on 502

4046 last ran on Oct 29 2018 on 501

4152 last ran on Jul 20 2018 on 504

In the thread previously, somebody mentioned that 4005 last ran in early May 2015

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jor said:

Got some more CLRVs last dates:

4082 last ran on Aug 16 2018 on 502

4046 last ran on Oct 29 2018 on 501

4152 last ran on Jul 20 2018 on 504

In the thread previously, somebody mentioned that 4005 last ran in early May 2015

4046 was also the very last CLRV to ever run in service on the 512 on August 31, 2018. 

• Like 5

On 11/10/2019 at 8:39 PM, Downsview 108 said:

Oh yeah, there was a rare edition of the rear rollsign with 513, 514, and 515 if I'm not mistaken. That was from around 99-2000 I believe. Someone's gonna have to corroborate that.

I can't speak to the date of those signs, but there were three cars that had them: 4027, 4053, and 4113.

4027 lost that sign sometime between my spotting of it in June 2016, and her retirement in the summer of 2018, as I've been told that the sign on the car at retirement was a standard issue. I've heard that an op took the rare sign home. I have no idea if any of the others exist.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4075 and 4094 (both MIA) track in the carhouse at Russell so I guess we’ll see what comes of them. 4089 is MIA, at Hillcrest still and 4123 doesn’t track. Bathurst is 100% CLRV today (as expected) and there are currently 7 CLRVs on the 506 plus 4178 on Gerrard East. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

4075 and 4094 (both MIA) track in the carhouse at Russell so I guess we’ll see what comes of them. 4089 is MIA, at Hillcrest still and 4123 doesn’t track. Bathurst is 100% CLRV today (as expected) and there are currently 7 CLRVs on the 506 plus 4178 on Gerrard East. 

Bathurst is scheduled for all CLRVs. I've heard from several sources that 4094 might be done for reveune service, so there goes one of my picks. Not retired, just done from service it seems. Not sure about 4075.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

Bathurst is scheduled for all CLRVs. I've heard from several sources that 4094 might be done for reveune service, so there goes one of my picks. Not retired, just done from service it seems. Not sure about 4075.

So is that implying that it may be the Canadian-made car the TTC is saving? 

Anyone know if 4034 is still sitting on the trailer at Russell or anyone know where it’s going? It was mentioned that it was maybe going somewhere in the States. 

2 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

So is that implying that it may be the Canadian-made car the TTC is saving? 

Anyone know if 4034 is still sitting on the trailer at Russell or anyone know where it’s going? It was mentioned that it was maybe going somewhere in the States. 

I heard it's leaving Wednesday and going to Illinois.

Edit: Actually it was scheduled to leave earlier today so it's probably gone. But it's going to IRM.

Edited by christine
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, DepthOfField said:

Looks like all Streetcars are now correctly pinging their position.

Great news! Commuting home by two streetcars is no fun in the snow, when you don't know if you are going to have to stand 20 minutes waiting for one (or two!)

With data, there's always a plan B and plan C (actually about 10 different ways I travel when things go south) that at least keep me warmer, and normally faster.

I have no idea how people commuted regularly on streetcars before nextbus, given the tendency to have massive gaps.

• Haha 8

43 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I have no idea how people commuted regularly on streetcars before nextbus, given the tendency to have massive gaps.

You gambled. Most routes were 10 minutes or less but you could never depend on that. Unplanned detours were especially bad but that's still a problem now since NextBus doesn't show those - but most apps do now at least.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

At the moment, 4193 appears to be having mechincal issues at Bathurst Station, and due to that 4040, 4164 and 4170 are having to divert to Spadina Stn. 

Seems to have continued on the route after that and is still in service 

4094 going to Hillcrest 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nfitz said:

For most of the history of streetcars in Toronto it wasn't a problem because the density of service on the surface lines was excellent compared to now.  If you missed one streetcar, you probably could see the next car coming and if you were in a place with good visibility way down the line, you could see the next several coming, so not a problem.

Things started changing when there was that deep, bad recession coming out of the 80s that lasted into the early 1990s and then the major blow happened when Mike Harris pulled the operating subsidy that the government of Ontario chipped in and service was decimated.  The subway was kept to a minimum five minute headway but the surface operations where slashed badly.  I think the present attitude about "subways subways subways" because anything else is perceived to be a vastly lesser form of transit dates back to this because the subway was the only thing that had good service any time of day for the longest time.  You were fine as soon as you got to the subway.  You were fine while you were on the subway.  But as soon as the subway delivered you to the station you needed to change to a surface route at, you got dumped outside on the platform to try your luck.  Maybe your connection's sitting there waiting with the doors open.  Maybe you see the tail lights pulling out of the station and you curse under your breath and weigh waiting vs. walking.  Maybe you see nothing at all and you really, truly don't know whether to leave the fare paid area and start walking only to see your connection show up a couple of blocks down the road and you've got no way of getting on without paying again or stay and wait however long it takes.  I'm sure I can't be the only one here who pleaded the case of having an invalid transfer three blocks from the subway station to the driver of a bus or streetcar hoping they'd be sympathetic to the "I had to start walking because I had no idea when the next one was going to arrive".  Sometimes they'd let you on, sometimes not.

Add to that, service got pared back with the ALRVs specifically.  The TTC really got into running larger vehicles less often when those arrived so if you were on Bathurst or Queen, you knew if you missed a car, it was going to be a wait for sure.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

At the moment, 4193 appears to be having mechincal issues at Bathurst Station, and due to that 4040, 4164 and 4170 are having to divert to Spadina Stn. 

Now fire investigation, 511’s are basically using Spadina lol