Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

Don't you know? The 510 was extended to York Region to help appease those complaining about the commute from there. Kinda like the time based transfer on St. Clair was a way to appease the locals there. So it's actually one of those dual use stops. The YRT buses drop off there and the TTC picks up from there. ;)

Don't you know? The 510 was extended to York Region to help appease those complaining about the commute from there. Kinda like the time based transfer on St. Clair was a way to appease the locals there. So it's actually one of those dual use stops. The YRT buses drop off there and the TTC picks up from there. ;)

It also operates on Spadina Road in York Region. ;) Spadina bus!

Just an FYI, more than a few years ago I found the same YRT temporary stop pole in the supervisor's room on the streetcar platform at Spadina (the door was open, I didn't go snooping :P). It's a mystery as to how it found its way into the station but it's been kicking around for a while... they just reused it for the 510 shuttle stop. Not incredibly necessary though, it's obvious which bay is the 510's.

I rode on the Eglinton Ave West Bus and the driver patched the supervisor onto the speaker in the bus and told everyone that there is a delay to due to construction and the bus will be short turned at Jane.

Wonder why they couldn't do that before? Makes such a difference.

I rode on the Eglinton Ave West Bus and the driver patched the supervisor onto the speaker in the bus and told everyone that there is a delay to due to construction and the bus will be short turned at Jane.

CIS has been able to do a PA call for a while ... they usually don't do it for whatever reason ... Occasionally with fare disputes or disorderly passengers they will do a "This is a TTC Supervisor at 'Transit Control'... Police have been dispatched" sort of PA call ... it really depends on the CIS dispatcher and the situation... its not unheard of, but its not really a regular occurrence either...

I noticed that the TTC has started installing next arrive/service displays at the entrances to the turnstiles. Some of them have been positioned in okay locations whereas some are in ridiculous places. Such as the one at Bloor where it is on the ceiling and not facing the entrances...I hope they have put some thought into this one particular screen as it's basically not noticeable at all.

They can and some do, some don't. It just sounds more 'official'. Some do it for the very reason you just stated, hoping people still won't get peed off and complain to the driver thinking it's his fault.(even though they still do)

Two reasons. One i was standing beside the operator when he pressed the speaker button to put the supervisor through the speakers on the bus.

Second the person on the PA identified himself as the supervisor of the route.

Would the driver identify himself as the supervisor? Plus he wasn't holding the PA at the time.

Don't know where to put this, but for some reason 1687 has a smaller than average automated stop sign.

I would guess it's from a GM. I'm sure there are lots of those size signs available for when others fail. :mellow:

Two reasons. One i was standing beside the operator when he pressed the speaker button to put the supervisor through the speakers on the bus...

It doesn't quite work that way, but no worries, I don't doubt that it was an announcement from CIS. I was asking merely out of curiosity. I suspect that the driver called in and asked if the supervisor would do that for him.

To what end exactly and for what reason?

For some people if there is an announcement from a supervisor as compared to "just a driver" it's more official somehow. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way some people are. So to that end it MAY defuse some peoples irritation. Also I'm surprised that it was done this way. I would think that with traffic that bad the supervisor would be pulling his/her hair out trying to determine who to short turn and where etc. to try to keep some semblance of reasonable under the circumstances headways. If every driver approaching the traffic asked for this announcement they wouldn't be able to keep up with everything.

All that said I've found that as long as you are clear with your announcements, and despite the clarity are ready to answer some stupid follow up questions and deal with the people that have their music too load to have a clue as to what you said then you don't need such subterfuge.

For some people if there is an announcement from a supervisor as compared to "just a driver" it's more official somehow. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way some people are. So to that end it MAY defuse some peoples irritation. Also I'm surprised that it was done this way. I would think that with traffic that bad the supervisor would be pulling his/her hair out trying to determine who to short turn and where etc. to try to keep some semblance of reasonable under the circumstances headways. If every driver approaching the traffic asked for this announcement they wouldn't be able to keep up with everything.

All that said I've found that as long as you are clear with your announcements, and despite the clarity are ready to answer some stupid follow up questions and deal with the people that have their music too load to have a clue as to what you said then you don't need such subterfuge.

So, in other words and more to the point, no different than what I just stated in the previous 3 posts.

Don't know where to put this, but for some reason 1687 has a smaller than average automated stop sign.

I would guess it's from a GM. I'm sure there are lots of those size signs available for when others fail. :mellow:

During the installation process of the AA screens a few years back, a handful of NG Hybrids received smaller screens. I believe this was due to a shortage of the larger screens. 1687 was one of those buses. Another NG that comes to mind is 1277.